all saints day question

Hello I am in RCIA the all saints day mass in English at our church is the evening of (November 1st) at 6pm . I have one of my college classes at that time. The Vigil mass is in Spanish On October 31 at 8pm we have rcia from 630 to 8. Should I leave rcia at 745 or 750 and go upstairs for the Spanish mass. or what ?
Thanks

Hi Taylormcbee,

You need to talk to your RCIA team.

I’ve never heard of a Vigil Mass for a Holy Day of Obligation. Unless, for instance, Christmas was on Sunday—then, Saturday Vigil Mass would fulfill your obligation-Sunday Mass, and Holy Day of Obligation, however, that doesn’t happen too often.

My own parish has 3 Masses for All Saints Day—7:30 AM, 12:00 PM, 5:30 PM. I’m going to the 12:00 PM Mass, so I can help at the dinner/party after the 5:30 PM Mass.

[quote="taylormcbee, post:1, topic:302310"]
Hello I am in RCIA the all saints day mass in English at our church is the evening of (November 1st) at 6pm . I have one of my college classes at that time. The Vigil mass is in Spanish On October 31 at 8pm we have rcia from 630 to 8. Should I leave rcia at 745 or 750 and go upstairs for the Spanish mass. or what ?
Thanks

[/quote]

I think you should definitely get to Mass in one way or another. We are required to go to Mass on the Holy days of obligation. Are there any other parishes around that might have a Mass on All Saints Day that would fit into your schedule? It would probably be easier to just leave the rcia class and go to the 8 pm spanish mass. I wouldn't hesitate to leave the rcia class a few minutes early so I could get to Mass.

You certainly can go do a vigil Mass for a Holy Day just like going to Mass on Saturday Evening before a Sunday…Certainly in America at least

Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.
Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and aVairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.
Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

I would go to the Spanish Mass after telling the RCIA leader why I was leaving early. And yes Vigil Masses work for Holy Days of Obligation. (who knows they may even end early so more people can make it to Mass)I don’t think that many parishes plan them but if they do it is fine. People often go to the vigil Masses for Christmas.

If there are other nearby parishes it would be worth it to see if there was another Mass that fits into your schedule.

It is a standard thing, just like any Sunday. :thumbsup:

CCC2041 The precepts of the Church are set in the context of a moral life bound to and nourished by liturgical life. The obligatory character of these positive laws decreed by the pastoral authorities is **meant to guarantee **to the faithful the very necessary minimum in the spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor:

Suppose though that one attends Mass every Sunday, has a solid prayer life and does indeed have a “spirit of prayer and moral effort, in the growth in love of God and neighbor” yet happens to be traveling & visiting family and Mass is not convenient (not impossible but just inconvenient. Is it still obligatory? The “minimum in spirit and prayer” is otherwise maintained, which is the purpose of the precept, maybe even more so than the person who goes with a minimalist attitude out of “obligation” alone. I can see how one cen get very legalistic in this sort of thing and miss the whole point.

I was lucky enough to get out of work prior to 12 noon so I can go to a 12 noon Mass for the holy day of All Saints. After Mass, then I can go home and relax, and not have to wait to go to Evening Mass for the holy day after a long day of work.

I second the suggestion to talk with the RCIA director. If Mass is right upstairs, slipping out a few minutes early shouldn't be a problem.

Are you a candidate or a cetechumen? If you were not baptized Catholic, then Canon Law doesn't really apply to you yet and you would not be under the same obligation as the rest of us. Not to say it wouldn't be a good idea to go anyway. But it's something to consider.

if that is the only time you could go to mass that would be a good idea.

Can you go to a morning or midday Mass at another parish?

I should think that the RCIA class would end early that day and everyone in the class would be attending Mass on that holy day. Good teaching moment, and that may be what they have planned.

yes - and a good question is "where is /are the Catholic Church(s) in the area and what is (are) the mass schedule (s).
:):):slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.