All Roman Catholics Should Know Both Forms of the Roman Rite

All Roman Catholics should be exposed to the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms of the Roman rite. There are two Forms of our Rite, not just one. Therefore, I think it is important that all Latin rite Catholics experience both forms of the Mass.

We have a situation where most Latin Catholics are ignorant of the Extraordinary Form. This must change.

All Latin Rite Priests should know how to offer both the Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. The fact that most of our priests can’t celebrate both forms of the Roman rite needs to change.

There should be unity among all Latin rite Catholics. To this end, there should be a Traditional Latin Mass in every parish. At the very least, I think there should be an EF Mass offered monthly in every parish.

One question- WHY?

No one, not even the Pope, can force someone to do something that is “extraordinary”.

For those who want it, an EF can/should be available, but to force it on every parish would be insanity.

I am not against the EF, but it should be just that, “not the ordinary”. How come it’s OK to want Mass in the EF always & everywhere, but on this board, talk about the need for ‘extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion’ and you get a lesson all about what “extraordinary” means? :shrug:

I would agree if you said that all Catholics who want exposure to both forms should have it.

Does the average Catholic understand even one form so well as that? If either form is understood well, then a Catholic is disposed to experience both well. If not even one is understood well, then it might not help to expose the ignorant Catholic to the other one. Sure, they might see the truth at a different angle and finally “catch on”, but they might also see the other and see even less in that one!

Now, it is possible that putting the two side-by-side is useful, that seeing both and know they are the same will allow the one to elucidate the other. Still, if someone is as short on appreciation of what happens at Mass as many are, the poor soul who has the privilege to be exposed to both might still be just as in the dark as before.

I am convinced that if the older form had been widely understood in the first place, no one would have dreamed of coming up with a second form at all. The thought was, ah, well, if they faithful simply see the Mass in this other way, then they will understand better. It did not work that way. Many, unfortunately, still misunderstood the Mass, only they misunderstood in a less-ancient incarnation spoken in their mother tongue, which probably lead them to believe that they appreciated the Mass better than they actually do. This is because it was something other than the plain meaning of the words that was not being understood. When there was something “lost in translation”, it was unfortunately not the choice of tongue or the orientation of the priest or the volume with which he prayed that was the culprit. It was the light of comprehension that was not there.

I’ll revisit later. In a rush, but I am fairly certain we are to be prepared enough to respond in Latin?

Peace

One question- WHY?

Because our rite has two forms of Mass. I think that all members of the Roman rite should be familiar with both forms of the Roman rite.

For those who want it, and EF can/should be available, but to force it on every parish would be insanity.

This means that there will be a divide within the Roman rite and I don’t think there should be. Furthermore, all Roman Rite Priests should be able to celebrate the both Forms of the Roman Rite. Many parishes offer Spanish Masses and African Masses. Why can’t all parishes offer Latin Masses? After all, Latin is our official language.

How come it’s OK to want Mass in the EF always & everywhere

I want both Masses of the Roman Rite available always and everywhere. I want the EF and the OF to mutually enrich each other. I want all Roman Catholics to be exposed to the riches of their Rite. And I want all Latin Catholic Priests to be well versed in both Forms of the Roman Rite.

I’ll revisit later. In a rush, but I am fairly certain we are to be prepared enough to respond in Latin?

All Roman Catholics should be able to say the responses in Latin anyway. Lets not forget that Latin is the official language of the Roman Church. The neglect of the Latin language within the Church scandalous.

What needs to change is that people who claim that their rights are being trampled because they are being denied one form of the Mass then turning around and stepping on the rights of other Christians by forcing them to do what the Church herself says is not necessary.

-Tim-

What needs to change is that people who claim that their rights are being trampled because they are being denied one form of the Mass then turning around and stepping on the rights of other Christians by forcing them to do what the Church herself says is not necessary.

I’m sorry, but was this post meant for a different thread? This thread is not about forcing anyone to do anything. This thread is about the fact that the vast majority of Latin Rite Catholics are unaware that their rite has two forms. How is it wrong to want every Latin Rite Catholic to experience their Rite in its fullness?

And finally, nobody is stepping on the rights of other Christians. Your claim is false. What I am suggesting will unite all Roman Catholics. Both Forms of the Roman Rite are beautiful and both forms will mutually enrich each other.

What I don’t understand is why some Latin Catholics want to pit one form of our rite against the other. I think both forms should be accepted with equal sentiments of devotion and respect.

I’m concerned that the Latin not be plopped onto the plates of the faithful like a blob of overcooked spinach, with the command “eat that, it’s GOOD for you.” Sure, you could argue that even overcooked spinach or broccoli is still more nutritious than the empty things that some find more palatable, but would anyone who loves spinach ever agree to doing that to the palate of someone who has no experience with dark green vegetables? :shrug:

Can someone give me any reason why it is a bad idea that all Latin Catholics be exposed to both forms of the Roman Rite?

Many Latin Catholics have never heard of the EF Mass. They have no idea that it exists. Why should they be denied such a rich part of their inheritance?

I’m concerned that the Latin not be plopped onto the plates of the faithful like a blob of overcooked spinach, with the command “eat that, it’s GOOD for you.” Sure, you could argue that even overcooked spinach or broccoli is still more nutritious than the empty things that some find more palatable, but would anyone who loves spinach ever agree to doing that to the palate of someone who has no experience with dark green vegetables?

To use your food analogy: Why not invite all the members of our parishes to a buffet where they can sample a bit of everything? Some will love the Latin and some will hate it. But the important thing is that all are given the chance to taste it.

Some will say that the people who want it can go looking for it. But what about the people who have no idea that it is an option? What about the young kids in our Catholic schools. Let’s show them the EF Mass and lets teach them their language; because lets not forget, Latin is our sacred language.

Golly, maybe we should all be exposed to the Anglican Use option also.

Maybe we would understand our faith better if we all needed to be exposed to all the rites of the Eastern Churches.

We should also be exposed to the OF in Latin rather than only the vernacular translations that are offered. It is the official OF.

You said that all Catholics should be exposed to the EF. The Church says that I don’t have to be exposed to the EF. You are saying that something should happen which the Church herself says is OK not to happen.

That’s enough. Please leave us alone.

-Tim-

Golly, maybe we should all be exposed to the Anglican Use option also.

The Anglican Use Mass is available to all Catholics but it is specifically celebrated for Ordinariate Catholics. However, the OF and EF Masses are forms of the same rite. Therefore, Roman Rite Parishes should offer Roman Rite Masses - in both forms.

Hi all!

Joining a little late, but I think people are confusing “SHOULD KNOW” with “FORCED TO PARTICIPATE”. I think the title of the thread says it best. To reword it slightly: Ideally, all Catholics would know about both forms of the Roman Rite.

Please note that “know” can mean a lot of different things. So maybe a more helpful discussion would be, what would be ideal in terms of how much a Roman Rite Catholic should know about the EF vs OF.

As for my view, I think it’s a great idea to encourage Catholics to study up on both rites. It helps to deepen one’s understanding of the liturgy. I would also add that there is nothing wrong with having a personal preference and choosing to exclusively attend either the EF or OF. Certainly, no one should be forced to attend one or the other.

You said that all Catholics should be exposed to the EF. The Church says that I don’t have to be exposed to the EF.

The Church also doesn’t say that you shouldn’t be exposed to the EF. Every Latin Catholic should be familiar with the Roman Rite.

You are saying that something should happen which the Church herself says is OK not to happen.

The Church has said no such thing. Pope Benedict said that they are two usages of the one Roman Rite. He also said that the EF Mass should be given due honour for its ancient and venerable use.

That’s enough. Please leave us alone.

What do you mean? I don’t know what to make of this. I am not bullying anyone. I am just saying that it would be a fantastic thing if all Latin Catholics had a full knowledge of their Rite. I don’t understand why this offends you.

As for my view, I think it’s a great idea to encourage Catholics to study up on both rites. It helps to deepen one’s understanding of the liturgy. I would also add that there is nothing wrong with having a personal preference and choosing to exclusively attend either the EF or OF. Certainly, no one should be forced to attend one or the other.

These are my thoughts exactly. I couldn’t have put it better myself.

My Missal is both Latin and English. I am thankful that I can attend an English language Mass. When I was a child it was all Latin except the homily. I remember the homilies well because I surely knew what sin and hell were.

I can see a Latin Mass on EWTN when they air the Masses from Rome.

You said exactly:

You said exactly that all this needs to change, that it must change. You were not encouraging familiarity with the EF. You were not asking people to learn about the EF or explaining how it is better if they know the EF or saying that it would be fantastic if they know it but insisted that people who have no desire for the OF MUST be familiar with it. That is what your original post said.

The Church however, says that it is OK if I am ignorant of the Extraordinary Form. Go to the EF if you want but please stop telling those who have no desire to know the EF that they MUST change when the Church herself says that they do not need to change.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.