"(Alleluia)" in the Liturgy of the Hours?

I see an (Alleluia) after the antiphons in the current version of Christian Prayer.

What is that for? How is it used? Is that substituted at certain times of the year?

And where is that large automobile? And what is that beautiful house? And where does that highway go? Am I right? Am I wrong? My God! What have I done?

-Tim-

Where, specifically?

The (Alleluia) after the “God, come to my assistance” and the following “Glory to the Father” is used all year round, except in Lent.

The “(alleluia)” you see after antiphons the Propers and Commons are used only during the Easter season.

:confused:

I’ve been a secular Franciscan for years and just recently learned that. Our whole fraternity had been saying the alleluias until our Spiritual Assistant told us it was only for Easter. :o

I have both Christian Prayer and the four-volume and I found that Christian Prayer doesn’t have sufficient instructions or hints on this particular point. On the four-volume, it’s obvious, because the General Instruction is complete and covers this matter, and Volume II (Lent and Easter) has the (alleluias) in all the right places while the other three volumes (I, Advent and Christmas, III and IV, the two Ordinary Time books), do not print them at all, clearly indicating that they are not to be said outside of Easter. Of course, when Volume II is used, alleluia is never said during Lent, leaving the (alleluia) texts reserved for Easter only.

Of course, for the God come to my assistance verses, Alleluia is said all year except in Lent.

I’m talking about the (Alleluia) after the antiphons. I am not talking about “God come to my assistance”. I understand now that the Alleluia is used only during Easter season. Thanks for the info.

Is Alleluia said in place of the anitiphon or after the antiphon?

Same as it ever was…Same as it ever was…Same as it ever was…

-Tim-

It is said after the antiphons only during the Easter Season.

Pax

What is with these tiny words?

youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI

-Tim-

In the chanted version of the Divine Office, only Alleluia is chanted during normal ferias and memorials except that the OT and NT canticles have a proper antiphon on a one-week cycle; on Sundays there are proper antiphons and of course every day the Gospel canticle antiphons except at Compline are proper; at compline the antiphon “Salva nos” has an alleluia added to the end of it.

In the monastic tradition, including the post-Vatican II versions of the Monastic Divine Office, there’s a tradition of lightening the liturgy for easter season. Thus:

1. the proper antiphons for Sunday are ad libitum; an “alleluia” (only) antiphon may be used;
  2. at Lauds, the entire psalmody before the OT canticle is said under one alleluia antiphon; the OT canticle has a proper antiphon for Easter season, the same as for the chanted LOTH (it’s on a one-week cycle);
  3. at the minor hours and Vespers, the entire psalmody can be said under one alleluia antiphon (some abbeys like ours finds that boring so uses a separate alleluia antiphon for each psalm);
  4. at Compline the psalmody has always been “in directum” (no antiphon) in the Monastic tradition but there’s a special paschal tone for reciting the psalmody. Though some monasteries now say the Nunc Dimittis, in which case the alleluia is added to the antiphon “Sava nos”, the monastic tradition omits both the responsory “Into your hands…” (replacing it with a verse/response) and the Nunc Dimittis.

Of course that’s all immaterial anyone reciting the Office, go with the flow with what’s in the LOTH books. Just thought I’d show some of the differences and options for chanted versions of the Liturgy of the Hours.

It is said in addition to, not in place of (cf. GILH).

There is one “exception” and I use scare quotes because it’s not really an antiphon per se, but the Responsory after the short Readings for Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and Night Prayer. The response to the second part is replaced completely by a double Alleluia in Easter e.g.

Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit
– Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
You have redeemed us, Lord God of truth
– I commend by spirit
Glory to the Father…
– Into your hands, Lord I commend my spirit

becomes, in Easter:

Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit, alleluia, alleluia
– Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit, alleluia, alleluia
You have redeemed us, Lord God of truth
– alleluia, alleluia
Glory to the Father…
– Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit, alleluia, alleluia.

Thank you. I appreciate that you took the time to type that up.

-Tim-

Yeah, I got that, but does that song have something to do with your question?

I think of it whenever I see (or write) a long list of unanswerable, rhetorical questions. You bit so I went with it. Sorry if it upset you. :o

-Tim-

No worries!

I do like the simple Alleluia antiphons.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.