All Saints Day

Can someone explain to me why tomorrow is not a Holy Day of Obligation because All Saints Day falls on a Monday?

Thanks!!!

[quote="Nanny_PK, post:1, topic:218085"]
Can someone explain to me why tomorrow is not a Holy Day of Obligation because All Saints Day falls on a Monday?

Thanks!!!

[/quote]

I hope so.
You see, tomorrow IS a Holy Day of Obligation in the U.S.
The fact that it is a Holy Day of Obligation is not 'changeable.'

HOWEVER back in the 1990s the USCCB (the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) --who have the AUTHORITY to do so-- have permitted that, when Nov. 1 (All Saints) falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to attend Mass for the Holy Day is ABROGATED.

So. . .the Feast of All Saints is ALWAYS a Holy Day of Obligation BUT, on the pastoral judgment of the USCCB, on two particular given days of the week (Sat. or Monday), even though the Feast REMAINS a Holy Day of Obligation as always, the OBLIGATION to attend Mass is abrogated on those days.

Why? Many reasons, including that Mass attendance 'two days in a row" placed undue hardship on too many people, especially since especially of late years Sunday itself has become much less a day of rest, and with far more people actually having to work on Saturdays and Sundays, and with the economic climate making it more difficult for people to get 'time off' to go to Mass, and with fewer priests able to be available to say those Masses. There are probably more reasons, but the fact is, the bishops made the decision and they have the authority to do so.

And, of course, just because the bishops have removed the obligation to attend Mass tomorrow doesn't mean that you can't go... :) My parish is still having 5 Masses for All Saints' Day tomorrow, and my family and I are still planning to attend one of them.

Thank you!!! My parish is only having the normal morning mass tomorrow. I made a dentist's appointment tomorrow morning thinking I could go to mass tomorrow evening at the regular time for a Holy Day of Obligation :D They're having an evening mass on All Soul's Day so I'll go to that.

Thanks again for clarifying. I was real confused.

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:2, topic:218085"]
...the fact is, the bishops made the decision and they have the authority to do so.

[/quote]

That is, with the prior approval of the Holy See, which was obtained.

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:2, topic:218085"]
I hope so.
You see, tomorrow IS a Holy Day of Obligation in the U.S.
The fact that it is a Holy Day of Obligation is not 'changeable.'

HOWEVER back in the 1990s the USCCB (the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) --who have the AUTHORITY to do so-- have permitted that, when Nov. 1 (All Saints) falls on a Saturday or a Monday, the obligation to attend Mass for the Holy Day is ABROGATED.

So. . .the Feast of All Saints is ALWAYS a Holy Day of Obligation BUT, on the pastoral judgment of the USCCB, on two particular given days of the week (Sat. or Monday), even though the Feast REMAINS a Holy Day of Obligation as always, the OBLIGATION to attend Mass is abrogated on those days.

Why? Many reasons, including that Mass attendance 'two days in a row" placed undue hardship on too many people, especially since especially of late years Sunday itself has become much less a day of rest, and with far more people actually having to work on Saturdays and Sundays, and with the economic climate making it more difficult for people to get 'time off' to go to Mass, and with fewer priests able to be available to say those Masses. There are probably more reasons, but the fact is, the bishops made the decision and they have the authority to do so.

[/quote]

Code of Canon Law

Can. 1246 §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.

§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

Tomorrow is my daughter's bday...she will be 3, so we will be doing the family dinner and cake deal. I don't think I have attended a "All Saint's Day" mass since she was born

[quote="JM3, post:6, topic:218085"]
Code of Canon Law

Can. 1246 §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.

§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

[/quote]

But All Saints is not suppressed in this case. The obligation to attend Mass is simply abrogated in years where it falls on Saturday or Monday.

In Canada, OTOH, it IS suppressed. All Saints has not been a Holy Day of Obligation for years.

Canada also suppressed Immaculate Conception, Assumption, St. Joseph, and St. Peter and St. Paul.

It transferred Epiphany, Ascension & Body and Blood of Christ to Sunday.

The only Holy Days of Obligation that remain are Sundays, Christmas and Mary, Mother of God.

I personally think the church is wrong in removing the obligation, but I can understand some of the reasoning. For many priests, especially older ones, they are very tired on Mondays. People do not realize it, but it is hard work saying masses and if a priest has to say 3 or 4 masses on Sunday, they are likely to be very tired the next day. I have been told, this is the main reason why the Bishops remove the obligation on when the feast day falls on a Mondays.

[quote="tafan, post:9, topic:218085"]
I personally think the church is wrong in removing the obligation, but I can understand some of the reasoning. For many priests, especially older ones, they are very tired on Mondays. People do not realize it, but it is hard work saying masses and if a priest has to say 3 or 4 masses on Sunday, they are likely to be very tired the next day. I have been told, this is the main reason why the Bishops remove the obligation on when the feast day falls on a Mondays.

[/quote]

Good point, we often only think of our own need to get to the mass, but the priest is often doing it in triplicate.

[quote="Nanny_PK, post:1, topic:218085"]

Thanks!!!

[/quote]

because our bishop's conference in Texas says so, exercising their option to do so. Yes it is a holy day, yes it is observed, no there is no obligation to attend Mass, which we are heartily encouraged but not required to do.

BUT... today would have been a good day to have the kids home from school. :)

@ tafan...my Parish had 3 masses today in honor of All Saints Day and a funeral (or 2)

So the Priests were busy as usual today :)

[quote="Romanova, post:3, topic:218085"]
And, of course, just because the bishops have removed the obligation to attend Mass tomorrow doesn't mean that you can't go... :) My parish is still having 5 Masses for All Saints' Day tomorrow, and my family and I are still planning to attend one of them.

[/quote]

I wish mine was. They're just doing Mass at the normal 9 AM daily Mass time. I wish they had an evening service, I'd gladly attend.

[quote="Maureen1125, post:7, topic:218085"]
Tomorrow is my daughter's bday...she will be 3, so we will be doing the family dinner and cake deal. I don't think I have attended a "All Saint's Day" mass since she was born

[/quote]

Not surprising because the year she was born you would have been excused because you were giving birth, the year she was 1 All Saints Day fell on a Saturday, the year she was 2 it fell on a Sunday (so you actually did go to Mass you just didn't recognize that the feast of All Saint's was being celebrated) and this year, her third year, it falls on a Monday. Next year for your daughter's birthday you will be going to Mass ;).

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:12, topic:218085"]
BUT... today would have been a good day to have the kids home from school. :)

@ tafan...my Parish had 3 masses today in honor of All Saints Day and a funeral (or 2)

So the Priests were busy as usual today :)

[/quote]

We had three masses also. Most parishes do have a busier schedule than the typical week day, which is good. Our parish did a pretty good job at the Sunday masses yesterday encouraging people to attend mass on the Holy Day even if the obligation is removed.

Okay, so when she was born it was Friday and you were suppose to go but you had a valid medical reason for not going.

When she turned one, it would have been a Saturday so you were not required to go.

When she turned two, All Saints Day would have been on a Sunday, so hopefully you went and just don’t remember it, because you were suppose to go to Sunday mass anyway.

When she turns three (today), All Saints Days is on a Monday and you are not required to go.

Basically, it is only a holy day of obligation if it falls on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. I think it is lame and I asked the Holy Spirit in prayer today to inspire the bishops to reverse this ruling.

By the way, Happy Birthday to your daughter! What a great day to have a birthday.

Our parish just had the normal 8.30 service but it was a lovely mass. Our priest read out part of Pope Benedict's speech to students in the UK earlier this year when he invited them to strive to be saints. As he pointed out, while all of us at the mass weren't students, the message is definitely a good one .

It is a lovely speech and you can read it here -
thepapalvisit.org.uk/Replay-the-Visit/Speeches/Speeches-17-September/Pope-Benedict-s-address-to-pupils

Our Parish still honored All Saints Day and All Souls Day - we have Religious Brothers so there day starts at 5 am. On Sunday they had Masses at 8, 10:30, and 6 pm. Then Monday and Tuesday were Adoration 5am wake up, 6:30 am adoration, 7:20 Liturgy of the Hours Reading - Masses at 8 am, noon, and 6 pm. It has been a couple long days for them and there is only one priest and one deacon because we are a priest short at our parish. Even though the obligation was not there because it was treated as important people came.

Actually she was born on a Thursday..2007.

Anyways, I slept really late yesterday and we missed Sunday mass, so I took her tonight. She did okay, but I must say, it was one empty church. There were maybe 50 people there. I know that the obligation was "excused" but still, it is a Holy Day regardless.

I made myself feel guilty for having not gone in recent years, unless it was a Sunday, and we do go every Sunday and also to 1st Saturday Adorations, so since I missed yesterday and I knew there was Mass tonight, I figured we should go. They also have a mass tomorrow night at 7 for All Soul's Day. I will have to play that one by ear. Asking my 3yr old to sit through mass 2 nights in a row might be asking too much.

And Happy Birthday to the precious 3 yr old Daughter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.