Alaska dog honored for leading troopers to fire

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – Buddy the German shepherd was hailed Friday as a hero for guiding Alaska State Troopers through winding back roads to a fire at his owners' workshop. "Buddy is an untrained dog who for some reason recognized the severity of the situation and acted valiantly in getting help for his family," Col. Audie Holloway, head of the troopers, said Friday at a ceremony for the 5-year-old dog, who stood quietly before an adoring crowd. Buddy, whose good deed was caught on a patrol car's dashcam video, received a stainless steel dog bowl engraved with words of appreciation from troopers for his "diligence and assistance." news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100424/ap_on_re_us/us_hero_dog#mwpphu-container This story is wonderful. Buddy is my hero!

What an amazing story!

You can watch the dash cam video of the police cruiser as Buddy finds the cop, and leads him to the burning house.

community.adn.com/adn/node/151322

Here is another video of the chase with reporters interviewing the police officer. It's interesting to hear how he viewed the event:

video.foxnews.com/#/v/4165457/real-life-rin-tin-tin/?playlist_id=87937

I grew up with German Shepherds and they are one really smart breed!

Dogs Rule. :cool:

Funny... I didn't hear about this on the news... and I'm in the greater Anchorage area.

That seems strange, since the story has been getting national attention and was even picked up by two or three UK newspapers.

The Anchorage Daily News posted a couple stories on their website, but I don’t know whether the story made it into the print edition.

adn.com/2010/04/22/1246098/hero-dog-leads-trooper-to-caswell.html

adn.com/2010/04/23/1247548/alaska-dog-honored-for-leading.html

Let’s hear it for Rin Tin Tin! He earned his very own sterling silver doggie bowl. :cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.