Alls you have to do is ask Him for forgiveness and go to church

Is that it?

No that isn’t all.
You mean I would imagine, that you don’t mean just ‘go to church’ but that you participate devoutly and attentively as possible.

I imagine also that you understand that asking forgiveness isn’t sufficient if it is not with the intention and effort to avoid sinning again, and that you will strive to be a good Christian, partaking in the Sacraments.

There is more…Jesus said to love God above all, and to love others as oneself. The second part you didn’t mention.

Jesus, as judge of our souls, when He describes that judgement in Matthew 25 verses 31 to 46, powerfully stresses the importance of practical kindness to others as a necessary part of Christian life, and essential for salvation.

The Final Judgment

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Hmm, First, you need to (somehow) believe that Jesus Christ is God (or, part of God).
A person who believes this is a Christian.

Second, you can humbly ask Jesus to forgive your Sins.
If you are a Catholic, you will Confess your specific sins to a Priest.
But, if you have NOT joined the Catholic Church, you will want to go to RCIA, and get Baptized.

Third, going to a particular building (in itself) is NOT gonna get you into Heaven (my opinion).
Instead, you would go to Church, and while there, get emotionally involved with the Service, and take the Body and the Blood of Jesus Christ. This Communion is a Powerful thing. If you can feel a part of Jesus when you receive Communion, then you are doing REAL Good.

Fourth, try to not commit any more Mortal Sins than you have to.
I mean, don’t murder anyone because they annoy you … and don’t make any Withdrawls from a Bank that you don’t have an Account in.

It’s something like that.

Pax Christi.

The two things you mention are very important, to be sure, but they are just parts of the process.

Conversion is a lifelong process. It starts with being truly sorry, seeking forgiveness (probably in the Sacrament of Confession) and making real changes in your life.

Regular attendance at Mass is part of the changes. But you’ll need to bolster your life with prayer. Talk with our Lord. He wants to hear from you, and He wants you to listen to Him.

Make real changes. Make a real commitment. God will surely welcome you back.

God bless.

Thanks. I just wanted to see the variety of the responses I’d get from posting this statement of a protestant I know.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.