Als ice bucket challenge

so if you use facebook, I’m sure some of you have heard of it

the main concern is that the als association funds embryonic stem cell research.

I was nominated to do the challenge but am unsure if I should now. I think the alternative was to donate to another charity but still do the cold water pouring

thoughts?

Yes, promote an alternative organization. There are several ethical organizations that take a stand against embryonic stem cell research.

Sorry I can’t find the link, but a statement from ALS Association said that they fund ADULT stem cell research. They are doing embryonic stem cell research that is privately funded by one person and one is welcome to direct that their donation NOT be used for that project, but most of the research is from adult stem cells. I think if more people insist that their money be used for adult stem cell research, the sooner they will find a cure and the sooner ALS and other charities will abandon the embryonic stem research for good.

Thankfully I have not been nominated to do the ice bucket challenge. I say thankfully because for one thing, I will not donate to ALS because of the embryonic stem cell issue. For another, I simply cannot afford to donate to any charities at this time. I am disabled and only on SSI so I am on a very limited budget and can only rarely afford to donate to charity and when I do it’s typically only $5 or $10.

Our Arch-Bishop issued a memo to the priests that if they took part in the challenge the monies had to be donated to organizations that did NOT use embryonic stem cells.

Frankly, I think this ice bucket challenge is stupid and simply an ego trip for people to say look at me I did the challenge and I’m donating to charity.
I have much more respect for those who do not do this and simply quietly and anonymously donate to charity.

I took the challenge today as I was challenged by my grandson whom is not Catholic. I donated to another alternative group Church approved not to be proud but all in good fun for a good cause.

The point of the Ice Bucket Challenge is to remind people to be more charitable. You do NOT have to donate money to ALS. You can take the ice bucket of water and ice over your head instead.

I personally, am willing to pray that a cure is found for ALS. But I refuse to donate money to their cause. I would take the ice water poured over me instead. And if people called me selfish or anything because I didn’t donate money as well, it would be their problem not mine.

But where’s the fun in that? :slight_smile:

Unless maybe you’re *afraid *of getting dunked with ice water…:wink:

You’re totally missing the awareness part of the challenge. Those who give quietly do a good thing. And those that dump a bucket of ice water over their heads and do it in memory or honor of someone diagnosed with ALS or mention ALS also do their part. My friend’s daughter didn’t make a donation but she did the challenge in memory of my mom and a mutual friend of her mom’s and mine. People who she challenged and will see that video, and other videos, will know that real people are touched by this.

I also know that many people are being silly and don’t have a clue why they are dumping ice water over their heads. I have less of a problem with them than I do with those who want to silence those who are raising awareness of this disease.

You are not selfish for not donating money. Many people have just chosen to do both which is wonderful. And your prayers are appreciated. :slight_smile:

I have to wonder if we stop supporting everything out there because of this? Most research today will include embryonic cells. Now some of these can certainly be obtained without the death of an innocent fetus, but most won’t be for sure. This is one reason I could not continue by interest and studies in genetics many years ago.

But what are we to do? I would never deny a person with the illness my support. I can’t control every single thing out there, especially how my donations may be used by any organization. Do I just trust that God will know my intentions are pure and donate anyway?

I have become perplexed in terms of what Christians can actually support, and in how many ways, based on the apparently intertwined nature of everything. If you support March of Dimes you are supporting abortion and stem cell research. If you donate to groups looking for cures of ALS, MS, Lupus and so on, you will eventually be supporting some aspect of research that is directly in opposition to the Church. Embryonic research is in almost everything.

What should we do about these other causes? Should be only support the Church and nothing else at all?

^^ This!

The Ice Bucket Challenge is no different than an AIDS Walk or Breast Cancer Walk. The purpose is to raise awareness and drive others to also donate. I’d wager that the vast majority of those participating are not stroking their own egos.

[ stem cell research.

The ALS Association primarily funds adult%between%](“http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/statement-on-stemcell-research.html”)

As to the OP, here’s the ALSA’s statement from two days ago:

alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/statement-on-stemcell-research.html

The only active research being performed on embryonic stem cells comes from a stem cell line from long ago. Cellular research rarely ever harvests new cells, rather older cells are separated from their parent population, re-plated on a Petri dish, and a new culture is produced. No new aborted babies are involved in this research. I just wish to make this abundantly clear in case anyone was under the impression that further research required more abortions. I nevertheless understand the moral objection to any and all embryonic stem cell research in principle. Be forewarned, however, that embryonic stem cell research is pretty much routine these days. If you are to take a hardline position on it then you’ll likely have to forgo many treatments for various ailments including but not limited to various vaccinations.

How about all the people who did it, recorded it and play the video on Facebook?I know several people who posted them doing the challenge on fb.

If I was challenged I would simply donate to the John Paul II Medical Research Institute instead.

jp2mri.org

catholicnewsagency.com/news/ohio-archdiocese-urges-ice-bucket-funds-for-catholic-center-51661/

I took the ALS challenge with 3 members of our parish. One of the members has a personal family connection. I think the cause is worthy, and I did not mind donating.

For me, I wouldn’t have a problem doing the challenge. But I would only donate to a charity/organization that does not support embryonic stem-cell research (or anything contrary to Catholic teaching if I am aware of it). I have heard of the John Paul II Medical Research Institute (at least I think that’s what it’s called if I remember correctly) which some people who have done the ALS ice bucket challenge have donated to.

Here’s another thought if you’re buying the ice; instead of buying the ice, why not use that many and donate it (whether to ALS or somewhere else)?

I have read that the purpose of the ALS bucket challenge is for others to experience what it’s like to have ALS. But lets pose a question: do we have to experience something before we should act? Do we have to experience something to know whether or not it’s good? For example, do we need to have experienced cancer before trying to help a person with it and to know that is causes suffering?

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.