Allusions In NT for Deuterocanonical Books

Thanks for the link.

Quoting about Allusions in the New Testament time period.

“There are close affinities of thought, and in some cases also of language, between I Peter, i, 6, 7, and Wisdom, iii, 5, 6; Hebrews, i, 3, and Wisdom, vii, 26, 27; I Corinthians, x, 9, 10, and Judith, viii, 24-25; I Corinthians, vi, 13, and Ecclesiasticus, xxxvi, 20.”

The first one I see as obvious.
In the ones that follow after it, I don’t see the link.
Did i make a mistake in my quotations below ?

In the DRB the verses for Sirach 36 have a different verse numbers. +2.
Is that an issue with the other quotes ?

1 Peter 1 6 7, and Wisdom 3, 5, 6;

1 Peter 1: 6-7
“ In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, 7 so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Wisdom of Solomon 3:5-6
“Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; 6 like gold in the furnace he tried them, and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them.”

Hebrews 1, 3, and Wisdom 7, 26, 27;

Hebrews 1:3
“He reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of his nature, upholding the universe by his word of power. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high …”

Wisdom of Solomon 7:26-27
“For she is a reflection of eternal light,
a spotless mirror of the working of God,
and an image of his goodness. 27 Though she is but one, she can do all things, and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;
in every generation she passes into holy souls
and makes them friends of God, and prophets”

1 Corinthians 10, 9, 10, and Judith 8, 24-25;

1 Corinthians 10:9-10
“We must not put the Lord to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents; 10 nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer.”

Judith 8:24-25
“Now therefore, brethren, let us set an example to our brethren, for their lives depend upon us, and the sanctuary and the temple and the altar rest upon us. 25 In spite of everything let us give thanks to the Lord our God, who is putting us to the test as he did our forefathers.”

1 Corinthians 6, 13, and Ecclesiasticus, or Sirach 36, 20.

1 Corinthians 6:13
“Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food”—and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is not meant for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.”

Sirach 36:20
“A perverse mind will cause grief,
but a man of experience will pay him back.”
RSVCE

NAB
Sirach 36:18-21
“The throat can swallow any food,
yet some foods are more agreeable than others;
19 As the palate tests meat by its savor,
so does a keen mind insincere words.
20 A deceitful character causes grief,
but an experienced man can turn the tables on him.
21 Though any man may be accepted as a husband,
yet one girl will be more suitable than another:

DRB below :
Sirach 36:20-23
[20] The belly will devour all meat, yet one is better than another.
[21] The palate tasteth venison and the wise heart false speeches.
[22] A perverse heart will cause grief, and a man of experience will resist it. [23] A woman will receive every man: yet one daughter is better than another.

http://www.drbo.org/chapter/26036.htm

Below is a link to many strong Allusions.
https://www.defendingthebride.com/bb/deuterocanonical3.html

John

I use Wisdom 7 for the Immaculate Conception, but it’s possible that I am wrong.

Compare (providence):
a) Hebrews 1:3 - “upholding the universe by his word of power”
b) Wisdom 7:27 - “she can do all things, and while remaining in herself, she renews all things; in every generation she passes into holy souls”

Compare (they were tested):
a) Judith 8:25 “In spite of everything let us give thanks to the Lord our God, who is putting us to the test as he did our forefathers.”
b) 1 Corinthians 10:10 “10 nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer.””

Compare (best food) - Verses are different based upon either the KJV or the Latin Vulgate.
a) Sirach 36:20 - “The belly will devour all meat, yet one is better than another.”
b) 1 Cor 7:13 - “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food,” but God will do away with both the one and the other. The body, however, is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body;”

Defending the bride does have a good set of comparisons, thank you.

I’ll highlight the similarities:

First pair:

1 Peter 1:6-7 - In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, 7 so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Wisdom 3:5-6 - Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good, because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; 6 like gold in the furnace he tried them, and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them.

Second pair:

Hebrews 1:3 - Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Wisdom 7:26-27 - For she is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness. 27 Though she is but one, she can do all things, and while remaining in herself, she renews all things; in every generation she passes into holy souls and makes them friends of God, and prophets.

Third pair:

1 Corinthians 10:9-10 - Neither let us tempt Christ: as some of them tempted, and perished by serpents. 10 Neither do you murmur: as some of them murmured, and were destroyed by the destroyer.

Judith 8:24-25 - But they that did not receive the trials with the fear of the Lord, but uttered their impatience and the reproach of their murmuring against the Lord, 25 were destroyed by the destroyer, and perished by serpents. (Textual variants obscure this one; see the DRB)

Last pair:

1 Corinthians 6:13 - Meat is for the belly, and the belly for the meats; but God shall destroy both it and them: but the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.

Sirach 36:20-23 - The belly will devour all meat, yet one is better than another. 21 The palate tasteth venison and the wise heart false speeches. 22 A perverse heart will cause grief, and a man of experience will resist it. 23 A woman will receive every man: yet one daughter is better than another.

Hope that helps!

Q: Wheres does the Lord or the bible claim that OT books must be quoted in the NT?
A: Neither does. The argument is a man-made, bad faith argument by disobedient 16th century Europeans attempting to justify division in the Body of Christ.

Q: Which Protestant Council declared the seven books to be “apocryphal”?
A: Trick question. Councils are impossible in Protestantism due to lack of authority and lack of unity.

Q: Why did the Catholic Church “add” seven books at Trent?
A: Didn’t. She set the long-existing pre-Christian canon of scripture in stone.

Q: Why at Trent?
A: The Church declared dogma in response to heresy - to end the argument.

Q: Why didn’t this end the argument?
A: You can reason with intellect, but not with the ego.

Today’s OT reading (Wisdom 2:10-20) is, to me at least, the most clear and detailed prophecy of Christ in all of the scriptures. Written perhaps 50 years before the Incarnation. As to the Deuterocanon, here is a good refutation of non-Catholic opinion on the matter: https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/apologetics/5-myths-about-7-books.html

Zechariah 9:9

The Coming Ruler of God’s People
9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Lo, your king comes to you;
triumphant and victorious is he,
humble and riding on an ass,
on a colt the foal of an ass.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.
John

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.