Albuquerque dog becomes registered voter

An Albuquerque man says he successfully registered his dog to vote in Bernalillo County.

The dog owner said he saw a voter registration booth on the University of New Mexico’s campus a few weeks ago and decided to see how easy it would be to register his dog to vote.

He said he was trying to expose the problems with the registration system. He said he just received the dog’s voter registration card in the mail Wednesday, and it was way too easy.

“They should verify. Somebody should have verified this information and somebody should have come out and took a look at exactly who it was. But I made up a birth date, and I made up a social security number and I had a voter registration card in my hand for Buddy two weeks later,” the dog owner said.

kob.com/article/stories/S2518479.shtml

This is like walking into a gun store and saying they make murder too easy. Fraud is a serious crime and this guy just admitted to it.

Wonder if he registered the dog as Republican.:slight_smile:

Gun stores have safeguards. Voter registration obviously works on the “saturday night special” model.

It would only really be fraud if he intended to vote for Buddy, which I see no indication of. This was an experiment of a whistleblower nature.

Buddy probably won’t pay any attention to the political commercials anyway.

I suppose the point of the story is that states should tighten the rules requiring identification to ensure no one is committing fraud by voting illegally. This is what many Republicans are pushing for, with some success, and many Democrats fighting against. The latter say it discriminates against those who don’t have birth certificates (or other forms of identification), having not been born in a hospital, and that would include elderly ethnic minorities as well as poor Whites. It is also too reminiscent of the days when Blacks were denied voting rights, and is seen as a ploy by Republicans to cut down on Democratic voters. And there does not appear to be much evidence of voter fraud, so the whole problem has been largely manufactured by Republican politicians. Now that we know the intent of the article, we can proceed to discuss it.

:rolleyes:

Related:

One in eight U.S. voter registrations is invalid or markedly inaccurate, the result of an outdated and inefficient registration system, a **Pew Center on the States **report said on Tuesday.

More than 1.8 million dead people are listed as active U.S. voters, and about 2.75 million people have active registration in more than one state, according to the research by the non-partisan think tank.

U.S. electoral systems “are plagued with errors and inefficiencies that waste taxpayer dollars, undermine voter confidence, and fuel partisan disputes over the integrity of our elections,” the report said.

Read the full article at reuters.com.

Yeeeaaaaah… about that…

To YOU, maybe…

The Republicans manufacture a problem and then propose a solution that won’t fix it, but will only disenfranchise millions of legitimate voters. It doesn’t take much effort to understand what the true motive behind all the voter ID laws is really about.

Yeah, like Buddy the dog here… or Mickey Mouse. I’m glad we still have people willing to fight for the civil rights of household pets and cartoon characters. Why’s Jesse Jackson never around when you need him anymore?

Maybe, too, the dogs who are urged by the US Selective Service to sign up for a (possible) military draft?
enquirer.com/editions/1999/08/27/loc_mail_pours_in_for.html

Then again, maybe those dogs can use their credit cards to buy their way out of that obligation.

Is the Pew Research Center a Republican entity?

Speaking as an outsider.

I don’t see how requiring ID and such disinfranchises anyone. It isn’t exactly hard for a legal resident to get an ID card.
Who exactly is disinfranchised? The elderly have been mentioned, why don’t they have Social Security numbers? How do they collect without them? Certainly throughout their lives they’ve been through enough government databases that they can prove their identity even without a birth certificate, especially since as I understand it, birth in the US isn’t a requirement to vote, just to be president.

Social Security cards do not have a photo of the individual, and I think that is a requirement of most voter ID proposals in the US.

However, the story in the first post may have nothing to do with voter ID requirements. The Reuters article, which Gilliam later posted, cited a Pew Center on the States report.

That report says that the inaccuracies in US voter registries is largely due to the reliance on old-fashioned paper methods instead of modern electronic methods. The report compares the US to Canada, which has much fewer errors and does the job significantly cheaper.

The report also said that voter fraud was not a problem in the US, however, the numerous errors and difficulties could create the impression of it.

Ah…I missed that part. Well, I’m glad we also get to ignore Democrat’s charges of voter fraud. :thumbsup:

Ok, so why can’t these people get ID with photographs on them?

That is the requirement here, and I’ve never heard of any group claiming to be disenfranchised because of it.

We used to live in Bernalillo County a few years ago when stories of voter fraud were commonplace due to the number of illegal aliens living there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.