All have been saved?

All have been saved?

I am looking for Bible passages that teach: Jesus saved all!

It seems that there are some passages that say that.

I am not sure if that is accurate.

I do not have the time to search.

SO, if one has the time and energy, are there passages that teach Jesus came to save all people, or that He saved all people.

THANKS!

No such passages exist in context.

All have been ransomed but not all will be saved because some (many…even most) refuse the gift. I understand from talking with a priest in our parish, that Pope Francis gets into this in his new book. The Name of God Is Mercy

That’s why we take the line “pro multis” from 2 of the 4 accounts in the Gospels for the consecration at Mass.

Take

, eat; this is my body. . . .
Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins (Matt. 26:26-28).

And here is Mark’s account, with the words he has in common with Matthew bolded.

Take; this is my body. . . .
This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many (Mark 14:22-24).[Akin]

Our Blessed Lord tells us plainly in Matthew 22:14 ***For many are called, but few are chosen. ***

Church:

THANKS!

If you know this one, The Name of God Is Mercy, does the Bible actually teach that specifically?

THANKS!

Jesus came to save all people. Jehovahs witness believe only a certain amount of people can be saved. Catholics do not believe this. God wants everyone to be saved.God gives everyone free will to choose him. Are all people saved? No. We know that there is a hell and people are in hell because they choose mortal sin. Even most Catholics aren’t saved according to a writing by St Leonard called “The little number of those who are saved.” Linked below.

olrl.org/snt_docs/fewness.shtml

Jesus redeemed all people.

Redemption has to do with the way debtors prisons operated. If you couldn’t pay your debt you were thrown in prison. Once in prison you were not allowed to pay your own debt but someone else had to redeem you - pay the debt - and only then could you get out of prison. The wealthy would often negotiate with those in prison, offering to “pay the price” for their redemption in return for a period of service. This is how many became slaves or servants.

You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. (1 Corinthians 7:23)

Jesus paid the price for us. He redeemed us. We are now free to walk out of the prison of sin. Some however, choose to stay there.

Salvation in the Bible is past, present and future.

*We have been saved.
We are being saved
We will be saved. *

Salvation starts at baptism, continues through our lives and is completed only when we die and enter heaven. We have to accept our redemption first and then live it throughout our lives. Sadly some never accept it or accept it but then walk back into prison.

-Tim-

The Magisterium teaches two truths on this point:

1. God wills that all human persons be saved (the universal salvific will of God) - 1 Tim 2:4.

2. Not all human persons will be saved

The fourth and fifth Lateran Councils, and the Council of Florence taught that the general resurrection includes the human souls in Hell (the reprobate), who will be given eternal punishments. If all are saved, this dogma would be false.

Florence also taught: “But the souls of those who depart this life in actual mortal sin, or in original sin alone, go down straightaway to hell to be punished, but with unequal pains.” And that teaching would be false if no souls were sent to Hell.

Council of Trent: “But although Christ died for all, yet not all receive the benefit of His death, but those only to whom the merit of His passion is communicated.” [Decree on Justification, chap 3] And that teaching implies that not all are saved. For the chief benefit of His death is our eternal salvation.

Other teachings of the Magisterium (less authoritative than the above Councils) –

Council of Quiersy: “because all are not redeemed by the mystery of His passion” [Denzinger 319]

Council of Valence III: “In the condemnation, however, of those who are to be lost, the evil which they have deserved precedes the just judgment of God… in regard to evil men, however, we believe that God foreknew their malice, because it is from them, but that He did not predestine it, because it is not from Him. (We believe) that God, who sees all things, foreknew and predestined that their evil deserved the punishment which followed, because He is just” [Denzinger 322]. The Council of Valence III went on to repeatedly assert that not all human persons are saved. [Denzinger 323ff].

Pope Pius II condemned the proposition: “That all Christians are to be saved.” [Denzinger 717b]

Pope Clement XI condemned a series of errors, including the assertion that “All whom God wishes to save through Christ, are infallibly saved,” and the assertion that grace cannot fail to save all whom God wills, despite obstinate sin [Denzinger 1380, cf. 1360-65].

Dear All:

Thanks!!!

TimothyH: If you have the time, where does the Holy Bible say: “Jesus Redeemed all.”

I believe you. I just need to see it for my search!!!

TIM, THANKS!!!

no

The Bible says that Jesus died for everyone. He paid the price with his life for all.

*The death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. (Romans 6:10)

And he died for all, that those who live might live no longer for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. (2 Corinthians 5:15)

But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, (Hebrews 10:12)

For Christ also died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit; (1 Peter 3:18)*

Also in the Mass we say, “Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world” in the Angus Dei. Some refuse that gift.

-Tim-

Yes!

Yes!

Yes!

THANKS!!!

Keep in mind that Catholicism isn’t Sola Scriptura and so it actually doesn’t have to be in the Bible per se.

However, also note the following passages of scripture.
Hosea 6:6 and Matthew 9:13
Matthew 5:7 and James 2:13

Jesus died for all, meaning to offer salvation to all. But this does not imply that everyone will be saved and go to Heaven. We know from Scripture and Church teaching that many souls are lost to Hell, unfortunately.

[Matthew]
{7:13} Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate, and broad is the way, which leads to perdition, and many there are who enter through it.

Church and Ron:

THANKS!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.