Alright to say the Gloria privately during lent?

I have recently begun reciting the Gloria privately in my prayer life as an act of praise to God. Is this alright to do during the solemn season of Lent?

Private prayer is just that–private. You can pray any prayers you want no matter what Church season it is. :slight_smile:

It is liturgically incorrect, but there’s not really harm in it and there is certainly no sin.

I think that would only apply in the LOTH. Otherwise, in private prayer, it’s fine. :yup:

The OP was talking about private prayer, not liturgy. Therefore, liturgical correctness does not apply.

Actually, I wasn’t talking about the liturgy. I was talking about what prayers are intended for certain seasons.

Think of how we change the Angelus to the Regina Caeli during Easter season. It is not sinful to keep saying the Angelus instead, nor is there any kind of harm that can come from it, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the incorrect prayer; the prayer for that season is the Regina Caeli.

So, also, we have Marian Hymns for various seasons. Salve Regina is a beautiful piece, but the correct Marian hymn for Lent is Ave Regina Caelorum. It is not sinful to keep singing the Salve Regina instead, nor is there any kind of harm that can come from it, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the incorrect prayer; the prayer for that season is the Ave Regina Caelorum.

So, also, the Gloria, which has a particular context in which it is used, is not intended to be said in Lent (or advent, for that matter). It is not sinful to keep saying the Gloria, nor is there any kind of harm that can come from it, but that doesn’t mean it is not out of context.

It is indeed fine, although it is frowned upon.

Lent is a time of penitential observation. We are to be less ornate and less joyful, so to speak.

Liturgically speaking, definite NO.

Even privately… :tsktsk:

It is certainly no sin though.

I respect your opinion; I hold the opposite opinion. I think it is wonderful to be joyful in our private moments.

I play the piano/organ at Mass every 8 am Sunday. It would be an error for me to lead the Gloria during the Mass during Lent. But when I get home, I play anything I want, and my kids just might join an sing with me. It might be happy, sad, whatever. We like to sing at least a couple Lent songs per day, but not at the exclusion of non-Lent joy.

Alan

It’s private prayer, so no problem. I have also recently begun praying the Gloria in my private prayer life. I love the Gloria, it’s one of my favorite prayers ever, after the Our Father and Hail Mary, of course.

Keep it up!:thumbsup: Praise God as often as possible!

While I respect DeusSalusNostra’s opinion, I will be joyful and praise God by singing the Gloria whenever I want - even during Lent (or Advent) - just not during Mass.

The Marian hymns are tied to Compline and are therefore liturgical. But the Angelus doesn’t have any ties to any liturgy of the Church, so that’s an interesting example.

You could recite the Te Deum instead of the Gloria during Lent if you feel like it’s awkward to recite a prayer devotionally that is suppressed liturgically. (There are, of course, a few days where is Gloria is sung during Lent, so you could say the Gloria on those days.) Just a suggestion.

God has recently begun a springtime in my soul. I have been struggling in chastity for years and with His help am beginning to master it again. With this “block” removed starting to enjoy His presence again in ways I have not in years. I can now work on other blocks in my spiritual life now too and grow in Him. I have, for years now been fighting a depression that has led me to often utter, “I want to go home.”, without really knowing what “home” was. Regaining God’s grace for longer and deeper periods as of late has just as of today to finally say, as if I could feel God the Father place His hand on my shoulder and smiling, “I’m home.” This profound sense of closeness, (And yes, I am well aware of how we should not rely on feelings, but this sense of His love is so palpable I do credit Him with it.) has filled my heart with such joy these days, that even in dissappointments that still come, knowing it is in His will, and I in His Fatherlu care, causes my heart to nearly burst with gratitude, that can barely be contained, bringing quietly to my lips, “Glory to God in the highest!”.

Then, by all means, go with it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.