Al-Jazeera: Tests suggest Arafat died of polonium poisoning

Recent tests conducted on Yasser Arafat’s personal belongings at the time of his unexpected death in 2004 suggest his body contained abnormal levels of radioactive polonium, the same poisonous substance that killed Russian spy-turned-dissident Alexander Litvinenko, Al-Jazeera TV reports.

Al-Jazeera says its nine-month investigation found that Arafat was in good health until he fell suddenly ill Oct. 12, 2004, at his compound in Ramallah on the West Bank. He was flown to a French miitary hospital in Paris, where he died several days later.

content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/07/al-jazeera-tests-hint-yasser-arafat-died-of-polonium-poisoning/1#.T_Ok8vXNmqc

I saw this on Al-Jazeera today. Scientist studying it says there is an over 50% chance he was poisoned but they would have to exhume the body to know for sure. Arafat’s widow is willing, we will see where this goes from here.

Until we have confirmation from an neutral source, all we have are wild-haired claims from a source not exactly known for being unbiased.

Interesting findings. The question then turns to who would do it and who had access to polonium.

Arafat died because he was an old evil scumbag, who justified the use of terrorism to get his way.

If is probable he died from AIDS.

Polonium-210 is rare and the only production of it comes from nuclear reactors. It is impossible that Arafat would have come into contact with a natural source significant enough to account for unusually high traces of it on his personal belongings considering the fact that he was kept under house arrest in his compound for the two years prior to his illness. You don’t have to look too far to find an enemy with both the means and motives.

I figured as much. So, that limits it (in terms of likelihood) to Israel, Pakistan (maybe, I haven’t checked which branches of Islam were dominating those countries/organizations at that time), the US, UK (less likely, but possible), and Russia (I never rule out Russia in these cases).

It also occurs naturally, and can be purchased freely in the US in any number of small units.

Given that it was Arafat:

Those with the means: Almost anyone
Those with the motives: Slightly less than almost anyone.

Confirmed: Arafat Died of AIDS

israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/123347#.T_UJ6ayF_Iw

Polonium-210 is a bit of a stretch, and so far the chances there is a lethal dose are only slightly greater than 50%. Polonium-210 is the KGB’s weapon of choice in a number of instances. However, I think the better chance, looking at his health towards the end of his life, is that he had AIDS or some other type of STD. Funny those were discounted without testing for them.

id bet it was israel, jews will do anything to control whats not theirs.

Good golly, I hope this is mean to be hyperbole!

A pity his wife didn’t agree to an autopsy after his death, it may have put to bed some of the conspiracies.

I’m not sure what type of relevance I would place on items tested 8 years after his death.

Francois Bochud, who heads the Institute of Radiation Physics in Lausanne, Switzerland, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that his lab examined belongings that Arafat’s widow said were used by Arafat in his final days, as well as others that he hadn’t worn. Suha Arafat said the belongings were put in a secure room at her attorney’s office in Paris after Arafat’s death and stayed there until Al-Jazeera approached the lab on her behalf at the beginning of this year, he added.

Experts found what Bochud characterized as “very small” quantities of polonium, an isotope that is naturally present in the environment. But there were higher quantities of polonium in Arafat’s underwear and hospital clothing…

cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57466369/palestinians-may-exhume-yasser-arafats-body-for-tests/

Yes, in radioactive uranium deposits. Which, I might add, Arafat would undoubtedly not have found lying around in the two years he was kept under house arrest by the IDF.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no saying it isn’t a pretty clear sign that someone either did kill him or was in the process of trying to kill him, I’m saying that the stuff is easy enough to get, and he had enough enemies that you can’t really point fingers.

I don’t know. Polonium has a half-life of 138 days, which means half the radioactivity of the sample disappears every four and a half months or so. Eight years later, only a tiny, tiny amount should be left from the original dose, on the order of just one atom per million. According to an Israeli scientist, the amount the Swiss lab found recently in Arafat’s possessions is simply too high to believe that it started decaying in 2004:

jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?ID=276447&R=R1

Interesting…

Either way, there’s a conspiracy. :smiley:

More from Legal Insurrection

"We have featured Pallywood here many times, the industry build on faux.

From numerous instances of fauxtography to wildly exaggerated reports of massacres, this industry is devoted to building the narrative of perpetual Palestinian victimhood. From the archives:

Abid Katib – Palestinian Shoe Fauxtographer? (funny how those kids shoes keep showing up in his photos of Israeli atrocities)
More Pallywood (Palestinian girl being stepped on by “Israeli” soldier)
Another Pallywood hoax exposed, again (same photo, circulated again)
Pallywood never dies (photo of girl killed by Israelis turns out was in car accident)
Did You Hear The One About How Palestinians Can’t Eat Chocolate?

It looks like we are seeing the same thing with the claim that polonium was used by the Israelis to kill Arafat 8 years ago. "

legalinsurrection.com/2012/07/pallywood-does-polonium/

It would be easier to accept the source if they didn’t use cutsy terms like “pallywood” and “fauxtographer”.

I saw a story on CNN several years ago that shortly after the Iraq War began in 2003, British PM Tony Blair had to talk George Bush out of an ordering an American airstrike against the Al Jazeera home office, transmitters, and studios. I’m not a huge fan of the former president, but I think the world would be a better place without Al Jazeera.

Who WOULDN’T want to do it??? In fact… I am shocked, stunned, and amazed that the Israelis, the United States, or some other entity never killed him DECADES ago! As for access to polonium… the U.S. and Russia certainly have access to something like that, and many governments and organizations are clever enough to get it.

Polonium 208 has a half-life of 2.9 years so the question is; which isotope was discovered? Polonium 208 or Polonium 210? There is one more thing that the Jerusalem Post failed to consider; Arafat’s wife isn’t dying of Polonium poisoning or known to be suffering any of the consequences of exposure to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.