Alabama justice says the First Amendment only protects Christians

msnbc.com/the-last-word/judge-first-amendment-only-christians

“They didn’t bring the Koran over on the pilgrim ship, the Mayflower” Chief Justice Roy Moore announced at the Pastor for Life Luncheon, an event hosted in January by Pro-Life Mississippi. In a video obtained and released by Raw Story last Friday, Moore told his audience that religion in the First Amendment only applied to the God in the Bible.

“Let’s get real. Let’s learn our history. Let’s stop playing games,” said Moore at the Jackson, Miss. event.

“Everybody, to include the U.S. Supreme Court, has been deceived as to one little word in the First Amendment called ‘religion.’ They can’t define it,” the state’s chief justice said. “They can’t define it the way Mason, Madison and even the United State Supreme Court defined it, ‘the duties we owe to the creator and the manner of discharging it.’ They don’t want to do that, because that acknowledges a creator god.”

I would just like to say---------I haven’t listened to the whole speech on RAW STORY and am planning on doing so first thing------so it is possible the good Judge may have had his comments taken completely out of context by biased, “interested” parties-------and if so, that is outrageous…:thumbsup:

But IF these words and others quoted in the article accurately reflect the judge’s words, then I totally disagree and am shocked the man would express these views. :blush:

As it is--------comments are welcome.

Why are you shocked? I’m sure he’s saying what a lot of people think. I bet if you slipped him some truth serum he thinks Catholics aren’t Christians.

It’s sad that any lawyer, much less a judge, should try to use a hodge-podge of bad history to claim that the Declaration and Constitution are Christian documents.

adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html?ModPagespeed=noscript

This is a debated point and quotes can be brought from both sides, quotes can be cherry picked. Still, I think a point can be made that most of our Founding Fathers overwhelmingly were Christian and that their rules were for Christian religions not for Buddhists, Muslims and others.

So non-Christians who are citizens of this land are not covered under the First Amenment, then?

Just asking.

As I always say. :D:)

Yeah, you are right. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

There are some on this forum who “debate” whether the Sun or Earth is the center of the Solar system.

The fact that the Founders were all Christians (some only nominally, btw) does not mean that the Constitution is for Christians only. The Founders set up a secular legal system. They intended the Constitution to endure and I’m sure they knew the future would bring change.

And now days it doesn’t do too good a job of protecting them either-ask the “Little Sisters of the Poor”

True. :(:frowning:

True also. :frowning:

Probably not.

Except maybe the religion of Native Americans.

This is irrelevant and should only be seen as a broadside against those who don’t want to see it in a way in accordance with the above views.

Of course, there was nothing wrong with pointing out that some Christians didn’t consider “Catholics Christians” either right off.

And of course, Catholics were included among the Founding Fathers and the Anglican Church in those days may have been even more similar to the Catholic Faith, I don’t know.

Thomas Jefferson drafted legislation to mutilate Rapists, Polygamists and Sodomists and was a Slave owner of course.

monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/bill-64

So we really are saying they took into account all religions?

With all due respect, Path_Finder------

That is a horrifying scenario you are setting up there.

I would not want any part of it, to be sure. :mad::shrug:

With all due Respect OrdinaryMelkite,

You would be saying the equivalent of the 1st amendment would be to put up next to the 10 Commandments or anywhere God is mentioned on memorials, Atheists and Satanic memorials as well? Or quotes from the Koran?

That is a horrifying scenario you are setting up there.

I would not want any part of it, to be sure.

:frowning:

By the way, it is a historical precedent, no one is setting something up. As said above, the Founding Fathers believed a lot of things.

Well, I guess it is a judge from Alabama we are talking about. :shrug:

What does that mean? Care to clarify? Are you singling out a single region of this country?

It’s funny how no one can debate the actuality of what he said but just bring in some sort of persecution of the past or refer to a state in a derisive way.

Hmmn, the same state whose Supreme Court judged life begins at conception.

Sure, I don’t want to see Nativity scenes taken down at Christmas because it might offend those of some religions. But to each their own!

NA religions wouldn’t be protected nor would Catholicism if the social norms and laws of the time are supposed to be any indication of who’s religion was protected under the 1st Amendment.

Maryland is named after the Virgin Mary. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:History_of_Maryland So much for persecution.

Some Founding Fathers were Catholics.

I’ve backed up my points, you have not. There is no reason to believe what you assert.

Unitarians and Quakers, popular in Colonial America are not known for persecuting other Christians.

Mormons were only cracked down on because of their Marital Customs.

Louisiana, heavy French Populaces had many Catholics to begin with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.