Allah and our God the same God?

Hello one and all,
Can someone enlighten me?,I would like to know if the Muslim’s Allah is the same God as ours but under another name?What I am trying to say is are they the same?I ask this question with great respect as I do not wish to offend anyone,Catholic or Muslim.I do hope you can help as this has puzzled me for a long while.
God Bless,
Mick.

It’s not even another name. “Allah” is the name used by Arab Christians for God.

Edwin

They’re very different.

The Christian God is a Father. Allah is not and to even suggest it to a Muslim is one of the highest forms of blasphemy to them.

The Christian God is love. Allah demands subservience which is only allocated to slaves and not children. Muslims do not love slaves.

The Christian God’s proper name as revealed to Moses is YHWH. Allah is a the proper name for the Muslim god, which as you can plainly see is very different.

Yes, they are the same God, even if we have slightly different conceptions of Him.

Hey Mick.
I grew up with the same cliché… that we all worship the same God.
And ontologically yes: there is only one God, why in their inner self something in man strives for union with this one true God…

However… there are many gods, which is also testified in the Old Testament.
So ask your self: “How do I know the elephant-god in Hinduism and the Christian God are not the same person?”. You would rightly anwer: “Because of apparent contraditions in the revelations in these two respective religions about Christ and the elephant-god”… and that is correct. How do you know a god? By looking at the revelation in that respective religion. Now, our Judeo-christian tradition teaches us that there is only One God and our sacred Scripture tells us about Him. We know Him first through the JewishTanakh and then the New Testament testifying to Christ, who is the fullness of God reavealed to man. Jesus Christ, the Only Son of God is our final Revelation and we believe in the testimony of his contemporaries and The Holy Spirit.

What about Islam?.. again: know the god through reading the revelations… How does this god reveal himself ? Does it correspond to what you know about the God of the Christians and Jews? Are there contradictions?
When it comes to Islam its simple. Yes there are major contradictions. Ergo, it can not be the same deity … One example: Accoring to the islamic revelation, the god, allah, says that those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God, are cursed.

As for the language problem:… yes, allah means god in arabic. but that does not mean we speak of the same person.
When a new ager refers to god as some energy in space you will also know that inspite of the use of the word “god” he/she is not talking about the Lord our God who came in the person of Christ.

Hope you are still with me… This is indeed an important question that even our priests are sometimes confused about. :slight_smile:
Shalom.
Grace <>< (bachelor in religious science)

Slightly different!!!.. so… not recognizing Jesus as the Son of God and also saying that the Trinity according to Christianity involves Mary, the mother of Jesus, are minor details… All I can say is… wow! Are you a Christian… or have you just never studied the point in question?

90% of the Quran agrees with the Bible, you know. From a third-person perspective, yes, Jesus is a minor difference. Obviously, there are huge theological ramifications, but when a Muslim prays to Allah and a Christian prays to the Father, they both have the same guy in mind, more or less.

He’s studied it more than you seem to have.

Nostra Aetate:

1. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

You worship the same God – learn to love it.

“Dispute ye not with the People of the Book…but say: 'We believe in the Revelation which has come down to us and which has come down to you; Our Allah and your Allah are One; and it is to him we bow…”–from the Qur’an (close paraphrase)

Christians and Muslims are both striving to worship the same God. Despite some discrepancies, you’ll find we converge more than we disagree.

Check out the Catechism for some good articles on the faith relationship between Muslims and Christians. Good stuff.

One question that may help in seeing clearly. Do the Jews worship the same God as Christians? Yes, they do. From our perspective they dont have the fullness of divine revelation. The same is true about our moslems friends.

Is there more than one God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.? Short answer, no! Only those people of any of the three main World religions who are adamantly against the other two hold that only they have the true God. The rest of us should know better.:slight_smile:

The Melkite Catholics would disagree with you. They refer to God as Allah as well.

Islam is a heretical approach to the God of Abraham. Allah is our God, worshipped and understood under the wrong understanding. Muslims don’t claim to worship a God other than the God of Abraham, and nothing about their belief indicates anything other than a heretical understanding of the One God.

So it’s the same God, they just have the wrong idea about him.

And yes, we do worship Allah in the Melkite Liturgy. We knew Allah long before the Muslims came along. :thumbsup:

Peace and God bless!

Does this mean that Melkite Catholics claim that Allah is the proper name of God and not YHWH?

Not really proper name. “Allah” is the Arabic word used where we in English would use the word “God” (Lat. Deus; Gk. Theos).
For example, the Melkites use the Arabic phrase “Quddouson Allah” where we would say “Holy God.” Ilah means God. Attaching the definite article and we get al-Illah, i.e. the God. It gets shortened to Allah.

Where YHWH would appear, they would use the Arabic word Rabb, just as we would use LORD in English.

But they are referring to the CHRISTIAN God.

The argument was that Allah refers to another god, which is clearly not true.

But then again do Muslims acknowledge that the proper name of God is YHWH?

Quddouson Allah! Quddouson ul-qawee! Quddouson ulladhee la yamout! Irhamna.

:slight_smile:

Peace and God bless!

Lemme take a wild guess at translation:

Holy God!
Holy the mighty!
Holy the Immortal!

Did I get it right?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.