Alabama Official Refuses to Lower Flags to Hal-Staff Following Orlando Massacre

nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/alabama-official-refuses-lower-flags-half-staff-after-orlando-massacre-n594826

I guess this is their way of showing disdain for Obama. That’s the only sense I can make out of this.

I’m no fan of Obama, but this seems kind of wrong to me.

Did you read the story? It pretty much explains the decision. :shrug:

Dorsey, a Republican, said he also refused to lower the flags after the attacks in Paris and in San Bernardino.

“When the flag is at half-staff, our country’s head is figuratively held low, and quite frankly, I am not willing to hang my head down because of a terrorist attack against our people and our allies,” Dorsey wrote. “We need more than a gesture as a response. I want us, as Americans, to stand tall, courageously, and fight back against the forces of evil, and let’s fight like we intend to win.”

While I disagree with his reasons and his understandings of what it means to lower one’s flag, he does explain himself well enough.

People do not need to make up reasons of their own why he is acting the way that he is.

When discotheques have been bombed in Israel, the typical response was to ensure that the club was ready to be opened for the next weekend, or sooner. That is above all the correct response to terrorism, Defiance and fearlessness are what is sufficient to take take the main weapons out of the terrorist arsenal.
Flags at half mast are the traditional means to show respect for those who have died for America. Flying the American flag at half mast recognizes the scores of wounded and dead as American martyrs and American heroes

. I think that the official is wrong to believe that it is somehow an act of humiliation on behalf of America to express their grief, respect and admiration for sacrifice in this way. Flying the flag at half mast never meant that America is not still standing tall.

I am sure some liberal will argue that he is being racist.

Why liberal?

Liberals didn’t refute to lower flags for 9/11 or columbine or sandy hook.

This is more right wing throwing a temper tantrum.

The rules also state that the Commander in Chief may modify The rules by proclamation.

law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/10

Apparently, it is also not supposed to be used for advertising, nor should it be printed on napkins or paper products that are meant for temporary use (there goes the 4th of July decorations), no part of the flag should be used as part of a costume, and as for how people display the flag on their cars, let’s just say not proper.

Republicans are always participating in some -ism or -phobia in their eyes :shrug:

And Democrats have never found a debauchery that they didn’t support. :shrug:

Not this one…it’s not racism, but it certainly is not classy. Just as there are educated MENSA members who are racists, there are also racists who are uneducated morons…racism and stupidity aren’t mutually exclusive.

Because most of the victims were Latino? Also, possibly homophobic since most were gay. But neither is the reason, as the official explains. I happen to disagree and think it is a matter of respect to lower the flag half-staff, but at least he gives a justifiable explanation.

According to the link:

“An Alabama county official refused to lower flags to half-staff this week in honor of the victims of the mass shooting at a gay club in Orlando, saying that doing so would signal a lack of resolve in the face of terrorism.”

You are a liberal who seems to give a good amount of thought behind your positions. Some liberals and conservatives can be rather knee jerk in their positions.

Thank you for the compliment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.