All the times where it appears God has lied, or has had someone else lie for him: Please explain

All these verses kind of disturb me, because alot of them show God intentionally trying to deceive people, yet claims he cannot lie and will never deceive. Could someone please give proper context for each verse listed?

Now I’ve heard that God only used other people to lie and cause someone to believe the lie, but isn’t that just another form of lying? God is intentionally putting people in a situation to be deceived.

**1 Kings 22:23 **

Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

**2 Chronicles 18:22 **

*Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.
**Jeremiah 4:10 **

Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.

**Jeremiah 20:7 **

O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

**Ezekiel 14:9 **

And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

**2 Thessalonians 2:11 **

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

All I can tell you is, these verses must be read in context. As I cannot tell what the context is, I cannot truly help you. Also, which Bible did you get these from?

The Lord did not deceived his people. He promised them great things IF they remained faithful to him. Jeremiah is all about this people abandoning God, turning to idols and bad living. Hence, God is threatening to pull back his protection if this people do not repent. They did not and got punished.

**Jeremiah 20:7 **

O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

Jeremiah was just complaining to God that he has been shamed and ridiculed for prophesying bad news. He was a just a tad too quick to remind God of what he had prophesied and hinting very loudly if what he prophesied didn’t come true, it would mean God has deceived him. His prophecy came true.

Jeremiah was likely a young lad and somewhat “unguarded” with his language. Jer 1:6 His immaturity does show.
I may respond in piecemeal depending on ease of extracting the appropriate response.*

Another reason why it can appear that God is being blamed of deceiving his people is because God didn’t reveal His mysteries to them when they wanted Him to. In a way, it’s a testament to the impatience of the Jews, who, when promised peace, assumed that God was referring to peace on this world. Of course we now know that God was promising a redeemer who would bring salvation and peace to all His chosen ones, but they assumed otherwise and spoke otherwise.

Always consider that the colloquial way in which many of these verses are phrased are expressions by the writer, which often convey more about how the writer feels than what God is actually doing.

God does not lie. God does not sin.

A true deceit is one where you don’t intend to tell people about the deceit before the event. These passages actually disclose the so-call deceit BEFORE the event. Ahab had all these so-call 400 prophets telling him it is ok to go to war. But Jehoshapat wanted an alternative opinion and Micaiah was summoned. And Micaiah promptly told Ahab what he wanted to hear. Although the passages didn’t portray the tone or body language, it is clear that Ahab knew Macaiah was parroting what he wanted to hear and hence ordered Macaiah to tell the truth which he did. Ahab had 2 choices, either to go with his 400 prophets or with Macaiah. And that he chose to side with the lying spirit when the options were laid out is telling. God gave him a chance but he chose the other.

The prophets that Ahab relied upon, are not the prophets of God but of Baal. Although shown previously that they were not of God, he continued to use them. 1 Kings 18:19-40. For Baal through his prophets to prophesy inaccurately is no different from God permitting Satan to lie. And Ahab chose to side with Baal over God, again. But this time to his demise.

The prior chapter refers to these false prophets Eze 13. As in the Kings and Chronicles verses, God does permit lying spirits to operate through false prophets. And these false prophets will be punished because they claim to speak for God on false authority. God does allow false gods and Satan to operate and those that chose to follow these false gods/satan will be punished eventually.

**2 Thessalonians 2:11 **

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Similarly for Thessalonians, those who chose to side with Satan (2 The 2:9), will be deluded. It is not a righteous person being deluded by God but those who persist to set themselves against God. God will let you have your way. Satan with all his powers will appear convincing, and God will allow Satan to appear convincing. He does not deny Satan misuse of his powers. Satan may look credible. (So that you can choose freely. A Satan with little or crippled powers is not a strong alternative) Hence those who follow Satan will be deluded. Contrast this against Job.

The answer I’ve seen proposed for at least some of these is that they are anthropomorphic descriptions (trying to explain God inadequately in human terms).

Msgr. Stuart Swetland discussed this concept at length this morning on Morning Air on Relevant Radio. That recording is at relevantradio.streamguys.us/MA%20Archive/MA20160217b.mp3 (from 17:20 to 24:40).

He discussed it in terms of Jonah 3:10 (“And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil which he said he would do unto them; and he did it not.”), but I think it gets at the same issue you’re struggling with. Check it out; you may find value in it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.