ALONE the word that makes us all afraid!

Why? I’m mean really… there are worse things then being alone?

The maximum application of alone is separation from the grace of God… even in the presense of others, with no grace of God acting there is no compassion, no fellowship, no love of any sort. In that depraved state, we are literally in hell.

So why is “alone” a scary idea? Because somwhere along the continuem of temporal solitude sitting on the couch on a friday night all the way to the strongest sense, we must face the possibility of our choosing abandonment by God: the possibility of hell.

I think being without God is scary...

I don't think that it's wrong/sinful/horrible to live alone or not be around people all the time

I think this Video is good at explaining reality without God

youtube.com/watch?v=fEpvtkb4Nm0&feature=channel_video_title

Greetings to the OP and those posting or reading this thread,

If I may take the liberty of introducing a twist on the word alone. In the few posts thus far posted, I have seen only the negative connations of the word alone, I wish to focus on the postivie connotations.

Jesus it was said, that he went off alone to spend time with His Heavenly Father. I have found my greatest moments of peace and awareness of the Presence of God, when I am alone with Him, and this can be done when there is no one physically around me, or in the midst of a numerous crowd in a Mass.

Hell is a very frightening reality, but if we choose now to forsake all others, but God, and we seek after Him alone and strive to please Him alone, then by God’s Mercy, Love, and Grace, we will not be alone for all of eternity.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

I agree. Sometimes being personally alone is necessary and beneficial.

Yes, there are worse things, but many people find it very hard to live alone, especially the elderly who have spent their lives doing and living for their families–their children and spouses. Let us not despise people who are lonely and feel rejected by others. Instead, let us befriend them and help them in their lonliness. Complete detachment from others is a very great virtue if it frees us to help others, but if we only detach ourselves so we can have what we want without regard to the needs of others, that is a very bad thing. It’s one thing to be able to be alone with God, and thus free to serve and to simply be a recluse who despises his fellow men. Yes? :wink:

It all depends on the person and the situation. Some people can tolerate being alone (and even enjoy it) better than others although we as a species are regarded as social animals. On the other hand, most of us need to be alone during the course of a busy and hectic day, if only for a few minutes, to reflect, to meditate, to pray, to commune with nature, to sort things out, to find inner peace. Some, however, are afraid of these quiet times and make every effort to keep constantly busy so as not to be forced to confront their own thoughts, feelings, and demons. We also seem to need change on a biological and psychological level: activity followed by rest, excitement and then calm, motion balanced by stillness. Being alone by choice is likely more acceptable to most people than being alone as a result of unfortunate circumstances, such as being home-bound due to illness, disability, or infirmity; or living alone, such as an elderly person whose children have moved away and whose spouse has died. Although elderly people do suffer loneliness, perhaps they also have better coping mechanisms to help them not feel as lonely when they are alone. They may be better able to adapt to their new and unfamiliar surroundings than younger people. Still, the sharp transition from being busy for most of one’s life to being alone can be challenging. Being alone in the sense of being separated from G-d and an interior spiritual life is also a frightening thought for many people and may be difficult to compensate for by sharing activities with friends and family; yet the latter can be a solace. Nonetheless, some people feel alone all the time even when they are surrounded by others and live in a crowded urban environment.

Sometimes being alone is good and beneficial, but lacking intimacy in life can depress people in life. Physical and emotional intimacy can be very important for good mental health, sometimes something as simple as a hug can dispel a dark cloud hanging over someone.

[quote="Dakota_Roberts, post:9, topic:254316"]
Sometimes being alone is good and beneficial, but lacking intimacy in life can depress people in life. Physical and emotional intimacy can be very important for good mental health, sometimes something as simple as a hug can dispel a dark cloud hanging over someone.

[/quote]

Greetings Dakota Roberts,

I liked your post. A smile can go a long way in dispelling a sense of loneliness as well.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

There is a difference between being alone and being lonely.

Being alone can be a choice that we make because we want to think or create or any number of reasons. No one says "I want to be lonely today."

Greetings Irishmom2,

That is very true. Well said.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

[quote="Della, post:7, topic:254316"]
Yes, there are worse things, but many people find it very hard to live alone, especially the elderly who have spent their lives doing and living for their families--their children and spouses. Let us not despise people who are lonely and feel rejected by others. Instead, let us befriend them and help them in their lonliness. Complete detachment from others is a very great virtue if it frees us to help others, but if we only detach ourselves so we can have what we want without regard to the needs of others, that is a very bad thing. It's one thing to be able to be alone with God, and thus free to serve and to simply be a recluse who despises his fellow men. Yes? ;)

[/quote]

Yeah, it's different for self-sufficient people to live alone. It's different when elderly or sick or sick/elderly live alone with no one to care for them.

Circumstances have made me single and without kids at 42. While I think I could get married, I doubt I will have kids. Though I prefer to have kids without the headache and misery of a husband (sorry dudes...blame it on those around me). That said, I've spent the last seven years caring for my mom and it's probably the greatest Blessing that has been bestowed on me. I wouldn't have it any other way. But I often what will become of me when I am older. I literally have no one when she is gone. It's not a particularly troubling thought, because I'm in a very good place in my life right now. It's when I think about becoming older or sick myself one day that I worry a bit....

God said in Genesis 2 "It is not good for the man to be alone".

[quote="Norseman82, post:14, topic:254316"]
God said in Genesis 2 "It is not good for the man to be alone".

[/quote]

Greetings Norseman82,

If I may ask a question in relation to what you have posted. How do you reconcile those who are genuinely called to live the eremitical vocation? They choose to live alone with God in prayer away from the world.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

Do you not see that you can be alone when in company and in company when alone?

St. Bernard C.

[quote="Anathama_Sit, post:15, topic:254316"]
Greetings Norseman82,

If I may ask a question in relation to what you have posted. How do you reconcile those who are genuinely called to live the eremitical vocation? They choose to live alone with God in prayer away from the world.

God bless.
Anathama Sit

[/quote]

In the New Testament, St Paul says it is better not to marry...... (and accordingly, live alone with God, as it would be a sin to live with someone without marriage)

I think this points to the idea that religious life is greater than other vocations, though if someone is called to marriage, that is of course the path to holiness for them, and it would be wrong for them to become a monk, priest, or nun.

Perhaps being alone is not the worst thing, but humans are social and communal beings, and there is an innate need to connect and bond with others, physically and emotionally. Relationships with family and friends are very important, and can serve as a source of strength during difficult times. Now, what I first took “alone” to mean was in relation to romantic relationships. But even romantic relationships can be seen in terms of that need to be understood by, accepted by, and connected to another human being.

When that bond is severed, it can cause deep emotional - and even physical - pain. There’re certainly tragedies that are seemingly more severe than being “alone,” but the state of being alone tends to amplify the associated pain, trepidation, and suffering caused by those tragedies. It can also be a very scary feeling just to come to the realization that you’re alone.

This is why I count my blessings, and thank God for the people in my life.

Regarding “eunuchs for the Kingdom”, Christ said that not everyone could accept that teaching, only those to whom it was given, so let everyone accept it as they can. And although St. Paul did say it was better not to marry in 1 Corinthians 7, in that same chapter he goes on to state that it is better to marry than burn, and that in order to avoid immorality everyone should have their own spouse. Additionally, the CCC in paragraph 1603 states that marriage is the vocation planted in our nature as it comes from the hand of God. What this all adds up to is this: although celibacy is the higher calling, not everyone can handle it. Since marriage is the natural vocation, vocations to things other than marriage require a supernatural call and supernatural graces, which, again, is not given to everybody.

[quote="Monica4316, post:17, topic:254316"]
In the New Testament, St Paul says it is better not to marry...... (and accordingly, live alone with God, as it would be a sin to live with someone without marriage)

I think this points to the idea that religious life is greater than other vocations,** though if someone is called to marriage, that is of course the path to holiness for them, and it would be wrong for them to become a monk, priest, or nun.**

[/quote]

Really? There are some married priests in the Latin Rite aren't there? The deacon in our church is married. At first, it didn't make sense to me since I thought it was a celibate vocation.

Now, I understand it is possible to ordain married wo/men. It's rare but it happens.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.