All scripture is God breathed?

"2 Timothy 3 - 16 All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice,
17 That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.”

I’m highlighting every because that seems to be a key point for many who adhere to sola scripture.

Anyways, this verse is the one I am always quoted for the basis of sola scripture? How does one read this to mean only scripture is needed?

I’ve read it so many times and I try to be open and really understand their interpretation, but I just don’t see how they could understand from this single verse that all that is needed is scripture.

"17 That the man of God may be perfect."Who is this man of God if he is not a member of the Church?

And what do we know about the Church?

1 Timothy “If I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth

The believer, who has come into the Church and who is following His Church (the pillar and foundation of truth) and reading the Bible through the guidance of the Holy Spirit and Church(the pillar and foundation of truth) that He started, will find scripture to be the answer to being made perfect and ready for every good work.

Interesting enough if I read the NIV, they’ve taken out the made perfect and only say

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

So if I’m following sola scripture from that translation of the Bible, I’m not even sure where they are coming up with the idea that it’s all they need.

"All Scripture is God-breathed …"

I have no problem with the general meaning of the verses cited above but I’d ask what was considered “scripture”…when Timothy was composed?

Interesting enough, I have always thought the same thing, but accept the Church’s authority to decide what is considered scripture now.

When the New Testament writers referred to or quoted the scriptures, they meant, of course, the Old Testament.

Even more of a reason protestants should not use the scriptures the OP quoted to prove their point. It refers to the O.T.!

There are other reasons they use only the bible but that’s a whole different post.

God bless you
Fran
If you’re really interested in this, you could look up scriptures that have to do with Tradition, in case you’d like to give a reply to your quotes. Many teachings were passed on by mouth. Also check out the gospel of John 21:25, not all was written down.

Protestants say the bible is all they need because they accept the bible as the only authority to be followed. If we have a question about something we go to the bible, or the catechism of the catholic church or a papal document. They use only the bible.

In some ways I like this but it presents its own problems, of course. Like interpretations, for example. I like this because it would be EASIER for me to put lessons together! And it might even be easier for we lay folk to understand so that so many threads wouldn’t contradict each other.

God bless you
Fran
P.S. You’re right about the “man of God”.
And the “church” is everyone who followed Jesus and is still true to this day.

I think al ot of Protetstants believe in the fact that you have to let the Holy Spirit illuminate you into what is the correct interpretation though the irony is … I think the Holy Spirit would tell ya listen to the Church …For the Chruch is the visible light of the world so I would have to agree with you that sola scriptura is a falous concept.

Hi Brandonmorris, you’re right but it’s a lot more complicated than that!

It’s always the Holy Spirit that illuminates. The Catholic church also believe it’s the H.S. that illuminates it into the correct interpretation of scripture.

And yes, the H.S. would tell you to listen to the church, but which church?? We catholics listen to the catholic church but all protestants also listen to their particular church. For instance Baptists listen to their church, Lutherans listen to their church, Assemblies of God listen to their church. And so on. So everyone does listen to a church because it is the visible light of the world, as you say. Very beautifully put. Of course, we catholics believe we are correct.

I would like to say that fundamentally, all christian churches believe in the saving work of Jesus Christ, in baptism, marriage and many other things that we have in common which we could look at instead of always the differences - as also Pope Francis says.

Oh. And there’s also private revelation and interpretation. You could be reading a scripture and it says something special to you and is a word from God to you personally. These personal revelations are personal to you and should not be presented to others as church doctrine no matter how great they might seem to you.

God bless you
Fran

Amen to that one I wonder if Martin Luther ever thought about the samething before he taught sola scriptura

My own personal opinion is that Martin Luther didn’t really understand what kind of a church world he was going to create. (all the different factions of protestantism by leaving the core of the catholic church).

He was upset with some practices of the catholic church that were going on at the time and wanted to change them. He got ex-communicated by the Pope instead and so was forced out of the catholic church.

The rest is history, as you well know.

God bless you
Fran

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.