All Saints day and Protestants

This question is more for Episcopalians and Lutherans. Do you observe All Saints Day? How about all Souls Day?

When I was Episcopalian All Saints was combined with All Souls on Nov. 1. It was basically when they read a list of the people who had died in the last year. Flowers were bought as a memorial, and the names printed in the bulletin. And that was about it. But the two days are separate on the calendar. They just seem to ignore that fact.

I have never been to a Lutheran church on Nov. 1. What do Lutherans do on those days? Is it overshadowed by Reformation Day?

And how about more Evangelical Protestants, those who lack a liturgical calendar. Do you observe any special days other than Christmas Easter and Pentecost? Do you believe that all are Saints and ignore All Saints Day?

And the mormons, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day SAINTS. What do you do?

Lutheran, here.

All Saints’ Day is what we celebrate on Nov. 1. Flowers, commemorations of those who died in the past year and other Saints Triumphant, special services and other traditions take place.

Oct. 31 is usually set aside for Reformation Day, which we solemnly observe (though I personally wish Reformation Day was celebrated on June 25, but that’s another story).

As a former Evangelical Protestant, I know that they do not celebrate any special days other than Christmas and Easter. I don’t remember ever celebrating pentecost, could be wrong though. Pentecostals may, but just because you are evangelical doesn’t mean your pentecostal. And yes, I was always brought up to believe that all believers are “saints.”

Pentecostals always celebrate Pentecost with devotion and perhaps vigor. I remember in a city were I lived before I moved, there was a Pentecostal church down the street from Saint Mary’s. The decorated the façade of their church to look like a giant birthday cake, with the message “Happy Birthday Church” I liked that a lot.

Where is Itwin when you need him?

I think the difference between saint and Saint lies in the capitalization. To me a saint is any baptized Christian, and a Saint is one who has been canonized.

Do tell :smiley:

October 31 is when Luther nailed his list of 95 thesis to the door* of the local church. In my opinion, we really shouldn’t be celebrating - the 95 thesis were a bit bombastic, a bit petulant, and and perhaps not researched as well as they should. They were allegations, and hence nothing really to celebrate.

June 25 is when the Augsburg Confession was made - (as we view it) a biblically-based statement of faith that positively contributes to the proclamation of the Gospel.

• Historically, Luther probably did no such thing. It’s an amusing story though.

Presentation of the Augsburg Confession - that is the milestone worth marking the Reformation. Plenty of fiesty blogs about the topic and historical reasons abound. In short, the 95 Theses were hardly even observed until over a hundred years later and, ever since, it’s kind of been forced upon Lutherans as a “common point of history” by the various Unionist rulers of Europe in their bid to smoosh all “Protestant” groups into a singular pot. That, and other reasons are precisely why the Old Lutherans generally abandoned Europe in the first place. I’ll never for the life of me understand why we’ve allowed those customs to continue… :shrug: It’d be better to celebrate Saints Triumphant on the 31st and then All Saints’ Day on the 1st. A better day exists to mark the Reformation.

:coffeeread:

Just a point of clarification and you may already be aware, but there is in many ways much bigger differences between Lutherans/Episcopalians and Evangelical/Non-Denominational/Pentecostal than there are Catholics. Catholics/Lutherans/Episcopalians and a few others follow the same Liturgical Calendar; meaning the same readings, order of worship, and most of the same liturgical holidays.

Do Catholics still celebrate it? I saw it is not a Holy Day of obligation this year? Does anyone know why it’s not a holy day of obligation this year?

As an evangelical we never celebrated it

This is because in the USA the obligation is generally waived if the day falls on a Saturday or Monday. Please note this does not apply to the Feast of the Immaculate Conception this year!

It’s still celebrated, there’s just no obligation to go to Mass this year because it falls on a Saturday.

A trunk or treat vigil the night before!

Interesting. thanks! My parish is still having a vigil mass and a morning mass on All Saints Day. ( but we have twice a day daily mass anyway). So we are celebrating it, but when they announced it wasn’t a Holy day of Obligation it through me off!

lol :d

While the calendar confirms what Don said, in most Lutheran parishes, All Saints Day is moved to “All Saints Sunday”, with “Reformation Sunday” preceding it by one week, so no, it isn’t overshadowed.

All Saints Day is by far my favorite observance outside the major holy days. I’m grateful to our Anglican siblings for two of my favorite hymns, not the least of which being, “The Church’s One Foundation”, and “For All Thy Saints”.

Jon

Muchas Gracias!

Yes, I am aware. I am an Anglican who grew up Presbyterian and attended an non-denom church a bit in College.

Protestants use All Saint’s Day to remember the ‘communion of saints’ which are ALL believers: past, present and future.

Lutherans as a general rule do not believe in purgatory so they do not celebrate All Soul’s Day distinctly from All Saint’s Day, or, if they do, it would not have the same emphasis. I’ve never met a Lutheran who does, but there may be exceptions. Some Lutherans view the Book of Concord with less authority than others or use only a subset of its contents (e.g. KjetilK’s denomination, the Church of Norway, uses only the Augsburg Confession and Small Catechism). Those Lutherans would have more freedom. To give a specific example, look at this guy’s blog.

lutheranzephyr.com/2007/10/30/all-saints-all/

He is an ELCA minister but, writing about All Saints and All Souls, even though he does not use the word “purgatory,” he takes such a belief for granted, speaking of a division between the “Church Expectant” and the “Church Triumphant.”

The Lutheran Church has a Liturgical Calendar and Colors. and yes we observe All Saints Day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.