All Saints Day Question from Non-Catholic

Prelude: I am a non-Catholic. I was raised Baptist and I am currently a lay leader at a non-denominational church. Through prayer and my current study of the Bible, I have felt convicted to experience worship with other believers of the Christian faith.

Actual Question: I am planning on attending the All Saints Day mass at a local Catholic church. It is at 6:30 AM on Friday, November 1st.

1. Is this offensive to other Catholics that I attend this mass? I don’t want to intrude on a Holy Day of Obligation.

2. What should I wear to this mass? Since it’s at 6:30 in the morning on a work day, I was planning on wearing the same clothes I go to work in. I didn’t know if All Saints Day required something different.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

1. You may attend Mass, if you like. You many participate fully. We just ask that you do not receive communion, as that is reserved to Catholics.

2. Your work clothes are fine.

You would be most welcome!

Enjoy the Mass!~
You will certainly be welcome.
Mary.

All praise to the Holy Spirit!

Intrude? No such thing! It is an open invitation. Do you know a Catholic that you might attend with? It could help your comfort level a bit.

Since you will be in the presence of the Holy Lord, and since He is worthy of all respect, respectful clothing is entirely appropriate. However, He also understands that you must work for a living.

You are entirely welcome.

As others have mentioned, you can do everything except receive Holy Communion. (Only those Catholics who have already received instruction and preparation to receive their First Holy Communion may receive in the Catholic Church. This may be different than the custom that you are used to.)

When you see people lining up to go forward to the front to receive Holy Communion, people might try to get you to come and join the line-up; what you do is simply wave them past you, and remain in your place. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your responses.

My regular dress for work is business casual as I work in an office. From your responses, that seems appropriate.

I’m glad there is an open forum here where people are free to ask questions.

I will post about my irst Mass experience on Friday!

I wish I did know someone else to go with. I will be going alone. That might be adding a little anxiety.

You won’t be alone. There will be a two thousand year old Jewish carpenter there with you. :wink:

Just relax. Don’t do anything that makes you uncomfortable if you don’t feel like it.

We stand when we pray and kneel when Jesus is present.

I would sit near the front so that you can see and hear, but not all the way up front so that you can follow what everyone else does.

And please don’t receive communion!

-Tim-

You are welcome welcome welcome welcome! :thumbsup:

The only thing the Church asks is that you refrain from taking Communion, as that is reserved for those in full communion with the Church.

I hope you gain much spiritual fruit from it!

Don’t worry. Relax and enjoy. If you can and are able, show up 15 minutes early so you can look around a bit, and take in everything before Mass begins. A couple small items to help you feel more comfortable:

1. Holy water will be at the entrance. Feel free to use if you like and make the sign of the cross with it after dipping your fingers. (if you feel uncomfortable, it is fine to skip) The holy water and sign of the cross is a renewal of our baptismal vows and a renewal of the New Covenant that we entered at our baptism.

2. You may see some kneel when entering/leaving the pews. They are showing honor to Christ, who is literally present in the Eucharist that is located in the Tabernacle. The Tabernacle will (hopefully) be located in a central location, or behind the altar. Look for a large, lit red candle. This candle is kept lit to honor Christ’s Presence in the Eucharist.

3. The priest will kneel/bow to the altar and kiss it. This is to honor the Lord’s Table and Altar where the Holy Spirit is about to change the bread and wine into Christ’s Body and Blood.

4. In the pew, there should be a missalette that will have the daily readings and the outline of the Mass so that you can follow along. If you arrive early, you will be able to peruse this a little and become familiar with it so you can follow along better. It also has the priest’s words, and the congregation’s responses in it as well.

5. Here is a quick outline of the Mass anyway, so that you feel more comfortable:

Introductory Rites

1. Greeting
  2. Rite of Sprinkling or Penitential Rite (preparing ourselves to properly worship God by cleansing ourselves with prayers of contrition and/or sprinkling with holy water)
  3. Confiteor (prayer of confession)
  4. Kyrie (either in Latin (Kyrie eleison) or English: “Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy”)
  5. Gloria (praise of God’s glory)
  6. Opening Prayer (Collect)

Liturgy of the Word

1. First Reading (from Revelation ch7:2-4 and 9-14)
  2. Psalm (from Psalm 24)
  3. Second Reading (from 1 John 3:1-3)
  4. Gospel (from Matthew 5:1-12)
  5. Homily
  6. Profession of Faith (Creed) - either Nicene or Apostles Creed
  7. Prayer of the Faithful (General Intercessions)

Liturgy of the Eucharist

1. Preparation of Gifts (Offertory) - bringing up the bread and wine, and the priest or deacon preparing the altar, this is also when the collection plates are passed around.
  2. Offertory Prayer
  3. Preface and Sanctus
  4. Eucharistic Prayer
  5. Pater Noster (Our Father or Lord’s Prayer)
  6. Sign of Peace - sharing the peace of Christ with those around you (most people say “peace” or “peace be with you” and sometimes shake hands or wave)
  7. Fraction Rite — Agnus Dei (Lamb of God)
  8. Communion Rite (just stay in the pew as others go up)
  9. Prayer after Communion
  10. Concluding Rite

But, there will not be that much preaching at the mass. That is one of the major differences between Catholic/Orthodox liturgies and Protestant services. The mass has an entirely different purpose in that it makes the sacrifice of Christ at Calvary present to you and I and all who attend. Time essentially stands still and we are in the upper room, at the foot of the cross, and at the empty tomb. It is awe-inspiring once one understands what is actually occurring. At the consecration, the Holy Spirit, as well as the entire host of heaven are present. Christ Himself becomes present in the Holy Eucharist. Mass is a “routine miracle” that we witness, and for this reason, bells are rung in many parishes.

If you are drawn to the mass, then you should also have an understanding of Catholic teaching. If you are interested, I would be blessed to send you a copy of Catholicism for Dummies, which is an excellent book on the fundamentals of the Catholic faith. I am certain that you will have far frewer objections to Catholicism (hopefully none) after reading into Catholic beliefs and the reasons behind them. Send a PM if you are interested.

This is super detailed…and awesome! It gives me a great idea on what to expect.

Are the prayers said by the priest or repeated by the congregation?

I do have to say, I thoroughly enjoy a deep, reflective, Bible-based sermon, but the reverence of a liturgical mass is something I don’t think many Protestant churches are able to achieve and one of the main reasons I’m attending tomorrow.

PM sent on the book!

Please do! We’d love to hear about it. :thumbsup:

It’s in the mail today.

I think it’s great that you plan on coming! You are most certainly welcome, and work clothes are fine for the Mass.

And, here is the scriptural basis for the mass (catholic-resources.org/Bible/Biblical-Mass-Texts.htm)::slight_smile:

Introductory Rites:

Sign of the Cross:
“In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” (Matt 28:19; cf. John 14:13-14; Acts 2:21)
Liturgical Greeting:
“The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” (2 Cor 13:14)
“Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ” (Phil 1:2; Eph 1:2)
“The Lord be with you.” (2 Tim 4:22; cf. Matt 1:23; 28:20)
People’s Response:
“And with your spirit” (cf. Gal 6:18; 2 Tim 4:22)
Rite of Blessing and Sprinkling Holy Water (see Ezek 36:25; cf. Num 8:7a)

Penitential Act:

Intro: “Let us acknowledge our sins, and so prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries.” (cf. Ps 51:5)
“I confess to almighty God…” (cf. Lev 5:5; Neh 1:5-9; Dan 9:3-19; James 5:16)
“Have mercy on us, O Lord. / For we have sinned against you. / Show us, O Lord, your mercy. / And grant us your salvation.” (Ps 41:4)
“Lord, Have Mercy” (Matt 15:22; 17:15; 20:30-31; cf. Ps 123:3)

Gloria:

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to people of good will” (Luke 2:14; cf. Rev 4:11; 5:11-14)
“We praise you, we bless you, we adore you, we glorify you…” (Cf. Ps 148:13)
“Lord Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son” (cf. Ps 2:7; John 1:14)
“Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father, you take away the sins of the world…” (cf. John 1:29)

Prayers concluded by “Amen” (Neh 8:6; Ps 41:13; Rom 16:27; Heb 13:20-21; Rev 7:16)

Liturgy of the Word:

Introductory/Concluding Dialogues:

“A reading from the book/letter of…”
“The Word of the Lord” (1 Peter 1:25) - “Thanks be to God” (Rom 6:17; 2 Cor 9:15)
“A reading from the holy Gospel according to…” - “Glory to you, O Lord”
“The Gospel of the Lord” (Rom 16:25; Mark 1:1) - “Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ”

Acclamations before the Gospel:

“Alleluia” (many Psalms, esp. Ps 146-150; Rev 19:1-6)
“Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory!” (cf. Ps 24:7-10; 1 Thess 2:12; 2 Tim 4:18)
“Praise and honor to you, Lord Jesus Christ!” (cf. Dan 4:34, 37; 1 Peter 1:7)
“Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!” (cf. Phil 1:11)

Profession of Faith:

“I believe…” (Mark 9:24; John 11:27; cf. John 14:1; 1 John 5:10)

General Intercessions:

“We pray to the Lord” (Exod 8:29-30; 10:17-18; Jer 42:2-4; Acts 8:22-24)
“Lord, hear our prayer” (2 Kings 20:2-5; Isa 38:2-5)

Liturgy of the Eucharist:

Preparation of the Gifts:

“Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation…” (cf. 1 Chron 29:10; Ps 72:18-19; 119:10; Luke 1:68)
"Blessed be God forever. " (cf. Gen 14:20; Ps 66:20; 68:35)

Eucharistic Acclamations:

“Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts…” (Isa 6:3; Rev 4:8)
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.” (Ps 118:26; Mark 11:9; Matt 21:9; Luke 19:38; John 12:13)
“Hosanna in the highest” (Mark 11:10; Matt 21:9; cf. Luke 19:38)
Words of Institution: (see Mark 14:22-24; Matt 26:26-28; cf. Luke 22:17-20; 1 Cor 11:23-25)
“Take this, all of you, and eat of it, for this is my Body, which will be given up for you” (a combination of Mark 14:22; Matt 26:26; Luke 22:19; 1 Cor 11:24)
“Take this, all of you, and drink from it, for this is the chalice of my Blood, the Blood of the new and eternal covenant, which will be poured out for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.” (a combination of Mark 14:24; Matt 26:27b-28; cf. Luke 22:17, 20; 1 Cor 11:25)
“Do this in remembrance of me” (only Luke 22:19; 1 Cor 11:24a, 25b)

Memorial Acclamations:

“We proclaim your Death, O Lord, and profess your Resurrection until you come again.” (cf. 1 Cor 16:22)
“When we eat this Bread and drink this Cup, we proclaim your Death, O Lord, until you come again.” (cf. 1 Cor 11:26)
“Save us, Savior of the world, for by your Cross and Resurrection you have set us free.” (cf. Matt 8:25; Luke 4:42; Rom 8:21)
Lord’s Prayer:
“Our Father in heaven…” (Matt 6:9-13; cf. Luke 11:2-4; Mark 14:36; Gal 4:6)
Doxology: “For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours…”
(found only in some biblical manuscripts after Matt 6:13; cf. Rev 4:11; 11:15; 1 Chron 29:11)

Greeting of Peace:

“Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles, ‘I leave you peace, my peace I give you’” (John 14:27)
“The peace of the Lord be with you always.” (cf. John 16:33; 20:19, 21, 26)
Breaking of the Bread:
“Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world…” (cf. John 1:29, 36; Rev 5:6-13; 22:1-3)

Preparation before Communion:

“Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sins of the world. Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb.” (John 1:29, 36; Rev 19:9)
“Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.” (Matt 8:8; cf. Luke 7:1-10)

Concluding Rite:

Final Blessing (cf. Gen 28:3; Deut 14:29; Num 6:23-27; Ps 29:11)

Dismissal:

“Go forth, the Mass is ended.”
“Go and announce the Gospel of the Lord.” (cf. Mark 16:15)
“Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life.” (cf. Ps 115:1; 1 Cor 10:31; 2 Thess 1:12)
“Go in peace.” (cf. Exod 4:18; Deut 10:11-13; Judg 18:6; 1 Sam 1:17; Mark 5:34; Luke 7:50; 8:48)

Prayers are said by the priest, and the congregation has responses to those prayers. These responses are in the missallette in the Order of the Mass section.

Hope you enjoyed Mass! Please let us know how it went and let us know if you have any questions. I’m currently a Catholic learning more about my faith and as I’m learning more and more I’m falling more in love with it. I appreciate my family and ancestors for sharing this wonderful gift with me since my birth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.