Ahhh, my knees!

When I went to Mass, I was kneeling for about 10-20 minutes and my knees started to really hurt. Even after Mass, my knees still felt a little sore.

Will my knees stop hurting after I get get used to kneeling more? Or are my knees just weird?

Reminds me of the Elvis song,

All shook up…

My hands are shaky and my knees are weak
I can’t seem to stand on my own two feet
Who do you thank when you have such luck?
I’m in love I’m all shook up Mm mm oh, oh, yeah, yeah!

:smiley:

I tore my meniscus playing football and then basketball. Eventually, i had to have it scoped. I sometimes have a hard time kneeling for long periods of time. If it hurts, stop. There is no reason to be uncomfortable during prayer.

After a while I learned to position my knees in a certain way so they wouldn’t hurt. (Takes time. I don’t think I could explain it. I just did it by shifting myself around a bit.) Though after a certain age, I imagine it gets hard no matter what you do. You aren’t obligated to kneel if you have a physical problem. I see many older folks sitting when others are kneeling. Just give it time; maybe you have to develop “knee calluses”.

:);)

Pray at home kneeling on the floor. I think you will get used to it. I used to love kneeling so much. (Alas, I have lost the ability and miss it.) Respect your body’s limits until you get used to it. Also, some kneelers are much too narrow. Also, sit where there is nothing attached to the back of the pew so you can kneel with your back upright. Also (one more) you might find kneeling right on the floor easier.

i feel your pain! i was in a car accident a few years past, and it hurts for me too. let me also say…on a semi-unrelated note to the other respondent: careful about quoting Elvis. he shook his pelvis, and that kind of talk will apparently get you censured on this site. i said S H Blank T and they censured me. Brave new forum.

If you are young it probably will get easier. When I genuflect it hurts. I can kneel at most for twenty or twenty-five minutes. I am 54 and obese but I still try to genuflect and kneel. If you have a knee problem though it could be an issue. Some people just scoot forward on the pew and put their knees on the kneeler, doing a sort of half kneel half sit. If you are kneeling on the floor you can put a jacket down to protect your knees.

I find I need to lean on a chair or pew to get up and down. The diet starts Monday.

A few random points and thoughts about this:

1) if you're young, and have normal weight and "construction" (ie, no messed up stuff in there), you should just keep trying. Your knees will get tougher and more used to it. I used to not be able to kneel long, now it's second nature, and more prayerful than sitting, even if it hurts a little during longer periods. Now I can kneel 30-40 minutes and actually pray while doing it.
2) if you're older or not normal (from sports or whatever), I'd talk to a doc before trying to kneel a lot and get used to it. You might just end up hurting yourself more.

Yeah, you have to train to be a Catholic! Up, down, up, kneel, it’s like an exercise program!

:smiley:

Seriously, it does get easier, and if you haven’t had knee injuries, you shouldn’t have problems after a few weeks. If you have had knee injuries, then do the “tripod” kneel where you keep your knees on the kneeler but sort of sit back so your rear end hits the seat behind you and takes some of the weight off your knees. I have to do that now since I have fallen and bunged up both of my knees.

[quote="Zenkai, post:1, topic:301888"]
When I went to Mass, I was kneeling for about 10-20 minutes and my knees started to really hurt. Even after Mass, my knees still felt a little sore.

Will my knees stop hurting after I get get used to kneeling more? Or are my knees just weird?

[/quote]

If kneeling causes discomfort it might be best not to keep doing it, I made the mistake of always kneeling and causing injury to my knees and now I'm disabled.

[quote="datritle, post:7, topic:301888"]
i feel your pain! i was in a car accident a few years past, and it hurts for me too. let me also say..on a semi-unrelated note to the other respondent: careful about quoting Elvis. he shook his pelvis, and that kind of talk will apparently get you censured on this site. i said S H Blank T and they censured me. Brave new forum.

[/quote]

and you insist on doing it again.:sad_bye:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:10, topic:301888"]
Yeah, you have to train to be a Catholic! Up, down, up, kneel, it's like an exercise program!

[/quote]

You know, I have noticed my one glute and hamstring tone up since attending the EF Mass and having to constantly genuflect. :D

The kneeling should get easier, but personally, I find kneeling on stairs or the floor easier and less painful than kneeling on the kneelers. The kneelers don't stick out from the pew enough for me, so the corner on the board under the padding digs in under my knee cap.

I’ve started skipping the kneeler and just kneeling directly on the floor; I think it allows my knees to distribute my weight naturally as opposed to placing all of my weight on the front third of my knees. You might give it a shot. Also, if the floor is tile you could bring a small pad to kneel on.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28391486.jpg

I have a spot in my right knee (sometimes both) that is very tender and sensitive and only bothers me when kneeling. Probably bone spurs to go along the bone spurs in my arthritic shoulder. Getting old is not fun.

I'm 46 and and thin yet when my back is acting up I at times cannot get up from kneeling. So at those times when my back is acting up, I move toward the front edge of the pew and lean my elbows on the pew in front of me and put my head in my hands to pray. If you see me sitting at the end of a pew and I don't move in for you it is probably my back acting up and the need to stretch my legs so it all does not tighten up - resulting in a massive spasm.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

At the beginning of my journey into Catholicism in 1992 I used to think the kneeling would never end! Today I often think of that and wonder how it has become so comfortable. At times, I shift, to get more comfortable, but I do marvel at how natural it has become for me. It really was very foreign at first and now just second nature and plenty of God’s Grace!

I hear you. I have a knee condition called chondromalacia, where the cartilage inside the patella is actually torn. I sustained it in an incident last summer, but it really was a culmination of many years of athletics. What I do is a bow instead of genuflecting when my knees are acting up, and I do the half-sit routine when called on to kneel.

My knee surgeon has prescribed a series of injections to supplement the cartilage, they are called synvisc (no cortisone involved.) I'm told this will increase the cushioning in my knees, and am looking forward to completing the treatment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.