All Are Welcome

The local Catholic church uses the hymn All Are Welcome.

Does your church use the hymn All Are Welcome?        

:harp::harp::harp:

Yes, we do.

We do too.

It’s true, right?

We do from time to time. I have also have heard Homilies at our church that welcome any and all visitors, all are, yes, welcome.

People came up from time to time to welcome me. No one said, “are you Catholic?” I decided to approach THEM, and became Catholic.

It tends to get used on the dedication day of our church. It shows up other times too but not that often.

Good for you, and Welcome as a fellow Convert myself.

No, we sing the more traditional hymns.

Not at our Mass, but the other Masses. sadly, yes it does. All are not welcome to receive our Lord and to “approach the table”. :rolleyes:

I presume it’s this song.

youtube.com/watch?v=mAZC65CwTEA

So what do the visitors sing? :slight_smile:

It’s because all of us are unworthy that we come to church in the first place.

If “All Are Welcome” isn’t an entrance chant you prefer to hear, get over it.

If you honestly think that Mass meant to be attended only by those who have no unconfessed sins, you are in error and there is plenty of documentation to prove it.

I think the problem is some of these types of songs do make it sound like all are welcome to communion, not just attending mass. “Table of Plenty” comes to mind as well. I don’t think anyone would argue that they can’t set foot in the building.

Yes. I’m still trying to figure out what it means to dream God’s reign anew.

:slight_smile: I don’t know, but if I were to write a paper on it,

I’d mention that it sounds like iambic trimeter to me to counter “And words are struck as true.”

But that wasn’t your question, I know. I just happen to notice those things more than the words.

That is one of several OCP songs our pastor does not allow the choir to sing, for obvious theological reasons.

FYI: All are Welcome is published by GIA, not OCP.

No, I don’t think so.

When we were Protestant and attending Catholic Mass every week, we could read clearly (and Protestants do a lot of reading) in the missal that Catholic Communion was not open to non-Catholics.

Assume that most people have basic intelligence and can figure these things out.

Here’s the analogy–when I say, “Welcome to my house!” you know that you are welcome to come in, sit down, enjoy my appetizers and eventually the meal, use my bathroom, etc. You also know that you are NOT welcome to go through my medicine cabinet, flirt with my spouse, discipline my children, help yourself to the canned goods in my pantry, drive my car, etc. Just because you are welcome to my house doesn’t mean you are welcome to be one of my family members.

The thing is, you were (I assume), a Protestant interested in the Catholic faith and already taking things very seriously.

I’m not sure everyone is that diligent. Moreover, the concern applies not only to Protestants, but to Catholics who have been away from the Church or leading lifestyles contrary to Church teaching, or even to wedding or funeral attendees who are not Catholic and don’t have the time or interest to read the guidelines.

Look, I’m not disagreeing with you in substance. Yes, the guidelines are available and understandable (usually). I just think lots of people don’t care or don’t know about them, and songs like this don’t really encourage them to find out.

Another thing, isn’t this song more about “us” than about God? Is the entrance hymn supposed to be about welcoming everyone or worshiping God? The rarely-used (unfortunately) entrance antiphons, to me, are more representative of the attitude whe are idealloy trying to foster at this point in the mass.

A friend of mine once did a wonderful spoof of this: armchairtraditionalist.blogspot.com/2013/05/prayerpoem-of-week-all-are-welcome.html.

I attend the EF, so gratefully I never have to hear such music again.

Cavaille-Coll, What are the theological reasons the priest does want the choir to sing ALL ARE WELCOME?

We currently sing it from time to time. I’m not a big fan of the song though since I think there are many other songs that are better. I do not care at all for the “here at this table” song – I always think “it’s an ALTAR, not a table”… That song is not sung on my watch, and I will probably drop the kum-bah-ya sounding “All Are Welcome” in the future also. I just think a song of praise, and there are many beautiful ones, is more appropriate than songs about “us”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.