All people in his image except homosexuals?

Dear Friend, yes He created us in His image as children of God, as creatures who also have an everlasting spirit. Our choices of various kinds are our own. Our bodies aren’t in His image as God dosn’t have a body. Our souls are created in God’s images, the eternal part.

COMMUNION AND STEWARDSHIP:
Human Persons Created in the Image of God*
[/FONT]

Our fallen nature has resulted in numerous imperfections. One might just as well ask why God made some people blind or mentally disabled or unable to walk. But we will be joined with our glorifed bodies in heaven and the imperfections will be no more.

Or more to the point, since genetics and biology appear to count for little of sexual orientation, if anything, one might ask why he made thieves, liars, murderers etc. We are indeed all created in His image, but some of us choose to obscure and deface that image by our sins.

Actually, God assumed the human body into His infinite Self, because Christ has an eternal glorified Body in Heaven. God the Son has a Body. Also, I have SSA and I am heterosexual and celibate. Because of the damage done by original sin, I have SSA. However, Original Sin manifests differently in different people. Some have SSA, others violent tendencies, and other various disorders.

But they are all made in the Image of God, including me.

I am not familiar with the abbreviation SSA

SSA = Same Sex Attraction

The more important question is should we be labeling people as “gay,” implying that “gayness” is a genetically determined trait that cannot change?

The answer is no.

And the answer is no for these 2 reasons:

1. There is no evidence of a biological or genetic cause for “gayness,” and the studies we have of identical twins indicate it is **not **genetic. On the other hand, we have abundant studies showing that homosexual tendencies are associated with a person’s relationship with his/her parents, especially the same-sex parent.

2. It is possible, with therapy, for people to change their sexual orientation.

So, God didn’t make people gay, though the modern gay rights movement would like us to believe He did.

The modern gay rights movement doesn’t have the Catholic Church on its side; but it doesn’t have science on its side either.

The modern gay rights movement operates on myths and misguided compassion rather than honesty, objective facts, and true concern for our neighbor’s good.

I think this is evidence. I have a PhD. in Neuroscience

PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects

1. Ivanka Savic* and
  2. Per Lindström

+Author Affiliations

1. Stockholm Brain Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden

Edited by Jan-Åke Gustafsson, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, and approved April 30, 2008 (received for review February 27, 2008)

Abstract

Cerebral responses to putative pheromones and objects of sexual attraction were recently found to differ between homo- and heterosexual subjects. Although this observation may merely mirror perceptional differences, it raises the intriguing question as to whether certain sexually dimorphic features in the brain may differ between individuals of the same sex but different sexual orientation. We addressed this issue by studying hemispheric asymmetry and functional connectivity, two parameters that in previous publications have shown specific sex differences. Ninety subjects [25 heterosexual men (HeM) and women (HeW), and 20 homosexual men (HoM) and women (HoW)] were investigated with magnetic resonance volumetry of cerebral and cerebellar hemispheres. Fifty of them also participated in PET measurements of cerebral blood flow, used for analyses of functional connections from the right and left amygdalae. HeM and HoW showed a rightward cerebral asymmetry, whereas volumes of the cerebral hemispheres were symmetrical in HoM and HeW. No cerebellar asymmetries were found. Homosexual subjects also showed sex-atypical amygdala connections. In HoM, as in HeW, the connections were more widespread from the left amygdala; in HoW and HeM, on the other hand, from the right amygdala. Furthermore, in HoM and HeW the connections were primarily displayed with the contralateral amygdala and the anterior cingulate, in HeM and HoW with the caudate, putamen, and the prefrontal cortex. The present study shows sex-atypical cerebral asymmetry and functional connections in homosexual subjects. The results cannot be primarily ascribed to learned effects, and they suggest a linkage to neurobiological entities.

Yes, but we cannot blame our current state of Original Sin on God. Different people have different predispositions to fall into different sins, like alchoholism, volotile disposition, drug-addictions, and yes, SSA. But that is just my personal cross from God to bear, and others have there own crosses. I must not feel sorry for myself, but embrace my cross as Christ embraced His Cross.

Original Sin, and it’s affects; that is why we have SSA and other sinful predispositions; but we must all bear our crosses and serve our Lord Jesus, who suffer more than any of us, and was tempted.

I am intrigued in your understanding of “original sin and it’s affects”

the problem I have with this logic is: If sin is not in the body but the soul and the soul is made in gods image, the soul cannot sin as god cannot sin.

You can say these are sins of the flesh but the flesh cannot sin without the soul.

Well said. I do not know if there is a biological aspect or not. I think your post sidesteps the question as being irrelevant as we all have our propensity to sin in some form or another. Whether God, environment or Santa Claus “made” people gay, we have the ability to partake in the divine nature with all the grace we will ever need to live a life pleasing to God. And if we goof up, that’s what confession is for.

Very well-stated. Yes, the issue as to “why does this happen to me?” is applicable in other situations, not just SSA. We must remember, we are a sin-infected humanity, and as such, we have various disorders, such as SSA, disease, violent propensities, and predispositions.

We must bear our crosses faithfully, that’s what really matters.

No, the entire human faculty was marred by sin, body and soul. This is why the body has disease and physical death, and this is why the soul has spiritual death (apart from Christ.) Although we are marred images of God, we are restored through Baptism, the Holy Eucharist, Confession, and finally purgation in Purgatory if needed. We will eventually be completely healed of sin, and become partakers of the Divine nature, thus completing our theosis. We will be morally the same as God, sinless in every way.

From the Catechism:
** III. ORIGINAL SIN **
Freedom put to the test
396 God created man in his image and established him in his friendship. A spiritual creature, man can live this friendship only in free submission to God. The prohibition against eating “of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” spells this out: "for in the day that you eat of it, you shall die."276 The "tree of the knowledge of good and evil"277 symbolically evokes the insurmountable limits that man, being a creature, must freely recognize and respect with trust. Man is dependent on his Creator, and subject to the laws of creation and to the moral norms that govern the use of freedom.
Man’s first sin
397 Man, tempted by the devil, let his trust in his Creator die in his heart and, abusing his freedom, disobeyed God’s command. This is what man’s first sin consisted of.278 All subsequent sin would be disobedience toward God and lack of trust in his goodness.
398 In that sin man *preferred *himself to God and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good. Constituted in a state of holiness, man was destined to be fully “divinized” by God in glory. Seduced by the devil, he wanted to “be like God”, but “without God, before God, and not in accordance with God”.279

You seem to want to separate the soul and body but this is incorrect. In fact, as Catholics, we believe that we will receive our glorified bodies on the last day. Just as Christ Himself, upon His resurrection, received His.

How can the post sidestep the question that the post is proposing?

How do you partake in the divine nature?

Through the process of theosis. Through this, we can come to compete moral Oneness with God.

As I said before, the entire human faculty was marred by sin, body and soul. This is why the body has disease and physical death, and this is why the soul has spiritual death (apart from Christ.) Although we are marred images of God, we are restored through Baptism, the Holy Eucharist, Confession, and finally purgation in Purgatory if needed. We will eventually be completely healed of sin, and become partakers of the Divine nature, thus completing our theosis. We will be morally the same as God, sinless in every way.

You seem to want to separate the soul and body but this is incorrect. In fact, as Catholics, we believe that we will receive our glorified bodies on the last day. Just as Christ Himself, upon His resurrection, received His.

no, I proposed that the body and soul were one.

You just said that it is wrong to separate the body and the soul and then in the next sentence say you don’t have your “glorified” body yet. what do these two sentences have to do with each other?

Priest Bodhi, please read my above post please.

Did you not mean to address the body and soul as separate in this post? If not, I misunderstood. Perhaps you could rephrase the question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.