Allah is the One God of Abraham

The extreme view that Allah is some other god than the God of Abraham is simply a ridiculous notion. People who propogate this view have concocted a lie that Allah is anything other than the Arabic way to speak of the one monotheistic God of the children of Isreal (as the Quran claims).

The Arabic term “Allah” is a combination of two words, “AL” and “ILAH”.

“Al” is the definite article in Arabic. semitic linguists believe that the original root definite article of all semitic languages was “Hal.” with Hebrew it evolved as “Ha” and Arabic as “Al”.

“ILAH” means divinity or “god” but “ILAH” is not definite. It can be made feminine or it can be made plural and thus does not always convey the absoluteness of THE ONE God, So accordingly, when speaking of THE ONE God of monotheism, the Qur’an says “AL-ILAH” which is conjugated into “ALLAH”.

Isn’t there over 14 million Christian Arabs in the world today? If that is the case, then this means there are 14 million Christians calling God by this name of “ALLAH” as well. The ignorant who tells you that Allah is another god other than Abraham’s God is actually slandering the Christian faith. All Arabic bibles refer to THE ONE God as “ALLAH” because any Arabic linguist knows there is no other way to speak of the one god of monotheism than by saying “the God”. If you say “a god” or “ILAH” then you are implying in the semitic mind that there are other gods and this is your god. The Islamic declaration of faith is L"La Ilaha illa Allah" meaning there is no god besides the one and only God". Arabic bibles translated by Arabian Christians demonstrate this:

arabicbible.com/bible/doc_bible.htm

Taking a look at the first sentence of the Arabic bible we notice the first like of Genesis reads “In the beginning Allah created the heavens and the earth”. So there is no difference between the God of teh Bible and the God of the Qur’an. At the very least, one must accept that linguistically this is so. you may disagree with the Islamic understanding fo the will and law of God, but certainly no one knowledgeable of Arabic, Aramaic and Hebrew can say that “Allah” linguistically is any different than the Arabic version of the God of the bible.

Furthermore, isn’t Aramaic the language of Jesus’ time and region? According to the scan image of Vine’s Complete Exposition Dictionary below

We also find in the Hebrew version of Daniel 2:47 where the term Alah/elah are used exactly as it appears were it transliterated into English.

Daniel 2:47 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

47 The king said to Daniel, “Surely your God is** the God** of gods and the Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries, for you were able to reveal this mystery.”

דניאל 2:47 (The Westminster Leningrad Codex)
The Westminster Leningrad Codex (WLC)

47 עָנֵה֩ מַלְכָּ֨א לְדָנִיֵּ֜אל וְאָמַ֗ר מִן־קְשֹׁט֙ דִּ֣י אֱלָהֲכֹ֗ון ה֣וּא אֱלָ֧הּ אֱלָהִ֛ין וּמָרֵ֥א מַלְכִ֖ין וְגָלֵ֣ה רָזִ֑ין דִּ֣י יְכֵ֔לְתָּ לְמִגְלֵ֖א רָזָ֥ה דְנָֽה׃

Source: biblegateway.com

God is the One God of Abraham.

:smiley:

it just also means Jesus is God. :wink:

The sad thing is some don’t recognize Jesus is the One God of Abraham.

Islam is a form of heresy. My Pastor tells me that Islam is even considered by some to be a heresy of the Catholic Church. Since I am not a religious scholar on par with my Pastor, I have no reason to doubt him on that score, but I am quite sure that Islam is a heresy.

It is said in the scriptures that you shall know someone by “their fruits”. Islamists around the world are professing and carrying out mass murder. If we are to believe the scriptures, Islamists are saying that we shall know them by the murder they commit. That cannot be from God. God has told us, and them, that we should not murder.

While those who profess Islam may believe that they follow the God of Abraham and, in so doing, follow the same God as we Catholics do, but they have departed from us in many significant ways, not the least of which is the current focus on murder to make a statement.

I pray for the followers of Islam to abandon their heresy and their return to the true church of God, the Catholic Church.

Just because someone claims something doesn’t make it true.

It’s just a choice of words which doesn’t prove anything. The Arabs use al-Ilah to mean ‘The God’ - doesn’t mean their god is the same as other Abrahamic gods.

Most people like to think there are only 3 Abrahamic faiths. There are more.

For instance Rastafarianism is an Abrahamic faith. Their god is ‘Jah’ from Yahweh.

There was also a crypto-Christian faith in China in the 19th century called “Taiping” which was also supposedly a spin-off of Christianity. Their god was also the god of Abraham.

The moral is: just because a lunatic claims that his god is the God of Abraham doesn’t make it so. You have to look at the characteristics of that god to see if the lunatic’s claim is true or just plain lunacy. I don’t give credence to lunatics no matter how they call their god.

What’s sad is that there are some who still cannot accept that Muslims worship the same God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Where we differ, as I keep saying, is on the nature of God.

It’s only extreme if you think they way you do. It becomes an incontrovertible fact if simple reason is applied to complex relationships.

With respect to God, I would not care if the name Allah was written in my NJB; they are clearly different entities. It is not the name in any form, spelling or origination, though it does not hurt the evidence. It is not even the pre-Mohammedan Arabian use of a pagan god with the same name and supremacy, though it does not hurt the evidence.

No, what makes it so obvious that Allah is not the God of Abraham, God the Father of Christ, Christ Himself, and the Holy Spirit; is what that god of Muhammad says.

The name(s) means nothing, concept means everything. Only for the reasons you stated does allah mean God to people, and that is the extent Mohammedans know of the One True God. Everything behind their understanding of God is in the Qur’an. And if you think that view of god is God, then one of us should review our faith.

This does not acknowledge Allah. It is very clever writing.

1. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting. …

It highlights to promote only what could be, though the Moslem view of even those similarities is skewed. Saying anything else would give credence to that faith. I also just found this which I agree with, with one exception. I think the Church and the Popes quoted know exactly what they are saying. I think we are not privy to exactly why, however- though one can guess. To say otherwise would be to declare war Moslems would readily accept. That goes against our faith, but perfectly in line with theirs.

The Koran does not positively identify the spirit that spoke to Muhammad in the cave or ever. Find out who told Mohammad it was Gabriel.

If the Qur’an does not say it was Gabriel, we need to take the word of Muhammad since only he ever uttered a word to be recorded as the Word. That is the Quran- the literal word of god from one man. We also have to trust the scribes who copied it, and any Mohammedan will not dispute the accuracy of any of the Qur’an, anywhere in the world! It’s perfect. (As long as it is in classical Arabic…or some other qualifier)

Read the Qur’an. Tell me if that is God.

Not to defend Islam, but, by saying Allah is not our God, aren’t you saying that there are other Gods out there besides our God? Now, if an Islam believes in a Supreme Being who created the Earth, aren’t they referring to our God? Now their grasp of spirituality is flawed in my opinion, but I believe their is one God, they do too. I don’t believe there are other gods.

Many people make home-made chicken soup, but none like your mom.

Now, if an Islam believes in a Supreme Being who created the Earth, aren’t they referring to our God? Now their grasp of spirituality is flawed in my opinion, but I believe their is one God, they do too. I don’t believe there are other gods.

I do not believe in other gods either, but Wiccans and Pagans do as an example. Ther are many practicing polytheists. What Mohammad did was as if the American Indians claimed The Great Spirit is God, and claim some affinity to the God of Abraham, write a book about it from a single Chief who became a successful warrior and powerful autocratic religious ruler.

Did Moroni come from God that spoke to Joseph Smith?

I think you’re confusing a real God (whomever he/she is) with a false god.

Just because someone says that he worships one god does not mean his ‘one god’ is your ‘one god’. His god could be Satan in disguise.

Remember Akhenaton believed in one god too - the Aton. You’d be hard pressed to think the Sun is your god.

I didn’t check your profile before I said that. For whatever reason I assumed you were Catholic. Reviewing ones faith should be a common activity anyway.

Looking from the point of view of comparative religion, is is fairly easy to say Jews, Muslims and Christians believe in only one God. It could be argued each faith worships a different entity by ‘God’ in the sense each faith has a different definition of God, but I don’t think that really holds water as the properties and attributes of God held by the theologians of all three religions is basically the same. The problem seems to come when it comes to contemplating the Godhead itself and what its nature is; Jews and Muslims refuse to believe the fundamental unity of the Godhead could in any way be multiple, while Christians believe the Godhead has three subsistent persons existing there. This is clearly where it might be said Christians worship a ‘different’ God than Jews or Muslims, but otherwise the properties, unity and attributes of God are very similar across the three religions.

It would seem to me that the very core nature of God is a pretty significant difference. The original sin teaching would seem to be a major one as well.

Yes, it is difficult to believe that the Islamic Allah is the Christian God - what with the Islamic Allah telling Muslims to fight, kill and persecute non-believers.

I should think that is rather Satanic, don’t you think, Greg?

Karen Armstrong’s “A History of God” is a fantastic work on the subject. The Allah of Muslims is the same God as worshipped by Christians and Jews. As someone already mentioned, Arab Christians refer to God as Allah.

Milliardo hit the nail on the head.

Lets look to our similarities, not search for reasons to exclude others. Heck, Mary is mentioned more in the Quran than she is in the Greek New Testament. Karen Armstrong mentions that one sect of Sufism (a form of Islamic mysticism) changed the Shahada (proclamation of faith) to say “There is no God but Allah and Jesus was his messenger”. As she says, this claim is true for Muslims if somewhat provocative…

If you believe that the Christian God is the same God as the God of the Jews, I don’t see why you would be surprised. There are plenty of examples throughout the Hebrew Scriptures of the Jews being told to wipe out any number of cultures and take their lands and goods for their own.

Yes, it’s unbelievable, isn’t it? That’s why I’m an, Heaven forbid, atheist.

Jews have never been an evangelical faith. By wiping out the cultures, they were not polluted by them as a means to protect the purity of their faith. It refined the messege like gold is refined. It is why they were Choosen.

For any of the gods you acknowledge, the mystery of their power and influence can manifest itself in unique ways over a long period of time. Why should that be any different for the one that many believe is the One?

I grew up Mormon. My Mormon friends believe in the God who “organized” the world into its present form and “organized” our spirits/intelligences into who we are today. They deny such a thing as “creation” or a God that is eternal, immutable, or a Creator.

They attribute the current existence of the world to a supernatural entity just like Catholics, Mohammedans, and Wiccans. Do they worship the same God? Is that sufficient?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.