Airstrikes on ISIS Militants Have Begun, Kurds and Iraqis Say

nytimes.com/2014/08/08/world/middleeast/obama-weighs-military-strikes-to-aid-trapped-iraqis-officials-say.html

Kurdish and Iraqi officials attributed the bombing campaign to American forces. But the Pentagon firmly denied that American forces had begun a bombing campaign. Pentagon officials said it was possible that allies of the United States, either the Iraqi or Turkish militaries, had conducted the bombing.

Probably all involved I would hope. The US said on the news the Iraq military supplied the air strikes and they are supporting with air drops. Lots in innocent Christians and Muslims persecuted, over one -hundred thousand Christians displaced and leaving and forty thousand Muslims. Barbaric to say the least.

Wipe them out, all of them, to the last wild beast of them.

Linus2nd

That’s not a Christian attitude toward enemies. All persons are created in the image and likeness of God and have intrinsic dignity,regardless of their sins. Needless killing should be avoided whenever possible.

That is true, but I think American airpower can be a game changer and provide the extra needed support that ISIS’ opponents could certainly use.

ChadS

foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/07/iraq-air-drops/

Official now

We as Christians have a moral obligation to defend innocent people against murderers.

Don’t confuse turning the other cheek with defense against murderers.

Jim

I will follow the lead that Pope Francis gives to us. Prayer and fasting can be a game changer. Do you believe the Holy Spirit will lead all who truly seek God to the truth?

Do you think Our Lord is unaware that 1600 year old churches are being demolished?

For my part I can only be ashamed that my witness has not brought greater harmony and assisted an open dialogue that can lead only to the One, True God. The Second Person of the Trinity is coming to bring all of us home; praise Lord Jesus. We must bear faithful witness to Christ Jesus and reflect His Grace with peace and harmony in loving our neighbor.

According to the BBC, Mr Obama is quoted as saying

US President Barack Obama says he has authorised targeted airstrikes against Islamic militants in northern Iraq, if they threaten US interests. and He said that US air strikes would target IS fighters, should they move towards Irbil. bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28699832

:amen: Let these guys go meet their Allah and face the consequences of their actions.

Yes.

I also believe in prayers being answered. Along with so many praying for those being slaughtered by ISIS – the Commander-in-Chief allowing air strikes may be the first Pro-life action this president even made.

I found this fascinating article on the BBC about the Yazidi religious minority, who have had to flee to the mountains to escape. I had never even heard of this religion, but it seems it incorporates aspects of Christianity and Islam.

Peaceful people who have been living their faith for centuries are being persecuted, along with the (mostly Catholic) Christian minority. It’s a terrible situation.

bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28686607

If they die then they will most certainly meet Allah Who is the same as our God. Muslims believe in the same God that we do although they believe in Him incorrectly. Indeed God will judge them for whatever sins they have committed during their lives on earth. Let us hope and pray that they truly repent of any evil deeds that they have done so that they can be in Heaven someday too. Let us also pray for their conversion to Catholicism. I definitely want to see justice served but that they convert to Catholicism or at least sincerely repent and do good deeds so that God will be merciful to them.

"You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
(Matthew 5:43-48 RSV-CE)

That said, I sincerely hope that these airstrikes will help to dismantle ISIS. I also hope that the aid packages will actually get to the refugees and those who are being severely persecuted. I fear that ISIS could confiscate the aid packages.

Above all else, let us pray for an end to this evil conflict in Iraq. Let us pray that ISIS would be defeated and that all members of ISIS would be touched by the Holy Spirit and repent of any wicked deeds that they have carried out.

They control 30% of Iraq and 30% of Syria today and have grown a great deal in 6-weeks. Isis is expanding.

And while there are thousands of hostages, in a word a massacre, murder, rape and slavery.

They are advancing on Irbil now where the Christians and other so-called “infidels” are taking refuge after fleeing the radicals idea of Mohammads sword. They are literally hunting unarmed, innocent civilians.

My prayers are with these innocent people of Christianity and Islam, they are clearly in harms way today.

Yeah it is a really horrible thing that is going on in Iraq and Syria. To be honest with you, I wouldn’t be surprised to see other groups linked to ISIS pop up in other parts of the world. I think, but am not sure, that ISIS has ties to Al Qaeda. I think that Boko Haram also has ties to Al Qaeda.

You know, I am just wondering, is there any possible way for foreign military action to be taken in Iraq without violating the Just War Doctrine? If anyone knows, I’d appreciate the answer. From what I understand of Just War Doctrine, the only kind of war that is justifiable is a defensive war in which the victim nation fights against the attacking nation. I have never heard whether or not foreign intervention in someone else’s war qualifies.

I would really love to see ISIS obliterated. I would especially love to see all of the members of ISIS convert to Catholicism. However, I really do think that the ISIS organization needs to be destroyed. They are clearly going to have more power so long as they have an organized structure and such.

There is one more thing I am thinking about. Where on earth are these terrorist groups getting their funding from? I think I watched a Vice News video on Youtube a while back which said that some very rich people in Saudi Arabia fund various jihadist/Islamist groups. If this is true then why on earth isn’t Saudi Arabia taking action against them? After all, Saudi Arabia is supposedly our ally and is opposed to terrorism so wouldn’t they want to take action against those who are funding terrorism?

Airstrikes may help to win the current battle, but the Middle Easter political and religious war is a long way from over.

The following link gives some background to the ISIS problem.

vox.com/2014/6/13/5803712/11-things-iraq-crisis-isis

One of the biggest problems seems to be the division of Iraq along Sunni and Shi’ite lines. Even the Iraqi army seems to be dividing along these long standing historical enmities.

Ironically Iran is Shi’ite, and therefore opposed to ISIS which is Sunni based. The Kurds are Sunni themselves, and it may be a bit early to assume they’ll oppose the ISIS along humanitarian grounds.

Add to the mix tribal and sectarian loyalties, and nobody knows what’s going to happen.

Meanwhile Maliki, who is Shi’ite hasn’t done anything to encourage Sunni participation in Iraqi society.

It’s a long way from finished, airstrikes or not.

Plus, the fact so many are being killed for being Christians over there. and yet with so many people praying about this, still nothing happens to resolve it…? Now that the US is getting back into Iraq again, this will only lead to alot more violence and be another drawn out quagmire.

All the training and support the US gave to the Iraq police and military, and the first sign of even lightly armed ISIS groups, they turn tail and run for the hills and give up right away…?? Why will this time be any different?

I think people dont rely on prayer, because they havent seen anything in the past that leads them to believe it will solve a major problem like this, as we know Gods time is not our time, and most situations here require quick actions and responses.

U.S. fighters dropped bombs on Islamic militants in Iraq Friday, the Pentagon said, redeeming President Barack Obama’s promise of military force to counter the advancing militants and confront the threat they pose to Iraqi civilians and Americans.

Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said that two F/A-18 jets dropped 500-pound bombs on a piece of artillery and the truck towing it.

In a televised to the speech Thursday night, Obama had threatened to renew U.S. military involvement in Iraq’s long sectarian war. He said that American military planes already had carried out airdrops of food and water, at the request of the Iraqi government, to tens of thousands of Iraqi religious minorities atop a mountain surrounded by militants and desperately in need of supplies.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FPolitics%2FwireStory%2Fus-weighs-humanitarian-aid-trapped-iraqis-24883946&ei=cdLkU9ngG4TR8AG-1IHADg&usg=AFQjCNERkD3bYTShpmj4N7KzjvSu98BGqA

Unfolding now. This doesn’t look good, he should go to Congress.

Congress went home for summer vacation, and would refuse to return over this.

The GOP controlled house will come back and complain about Obama’s use of US military to save these people.

The Democrats will complain that the GOP is using the issue for political purposes.

In other words the endless cycle of divided politics.

Jim

The Just War Doctrine does not require that a nation react only if it’s attacked first. That’s a misconception. It’s a matter of whether there is a current, grave evil that can be successfully opposed with a minimum of injury to the innocent. The evil can be occurring in a different country. In WWII, the U.S. was attacked, but not by Germany and certainly not by Italy. And yet, we warred against them because of the evils they were perpetrating, including unwarranted and threatening conquest of others.

Bin Ladin himself was a wealthy Saudi. There are a lot of very wealthy Saudis. The government can control some of what they do, but not all. Same with the other oil states. But it is important to remember that Saudis and the other oil states’ governments fear Iran a lot more than they fear ISIS. Likely they consider ISIS to be a counterweight to Iran.

And the oil states might well figure that Iran and ISIS will end up fighting each other (which is likely) leaving them alone.

Since we are no longer involved in the central Middle East and are not trusted as an ally by much of anybody, there isn’t any block to Iranian conquest other than ISIS.

I’m not justifying ISIS in any way, but the whole Middle East is now a developing battleground between Iran and its proxies versus ISIS. People are going to take sides depending on who seems the more threatening. Since Iran considers Sunnis “heretics” who should be converted to Shia or slain, and since ISIS is Sunni, then the Sunni states are going to look at ISIS differently from the way we do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.