All ancient apostolic churches profess & celebrate the same 7 sacraments, so why don't you?

I’ll start by rephrasing the question a bit. Sacrament isn’t a biblical word (except one instance in Douay, go figure). Checking the vulgate we find exactly seven sacramentum. The real question is why don’t you celebrate those?

From Daniel we have the interpretation of dreams as a sacrament. In Ephesians 1:9, God’s will is a sacrament. Ephesians 3:3 has the gospel as a sacrament. 5:32 lists marriage as a sacrament.1 Tim 3:16 is Godliness. Revelation 1:20 shows a sacrament of seven stars in the right hand of Jesus - this must be the seven sacraments!

So Jerome listed the seven sacraments as 1)interpretation of dreams, 2) God’s will 3)the gospel 4)marriage 5)Godliness 6)seven stars and

the final one is the sacrament of the beast and the harlot; the harlot who sits on seven hills (Aventine, Caelian, Capitoline etc.)

But as a more serious answer to your question - experience bears out that the teachings of the Latin Rite do not correspond with reality. Those who are confirmed are rarely seen to have a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word or action, let alone as true witnesses of Christ. This is the main reason for rejection of the existence of sacraments.

Furthermore, by making Holy Orders and Matrimony mutually exclusive, one could say you practice the sacraments (again, not a real word) less than Protestants since you can only do 6 of them (unless you’re a deacon… correct me if I’m wrong on this one).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.