Alleged quotes

Someone sent these alleged quotes from Popes and Church Hierarchy:

We hold upon this earth the place of God Almighty." Pope Leo XIII (1878-1903)

“The Pope takes the place of Jesus Christ on earth. By divine right, the Pope has supreme and full power in faith and morals over each and every pastor and his flock. He is the true Vicar of Christ, the Head of the entire Church, the father and teacher of all Christians. He is the infallible ruler, the founder of dogmas, the author of and the judge of councils, the universal ruler of truth, the arbiter of the world, the supreme judge of heaven and earth, the judge of all, being judged by no one, God Himself on earth.” -New York Catechism (early 20th century)

“The Pope and God are the same.” Pope Pius V (1566-1572)

“The Pope is of so great dignity, and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were, God. and the vicar of God.” -Ferraris Ecclesiastical dictionary, 18th century.

“All names which in the Scriptures are applied to Christ, by virtue of which it is established that He is over the church, all the same names are applied to the Pope.” - On the Authority of the Councils, book 2, Chapter 17.

“The pope is the supreme judge of the law of the land . . . He is the vicegerent of Christ, and is not only a priest forever, but also King of kings and Lord of lords”–La Civilta Cattolica, March 18, 1871.

I believe I saw something about these quotes on here refuting these allegations. Does anyone know about these claims.

Dylan

Look at the age of those quotes, they are a century(centuries) old. And they are taken out of context. They are the type of things I would expect to see published in some anti-catholic tract. Maybe they are, maybe they are not.

Even so, a hundred years ago there was no commercial air flight, not to mention CD’s computers, space flight, heart transplants, etc. etc. Like technology, medicine, science, etc., ideas, concepts, beliefs, etc. evolve, change, and become clearer to man. Even if they are valid ideas, they reflect the thinking of the time. And possibly a place. They seem to be European (except for the NY reference), and Europe was the world of monarchies in the Middle Ages. They might be comparing the world of the papacy to the world of Kings and Monarchs in another culture.

If you are searching for a understanding of the papacy, see what the modern day Catechism of the Catholic Church says. I don’t think you will see it put quite the same way in our modern language and understanding.

My two cents.
Shalom

The quotes express a submission to papal authority that is not much different from the praise-worthy submission shown to those in authority in the following Bible verses:

Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord.
(Ephesians 5:22)

So once the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves and were submissive to their husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. (1 Peter 3:5-6)

Slaves, be obedient to those who are your earthly masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of heart, as to Christ; not in the way of eye-service, as men-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to men; (Ephesians 6: 5-6)

and though my condition was a trial to you, you did not scorn or despise me, but received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. (Galatians 4:14)

When you see claims like that first google a line of it, to see where it is coming from and if the primary document with that quote even exists online. In this case, it appears that the quotes maybe based on forged documents like Pseudo-Isidorian Decretals or Donation of Constantine.
catholicconcerns.com/Forged.html

google.com/search?hl=en&q=The+Pope+takes+the+place+of+Jesus+Christ+on+earth.+By+divine+right%2C+the+Pope+has+&btnG=Search

Next, try to look up the PRIMARY papal documents online,
fordham.edu/halsall/source/b8-unam.html to see what was really written.

Pope Fiction: Answers to 30 Myths and Misconceptions About the Papacy by Patrick Madrid

Oh yeah, if you don’t have a copy of this book, get one.

:thumbsup:

One of these Protestants keeps bringing up those quotes I mentioned previously.

He posted these links:

protestantamerican.blogspot.com/2006/08/turn-from-lies-to-truth.html

remnantofgod.org/beastword.htm#earthgod

I realize they are taken out of context but, does anyone know how I can refute these allegations that Catholics believe the “pope is God”, etc.? Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.