Almsgiving for Lent

Today I went to confession and came back to the Church after being away for some time. I still need to engage in almsgiving for Lent and it appears I have missed the time when my parish collected money for Misereor like they do each year. In the past, I chose a charity and donated money online but this year, I can only do so in cash, which leaves me with little opportunity. Is it okay if I just put the money in the basket on Sunday during collection?

Thanks a lot!

Xandria asks** : “Today I went to confession and came back to the Church after being away for some time. I still need to engage in almsgiving for Lent … this year, I can only do so in cash…
Is it okay if I just put the money in the basket on Sunday during collection?”**

NO . . . the Church Collection basket is not the place for Almsgiving.

1. That money will NOT be given (later) to a Needy person; it’s for the Church’s expenses;
  2. Part of Almsgiving is (supposed to be) seeing the Face of the Person who you “donate” to (to teach you Humility, AND (hopefully) see what the magnitude of your little donation has, in the Life of the person you “Help.”).

There are other reasons too, but you get the Picture … Alms are for the Poor people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.