Alejandro - Lady Gaga

What do you think of the video? Have you seen the video "Alejandro" by Lady Gaga? If not, here it is:

youtu.be/niqrrmev4mA

Do not watch if you are easily disturbed because it is disrespectful to the Catholic faith. The message of the song and video in a nutshell is this:

• Refusing the salvation of God's mercy
  • Refusing the love of God
  • Refusing to be children of God
  • Defiling the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Virgin Mary
  • Promoting eroticism, hedonism, homosexuality, feminism, authoritarianism
  • Blaspheming against the holy name of God
  • Worshipping Satan

This website explain more:
vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusiness/the-occult-interpretation-of-lady-gagas-alejandro/

Those against the idea of faith and God are using this video to attack Catholics. I have someone in particular posting this video on my social networking page with malicious intent.

Sick. Twisted. Disturbing. Insulting.

I feel bad for her... I can't imagine my life without God.

Lady Gaga really upsets me. Obviously, she isn't a believer herself, but that does not give her the right to disrespect those that do believe, or to disrespect God.

I think Lady Gaga is prove of the moral decay we are witnessing in today's world.

[quote="Sometimes, post:3, topic:253128"]

I think Lady Gaga is prove of the moral decay we are witnessing in today's world.

[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bible predict that this moral decay would occur?

I think it's horrible. Best not to watch :)

One of the great things about God is that he grants us free will and judges us on how we use it. One of the consequences of this is that Satan cannot destroy anyone’s free will, and that even if, in a particular instance, God were to allow Satan to take over someone’s will (as in demonic possession), that person is not culpable for decisions essentially made for him or her by the possessing demon.

The way Satan MUST operate, in normal circumstances, is by getting someone to turn their own heart away from God, and set their own will against God’s.

This, by definition, cannot be accomplished through subliminal mind-control tricks. Satan is much more blunt and up-front about tempting people than that, and for the most part, this blunt approach works just fine. There’s simply no need for Satan to resort to complicated efforts of media control and infiltration of music and television with complicated symbols just to get whatever slight psychological effects may be effected through such mediums. People sinned before television, and people will continue to sin.

What may be useful for Satan, though, is to CONVINCE people that the media they are surrounded by is, in fact, being infiltrated by Satanic messages. Such a belief tends to breed (1) fear of Satan, which is unhealthy; (2) scrupulosity; (3) and in extreme cases, despair. Additionally, for people who actually believe that to listen to Lady Gaga (for example) is a sin, there will be many more sources of temptation in the world than for someone who is confident enough in God’s strength to understand that no video, however rife with demonic symbolism, can rob him of his free will and moral responsibility.

As for the specific case in question: I see no problem with this video. Just a good song with nice dancing. The website OP linked to, however, looks like a new-world-conspiracist site with no credibility whatsoever.

[quote="Catholic_Pony, post:6, topic:253128"]
...What may be useful for Satan, though, is to CONVINCE people that the media they are surrounded by is, in fact, being infiltrated by Satanic messages. Such a belief tends to breed (1) fear of Satan, which is unhealthy; (2) scrupulosity; (3) and in extreme cases, despair. Additionally, for people who actually believe that to listen to Lady Gaga (for example) is a sin, there will be many more sources of temptation in the world than for someone who is confident enough in God's strength to understand that no video, however rife with demonic symbolism, can rob him of his free will and moral responsibility.

[/quote]

People are easily polarized to the point where both extremes are unhealthy. You are correct to point out that catholics must not attempt to "hide" from Satan and any and all people that he has affected in this world. This sort of fortress mentality is a form of selfishness incompatible with the mission of the Church to evangelize the world.

But it is equally (and oppositely) dangerous to take the attitude that one can immerse oneself in moral sewage and not start to get stinky in the process. The fact is that what we allow into our hearts and minds DOES influence us. Ask anybody in advertising. Every one of us thinks advertising doesn't influence our decisions, but they spend billions of dollars a year on it because they've learned that they CAN affect our decisions.

As catholics, we MUST ensure that we give enough time, effort and opportunity for God to speak to our souls louder than our fallen culture does. If we think that weekly mass attendance and a few hurried prayers a day will outweigh the other 16 hours a day that our culture hounds us, we are just kidding ourselves.

To the topic, if you're at a party with friends and a song with evil lyrics comes on, there is no need to run from the room with hands over ears. But I question the wisdom of listening to such things for ones own entertainment when there are better options.

[quote="manualman, post:7, topic:253128"]
People are easily polarized to the point where both extremes are unhealthy. You are correct to point out that catholics must not attempt to "hide" from Satan and any and all people that he has affected in this world. This sort of fortress mentality is a form of selfishness incompatible with the mission of the Church to evangelize the world.

But it is equally (and oppositely) dangerous to take the attitude that one can immerse oneself in moral sewage and not start to get stinky in the process. The fact is that what we allow into our hearts and minds DOES influence us. Ask anybody in advertising. Every one of us thinks advertising doesn't influence our decisions, but they spend billions of dollars a year on it because they've learned that they CAN affect our decisions.

As catholics, we MUST ensure that we give enough time, effort and opportunity for God to speak to our souls louder than our fallen culture does. If we think that weekly mass attendance and a few hurried prayers a day will outweigh the other 16 hours a day that our culture hounds us, we are just kidding ourselves.

To the topic, if you're at a party with friends and a song with evil lyrics comes on, there is no need to run from the room with hands over ears. But I question the wisdom of listening to such things for ones own entertainment when there are better options.

[/quote]

:clapping:

[quote="manualman, post:7, topic:253128"]

[/quote]

:clapping: :clapping: We are called to live in the world, but not be of the world! :clapping: :clapping: :tiphat:

[quote="Sometimes, post:3, topic:253128"]
Lady Gaga really upsets me. Obviously, she isn't a believer herself, but that does not give her the right to disrespect those that do believe, or to disrespect God.

[/quote]

1. What's sad is that she went to Catholic Schools as a child.

2. I really think it's horribly uncharitable to point at a person as the personification of moral decay. Obviously she is someone who is struggling with a really secular and hopeless worldview and has been tricked by Satan and evil. We should feel bad for her and PRAY for her. If we need to bash something, can't we bash the video or the message? Don't bash the person. :(

let me just start off by saying, LADY GAGA IS CATHOLIC… she says in an interview that the thing that she fears most is satan. I think she used religion as a way to grasp peoples interest in the music. She isn’t a perfect christian, but none of us are! This is coming from a catholic, who is also a lady gaga fan :smiley:

She is for gay marriage,the gay lifestyle in general, pre-marital sex, and a sexually promiscous, perverted lifestyle----among other things-----and her videos, concerts and songs support those things as well. If she IS a catholic, she is the strangest, weirdest Catholic I’ve ever seen.

She may think of herself as “Catholic,” but that does not mean she IS. :rolleyes:

Yep. :thumbsup:

Luke 12:48

But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.

God bless her soul. I don’t want to be in her position.

As for #2------good one, Whitacre_Girl. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes I feel we behave like the scribes and pharisees that wanted to stone the woman in John 8. We judge and it is almost like saying “Here she is Lord, we caught her sinning let’s stone her because we are better than her”

Now I don’t blame you, I do this myself and have to, very often, remind myself not to be a hypocrite and take a look at the huge log in my eye first.

We should all try to pray for her :gopray:

What is strange is that she can sing other music. I believe at the Grammy Awards she sang songs from The Sound of Music, and was dressed modestly. Sometimes a little inch like this will give the Holy Spirit something to work with.

Madonna is another one who was educated in Catholic Schools and has some horrible videos, though her voice isn’t bad. I remember the Late Fr. Bemedict Groeshel saying many times he was praying for her to return to the faith. Maybe he’s doing this now.

We must pray for both, but remember God has given us free will and money and fame tends to cloud our vision.

Just in case you didn’t see, that post you’re responding to is four years old, and the poster no longer posts on these forums.

I guess this woldnt be a good time to admit I am a Lady Gaga fan?

No Bob…

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.