All Sins are Mortal?

So my line of reasoning:

That all sins are mortal
Because they’re sins
and the wages of sin is death.

What’s wrong? Why is that not true?

I think you are refering to 2 diferent ideas, one is the sin brought death as in the original sin, and the other is the concept of mortal sin, the one sends us to Hell.

No, not all sins are mortal.

1 John 5:16-17 Scroll down to verse sixteen:

usccb.org/bible/1john/5

All wrongdoing is sin but not all sin is Mortal.

Breaking any of the Commandments is a Mortal Sin.

'Mortal sin is called mortal because it is the “spiritual” death of the soul (separation from God). If we are in the state of grace it loses this supernatural life for us. If we die without repenting we will lose Him for eternity. However, by turning our hearts back to Him and receiving the Sacrament of Penance we are restored to His friendship. Catholics are not allowed to receive Communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins. It is always good to remember, especially those who are trying to be faithful but sometimes fall, that for mortal sin it must not only be:

1. serious matter, but
  2. the person must know it is serious and then
  3. freely commit it.

Venial sins are slight sins. They do not break our friendship with God, although they injure it. They involve disobedience of the law of God in slight (venial) matters. If we gossip and destroy a person’s reputation it would be a mortal sin. However, normally gossip is about trivial matters and only venially sinful. Additionally, something that is otherwise a mortal sin (e.g. slander) may be in a particular case only a venial sin. The person may have acted without reflection or under force of habit. Thus, not fully intending the action their guilt before God is reduced.

These two categories of sin are explicitly to be found in Sacred Scripture. In the Old Covenant there were sins that merited the death penalty and sins that could be expiated by an offering. This Law was a teacher that prepared the way for the faith (Gal. 3:24). In the New Covenant these material categories are replaced by spiritual ones, natural death by eternal death. There are thus daily faults for which we must daily ask forgiveness (Mt. 6:12), for even the “just man falls seven times a day” (Prov. 24:16), and mortal faults that separate the sinner from God (1 Cor. 6:9-10) for all eternity.’ (EWTN)

It is true. Jesus came to save us from our sins. Mortal and Venial. One Venial sin is enough to separate us from God. Our sin nature is enough ! That’s why we baptize infants!

It is certainly good to confess Venial sins to a priest just not required. It is only required to confess serious sins called mortal sins. This is to help one turn from such destructive behaviors and reconcile with God and the church.

Our Venial sins are forgiven whenever we say a sincere act of contrition

For breaking any of the commandments to be a mortal sin you must have fulfilled the 3 steps for mortal sins Im I right?
At least that’s what I’ve been told by my confessor.
So if ones guily of breaking the seventh commandment and lies about something that involves another person and to say ruins his reputation without thinking about the severity of it ones not guily of commiting a mortal sin as one doesn’t fulfill the 3 steps?
At least that’s what I’ve been thought.
So murder doesn’t necessarily qualify as a mortal sin if to say its a matter of self defense.

Correct me if Im wrong:)

God Bless

In my example of breaking the 7 commandment I forgot to mention that we should right the wrongs if possible.
In this given case one should step up and tell everyone that it was in fact a lie and clear the name of the insulted person.

:thumbsup:

Killing in legitimate self defense is not even a sin.

I think this is dangerously over simplifying. Just because you don’t think about the consequence of lying doesn’t mean you aren’t culpable for it.

For example:

I could drive my car 100 mpg because I want to test it’s performance. If I kill someone doing so, I am culpable in taking another’s life. I should have known.

Such things really NEED TO BE CONFESSED.

I would really encourage people to not look for loopholes. If you done something wrong don’t get hung up on Venial vs mortal so much as just confess it! It’s good all around!

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

THE GRAVITY OF SIN: MORTAL AND VENIAL SIN

CCC 1854 Sins are rightly evaluated according to their gravity. The distinction between mortal and venial sin, already evident in Scripture, became part of the tradition of the Church. It is corroborated by human experience.

CCC 1855 Mortal sin destroys charity in the heart of man by a grave violation of God’s law; it turns man away from God, who is his ultimate end and his beatitude, by preferring an inferior good to him.

Venial sin allows charity to subsist, even though it offends and wounds it.

CCC 1856 Mortal sin, by attacking the vital principle within us - that is, charity - necessitates a new initiative of God’s mercy and a conversion of heart which is normally accomplished within the setting of the sacrament of reconciliation:

When the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with the charity that orients man toward his ultimate end, then the sin is mortal by its very object . . . whether it contradicts the love of God, such as blasphemy or perjury, or the love of neighbor, such as homicide or adultery. . . . But when the sinner’s will is set upon something that of its nature involves a disorder, but is not opposed to the love of God and neighbor, such as thoughtless chatter or immoderate laughter and the like, such sins are venial.

CCC 1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

CCC 1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: “Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother.” The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

CCC 1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

CCC 1860 Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. The promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest.

CCC 1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

CCC 1862 One commits venial sin when, in a less serious matter, he does not observe the standard prescribed by the moral law, or when he disobeys the moral law in a grave matter, but without full knowledge or without complete consent.

CCC 1863 Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul’s progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not break the covenant with God. With God’s grace it is humanly reparable. “Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness.”

While he is in the flesh, man cannot help but have at least some light sins. But do not despise these sins which we call “light”: if you take them for light when you weigh them, tremble when you count them. A number of light objects makes a great mass; a number of drops fills a river; a number of grains makes a heap. What then is our hope? Above all, confession.

CCC 1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

The flaw in the logic is that St. Paul never said that the wages of ALL sin is death.

Look at this statement

All mammals are elephants
Because they are mammals
And elephants are mammals.

Is that logical premise true, that all mammals are elephants, or is ‘mammal’ a general classification that includes elephants

Yes, the wages of sin is death. That was made quite obvious in the fall of Adam and Eve. However, Jesus took upon Himself our sin and went to the altar of the Cross and offered Himself up to the Father. So, while death entered into the world through sin, Jesus conquered death and redeemed mankind. Unless we intentionally reject God and the gift of His Son we have eternal life. Mortal sin occurs only when we intentionally reject God and do not ask for forgiveness. Once we repent then we are reconciled (through the Sacrament of Reconciliation) back to the Father and the merits of Christ’s death are renewed in us (sanctifying grace) and we are coheirs to eternal life.

:thumbsup:

If your name is Adam or Eve and you’re many millennia old, then yes any sin is mortal.

If you’re a fallen human redeemed by Christ and restored to relationship by God by Grace, then some sins damage your relationship with God, but don’t sever it. Basically it’s not that different from relationships in your family. If you borrow your sister’s shoes without asking she’s unlikely to never speak to you again, but the relationship will be damaged to an extent. If you attack her with a knife, you might stop getting invited to Christmas…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.