All non-Catholics please vote and explain

Please explain what opens you up to learning about other faiths:)

Just to set things straight :wink:

I’m not a non- Catholic I’m just not a Catholic :). I think someone is more likely to listen to someone who respects them and who they can respect then someone whos just barely willing to put up with them long enough so they can ask every question their heart desires. A mutual respect is more personal and in depth, you know you can trust that person. A mutual respect, means to me that people on both ends are willing to listen to each other. I think thats maybe what lead me here, a mutual respect between one ofmy best Catholic friends. Justa thought :slight_smile:

Love Always Your Sister In Christ,
April

As probably several people on this board know (at least those in discussions with me) I do not practice Catholicism or any form of Christianity.

I am currently taking (well my final is tomorrow) a World Religions class. I took it because I find it interesting learning about other faiths and because my teacher presents the material in an objective, un-biased manner.

If I discuss religion with someone of a different faith, I am open to listening and learning if the person is respectful (note: that doesn’t mean they have to agree with) of me and my faith.

Things that won’t make me want to listen: stating that one’s religion is the one, true faith and that everyone else is wrong, telling me that I am wrong, misguided, “lost”, selfish, worshipping Satan or demons, worshipping imaginary beings, that I am deluded, etc., using scare tactics. I don’t expect everyone to agree with or practice my religion, and I’m not going to agree with or practice everyone else’s religion just because they claim it is the “only way to God”. I don’t believe that there is only one path to the Divine. However, I can be respectful of other’s beliefs and will not try to impose my beliefs on them and I expect the same.

I am Catholic so I didnt vote…but wanted to shair my thoughts. I usually don’t start by talking to someone of a particular faith to learn about their religion. I usually start by reading about the particular faith. For example I read alot of Martin Luther’s works before I started talking to Lutherans about their faith. For instance Luther equated his teaching on the Eucharist with the position of John Wyclif and John Hus, whose teachings had been condemned by the Church as heresy. When you talk to Lutherans you get different anwers on their understanding of the Eucharist…opening the door to bringing them back home so to speak. While controversy still continues regarding Luther’s exact understanding of the Eucharist, there was no doubt that he rejected the doctrine of transubstantiation. My point is one really needs to understand the precepts of the persons faith they are discussing with…they may or may not know themselves. That is why it is equally important that we as Catholics understand our Church before engaging in such discussions. I would recomend to our non-Catholic friends to do the same. Find out what we believe and why we believe before making assumptions…I think this allows for a less hostile enviroment for discussion when both parties have an understanding of one anothers religion.

I voted for “mutual respect,” because if that isn’t there, then it’s likely that any listening is done with only one ear.

My personal experience is that I have wanted to listen the most to persons of other faiths who lived it. Can always get more information, and plenty willing to provide this. To talk with persons sincere in their beliefs is another matter.

I would actually be very interested in a religion that (1) has judgemental members who (2) condemn me to hell because (3) they don’t respect people who don’t believe in that particular religion, and because they fear (4) the freedom of asking questions.

I would be curious as to what aspects of that religion would cause its members to behave in such a manner. On the good side, the members are very dedicated and energetic. On the negative side, they are very un-reflective. The trick is to keep the good and to release the negative.

Before I was a Christian, I would automatically tune out any of the bible thumpers that approached me. The argument, “You are going to hell if you aren’t saved.” turned me off. I think that more harm then good is done by earnest but misguided Christians who try to use fear to convert people.

It was the gentle example of a sweet, young Christian woman that led me back to Christ. Although she was open to discussing her faith, she never tried to convert me, but I could discern that she had something that I didn’t.

As a practicing Mormon who is re-examining his faith and seriously studying the teachings of the Catholic Church I find mutual respect to be a great blessing. My wife and I have had the privilege of having three close friends who are Catholic. They are truly shining examples of their faith. They are by no means perfect, nor do they act "holier-than-thou, but they are sincere in their “walk with God”. They have always shown great respect, even admiration for the way we live our faith. They readily answer our questions and are quick to point out when they don’t know the answers and try to find sources for us. They have also been there for us when we needed support.

I have always had great respect for the Catholic Church and now since circumstances in my own life have caused me to question I am now taking a closer look. I don’t know where God will lead me, but I know the difficult journey will be much easier because of the respect of both friends inside my own Church and my dear friends in the Catholic Church

I’ve always been a spiritual person and I am interested in how others express and pursue their spirituality. Plus, religion is INTERESTING! I read about it and discuss it constantly. Discuss, which is very different from arguing or being on either end of a conversion conversation.

I like to learn about others experiences with the divine, and their explanations for the human condition.

cheddar

[quote=BlessedBe13]As probably several people on this board know (at least those in discussions with me) I do not practice Catholicism or any form of Christianity.

I am currently taking (well my final is tomorrow) a World Religions class. I took it because I find it interesting learning about other faiths and because my teacher presents the material in an objective, un-biased manner.

If I discuss religion with someone of a different faith, I am open to listening and learning if the person is respectful (note: that doesn’t mean they have to agree with) of me and my faith.

Things that won’t make me want to listen: stating that one’s religion is the one, true faith and that everyone else is wrong, telling me that I am wrong, misguided, “lost”, selfish, worshipping Satan or demons, worshipping imaginary beings, that I am deluded, etc., using scare tactics. I don’t expect everyone to agree with or practice my religion, and I’m not going to agree with or practice everyone else’s religion just because they claim it is the “only way to God”. I don’t believe that there is only one path to the Divine. However, I can be respectful of other’s beliefs and will not try to impose my beliefs on them and I expect the same.
[/quote]

So you believe in everything and nothing, you believe studying will make you proficient in every belief, so you have no faith.
Where is truth for you, it must be relative.
Well at least i can pity you, with respect of course.
It is one of the Master of Lies greatest lies, it holds many people back, learn a half truth or a heresy and believe it!
Only you can answer this of course, why weren’t you called?
Though maybe you wouldn’t know what a calling was.
Look i’m not trying to belittle your knowledge.
Don’t you know that you support Satan? He’s the enemy of all Christians?
What more can i say, not much.
Maybe you’re one of those who were not in the book of Life, but that lies with Jesus and God, me, i am not so sure.
Maybe you looked for the truth at one time and got disillusioned, maybe just the looking for it became interesting, so you spend your time looking for it, and because you never found it, it drives you on, driving is one of Satans tools again, God and Christ don’t do it until you belong to them, and then only if you will.
Hey i’m no brainchild but can’t you see my point?
Look at the enemys of Christianity, look at what they teach, why hate a group of people who are not denominational, though they belong to denominations?
Look at what other religeons became!
Why are they all against Christians and Jews, even if they say they aren’t?
Check it out, at least you wont be considered paranoid in your position.
Scare tactics! well with what i know i’d be scared to be you!
Can you respect all of this, even if it’s a small part of the whole?
And i haven’t even pushed my Father in your direction, if you did know Him things wouldn’t get easier for you.
Still i’d like you to answer this if you have time, wish you well with your Exam even if it’s finished!

Stay well.
Peace to you.

Oh Excue me i’m not a non-Catholic either, i’m just a plain Catholic Christian.

I must apologize. I voted before I realized I wasn’t supposed to. :o Mea Culpa.

However, I did vote for respect, because it’s so important!

I am split between “Mutual repsect for the person” and “Freely to ask questions”. Well, I am a person who firmly beleves in tolerance of other religions. I have friends of various religious backgrounds such as Jewish, Agnostics, Protistants, and even Catholics. Also, I am a person who likes to ask questions to subjects that I am curious about (Which got me interested in Psychology, Sociology, Science and history). The Sociology and history acedemic disaplines has gotten me interested in learning about the history of the Catholic church and it’s influence from the Late Roman Empire to the Renascence. Plus asking questions and learning the Catholic church through world history books (my only medium at the moment) has gotten be back in touch to my cradle Catholic side.

I’m Catholic and didn’t vote either. I was told yesterday by someone on the Christian Forums website that not only was I going to hell because I follow Catholic teaching, but that I am an instrument of Satan because I tried to state the Catholic Church’s position on faith. I wonder if I entered his church, would I be thrown out or ministered to? :hmmm: I can assure you that with that approach, I’ll never find out.

I would just like to ask questions freely of a person of another Religion, and not be attacked by the other person.

I have found that even sincere Christians, (non Catholic) can be mean when stating their beliefs in discussion with a Catholic, because they have tended to put down the “corrosponding” belief that they THINK we have. So I just avoid these discussions entirely now.

The fact is this: if we are sincere, and love the Lord Jesus, Our Father and the Holy Spirit, we need to pray for others, love them , and not be mean to them for their beliefs.
Set an example for goodness sake!

I’m Catholic and did not vote.

Just a comment - I have learned over the years not so much to convince people to come home, but more to explain the facts and focus on addressing misconceptions about the faith … for the purpose of clearing up the misconception moreso than to convert. :slight_smile:

Whoops, I did vote and I’m a Catholic; sorry, I voted for mutual respect. Being in a huge statistical minority as a Catholic, in a very Protestant area, I’ve been approached by others trying to talk religion. Most of my friends as well as a good portion of my family, are not Catholic. I’ve always enjoyed going to their services, talking about their faith, how it differs from the Catholic faith. The one thing I’ve learned is that I’m absolutely Catholic; I love the history, the symbols, the sacraments. Religious discussions are a wonderful thing and should be held often. For example, I’m the only Catholic in my shop at work. When John Paul II died, and the world’s eyes were on the Vatican, I got a lot of questions about what was going on, how the Church works. It was really fun, I got to share my faith, the others were really nice and interested.

I also chose mutual respect, as it seems to embrace the first and last choices as well.

Well I have no intentions of converted, but the key to getting someone to listen to you–in any situation–is respect. I’m not just talking about religion either, but in everyday life. No one is going to listen to you when you are rude, judgemental, and/or arrogant.

That is my experience at least.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

I’m Catholic and voted free to ask questions. (:o )
I came to The Church through many late night discussions with a fallen away Catholic who really knew her ex-religion, intellectually, of course. She so encouraged me to explore The Church that when I did, I jumped the Tiber with joy.
Now I pray for her re-version since it was she who led me here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.