All sin is bad, but whats the difference between mortal and venial sin?

I’m trying to become more of a serious Christian and when researching I found the two types of sin;
Mortal sin and Venial sin

But I do not know the difference, I only know that mortal sin is worse that venial, but what exactly is mortal and venial sin?

Perhaps include an example of both so I can understand better?

The Catechism gives a great explaination, I’d enter here and read the entire chapter:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1855

A real life example:

Imagine a married man. His wife fixes supper every night and has it on the table waiting when he gets home.

One night he decides to go to have a couple of beers with work friends. He shows up 2 hours later than normal, did not call his wife to let her know. She is angry with him, but, they make up and all is fine.

Same man, one night he decides to go after work and spend 2 hours in a motel with another woman. She is angry with him, this will be a deep wound to their marriage, a quick apology will not heal this wound.

Mortal sin severs our relationship with God, removes from us His sanctifying grace that we need for salvation. Venial sin is less serious, but still damages us spiritually and may lead to graver sin in the future. As such, mortal sin is that which causes (or is at least foreseen to cause) grave harm or offence (towards yourself, towards another, or towards God), while venial sin would be an action that is less severe, but still wrong and to be avoided. The link in the above post will be able help you.

There are many actions which are considered gravely wrong that many people don’t even think twice about. Simply being baptized and calling ourselves Christians isn’t enough to save us; we have obligations in this life. This is why it is good that you are inquiring about the nature of sin, and what you must seek to avoid.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.