Alligator OK to eat on Lenten Fridays, archbishop clarifies

catholicnewsagency.com/news/alligator-ok-to-eat-on-lenten-fridays-archbishop-clarifies/

I’m sorry, but when was alligator ever acceptable to eat?

Yuck.

Fridays just got a little better in Florida and Louisiana. :slight_smile:

I was always taught to try something before turning it down. Like it or not, alligator is accepted as a food down south. There is certainly plenty of it. I’m sure that there are foods that are quite ordinary to American’s in general, but would shock the conscience of someone from say Europe. Be that as it may, glad to see a conscientious Catholic took the time to get the clarification, rather than making assumptions.

Fair enough of course, but

Yuck.

have you ever tried it? Here in the deep south, bayou country alligator is a great food and tastes amazing. There is a restaurant I love to go to and they cook alligator with blackening seasoning it is great.

don’t be so quick to think a food doesn’t taste good, if you haven’t tried it.

Tastes like chicken…seriously.:slight_smile:

Two words: gator jerky. Don’t knock it 'til you try it.

P.S. It tastes like chicken. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ve never had breaded, deep-fried alligator bites with *sauce piquante *before, I’d wager.

Mmmmmm.

you’re making me hungry

LOL!!!

I wonder if that makes snake ok, then, as both are reptiles? Or does living on land make it verboten?

ICXC NIKA

For example: “chicken” nuggets.

I love it so that wouldn’t be penitential for me. However, it isn’t readily available here so I won’t be facing the temptation.:frowning:

I would imagine that snake would be a definite no-go…err…no?

Snake is okay. The question is basically cold-blooded vs warm-blooded. Only warm-blooded animals are considered meat for purposes of abstinence.

For hair-splitting purposes, I wonder how balut would be considered. :smiley:

I was going to say “tastes like frog legs”

Snakes are fair game for the supper table during Lent, at least in the United States…

Q. I understand that all the Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence from meat, but I’m not sure what is classified as meat. Does meat include chicken and dairy products?

A. Abstinence laws consider that meat comes only from animals such as chickens, cows, sheep or pigs — all of which live on land. Birds are also considered meat. Abstinence does not include meat juices and liquid foods made from meat. Thus, such foods as chicken broth, consomme, soups cooked or flavored with meat, meat gravies or sauces, as well as seasonings or condiments made from animal fat are technically not forbidden. However, moral theologians have traditionally taught that we should abstain from all animal-derived products (except foods such as gelatin, butter, cheese and eggs, which do not have any meat taste). Fish are a different category of animal. Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles, (cold-blooded animals) and shellfish are permitted.

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-resources/lent/questions-and-answers-about-lent.cfm

However, considering this is the Year of the Snake, perhaps you might want to invite them to dinner, rather than for dinner :o

I would think balut would count as meat unless you probably remove the chick and eat just the yolk (which is of course, egg).

However, if you do that, you might as well just eat penoy or hard-boiled eggs since the chick is part of the balut experience.

Hmmm. My grocery store just started selling frozen alligator. Is it as good as fresh? I might have to buy some just to see my husband’s face!

Spoken like a true Yankee. :wink:

'gator’s GOOD!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.