All sins equal?

Where in the bible does it say “venial sin” and mortal sin".

The English word mortal means deadly.

1 John 5:16-17 Talks of sins that are deadly and sins that are “not” deadly. Hence the terms mortal and venial, which simply mean deadly and not deadly.

If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

Where in the Bible does it ever say there is such a thing as a “Bible”, or that the “Bible” is the source of all information about religion or morals?

That being said, it is simply a matter of common sense. For example, do you really think that a passing feeling of anger at another driver who cut you off will disrupt your relationship with God in the same way that a deliberate plot to murder your neighbor and then seduce his widow would?

:thumbsup:

Mortal sin is mentioned in 1 John 5:16-17 - “If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.”

The phrase “venial” does not appear in the Bible anywhere that I know of, but the above verse does specifically say that some sins are “not mortal” and “venial” just a name we give to those sins.

Also

John 19:11 the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.

You see a number of examples in Scripture referring to degrees of sin

So, I wonder what type of sin it would be that Satan committed? Im referring to the actual rebellion in Heaven and the ‘coup’ attempt on Gods position, plus the fact he managed to influence 1/3 of the angels that he was right and they should also rebel against God and then follow and worship him?

Id imagine this type of sin is something not even possible for mankind…maybe God called it ‘Angelic sin’?, as it would have never been possible for any person to influence an angel, not even 1, much less 1/3 of ALL the angels, so this particular sin would be a sin that no human could possibly commit.

There probably isn’t a name for the sin but he will have the worst eternity of all and he chose it with full knowledge.

I’m not sure, but I would think that Satan is guilty of committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which is the only unforgivable sin. It probably has to do with being privy to the Beatific Vision and yet still rejecting it.

Where in the bible does it say “trinity”? You have been shown where John wrote of deadly sins and those which did not lead to death. That is the primary scriptural basis for the two categories of sin. They had to be called something, right? What do you want, “Bad” and “Really bad”? Just kidding.

This is from the homepage of this website from 11 days ago.

catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/mortal-and-venial-sin

[/FONT]1 John 5:15-17 not only is there distinction

But when a sin is so terrible that if one dies in it they can’t inherit heaven, that by definition is a mortal sin

example
[/FONT]1 Corinthians 6:8-10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.