Alleged Pope Leo X "Quote"

“What profit has not that fable of Christ brought us!”

I’ve heard about this alleged “quote” before, but I’m debating someone who is using it. I’ve seen a few sites that have refuted this claim a while ago but, I can’t seem to find them. Could someone help me out with this?

Thanks.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=120737

There is also an article in the new book by J.P. Holding on Shattering the Christ Myth with table of contents:

Chapter 5: Refuting “Remsberg’s List”. Answers the charge that Jesus ought to be mentioned in the works of various ancient authors.
Chapter 6: The Silence of Silence. On the premise that “silence” about details of Jesus’ life in the NT epistles supports a mythicist thesis.
Chapter 7: Shadows and Subordinations. On the claim that the NT’s use of the OT to describe history proves the mythicist thesis, as well as a look at theological misunderstandings associated with the mythicist thesis.
Chapter 8: The Life Markers of Jesus. On how silence mythicists handle clear references to an earthly Jesus in the NT epistles.
Chapter 9: Earl Doherty’s Christianities by Kevin Rosero. On the lack of witnesses to the beliefs that Doherty attributes to the earliest Christians. Rosero’s blog is located here.
Chapter 10: Jesus Didn’t Exist in the 21st Century. A future researcher shows that a modern hymnal proves that people of the 21st century did not believe in an earthly Jesus.
Chapter 11: Leo’s Line. Did Pope Leo X really say that Christ was a “fable”?
Chapter 12: Trypho’s Terror. Does Justin’s Dialogue with Trypho contain early evidence of a Christ myth?
Chapter 13: The Silence Mythicists. Profiles of G. A. Wells and Earl Doherty, and an analysis of why some think they are more effective than they are.

That’s only part of the table of contents. Seems very complete with several contributors.

Phil P

It was from an anti-Catholic satirical piece.

It would be interesting to see the alledged context and the original, untranslated quote.

Of course “myth”, “tale”, & “fable” do not mean “untrue”

do you mean this in context to the quote or as definition of these words in general?

In general

Myths and fables have long been used to convey “truths” or truisms
And I have seen the alleged Pope quote translated with both the words “fable” and “myth”
“Tale” I suppose is closest to “fiction” in the modern sense

Jesus spoke in parables after all and He was certainly speaking Truth

But some times people tend to confuse “truth” with fact

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.