Altar Call???

The front page of The Michigan Catholic features a story called, “Faith on Fire.” I was hoping the link would be updated, but it isn’t, so I’ll relate the first few paragraphs.

Who says Catholics don’t hold revivals? Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in the souther Monroe County town of Temperance held one last Saturday that drew about 200 people for an afternoon of prayer, preaching, personal testimony, and praise.

“I figured the thing to do was hold a revival, because we have to revive this parish,” said Fr. Dan Nusbaum, who returned to his hometown about a year ago to become pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Fr. Nusbaum, who has spent most of his priestly ministry as a seminary and university professor, said he found the parish to be “still hurting” from some past events.

The article goes on to profile the speakers and the musicians (Mount Carmel’s own church band and the folk band from the First Church of the Nazarene in Temperance) It continues…

The revival conclude with the traditional “altar call,” with Fr. Nusbaum inviting people to come forward and lay their burdens before the Lord.

Am I wrong to be upset about the blurring of the line between Fundamentalist Protestantism and Catholicism?

Page 2 of the TMC has a picture of a priest celebrating “Mass on the Beach” in Malibu. Where are we going now? :frowning:

I always thought that when we Approache Our Lord in Holy Communion we ARE making the “Most Perfect” Altar Call. We ARE profession Our Lord IS present in the Holy Eucharist AND what the Church teaches IS true.

We have the Most Perfect Altar Call.
Then why do Protestants have altar calls when they do not have an altar to begin with?

Bumping for the night group. Whattaya think?

[quote=Detroit Sue]T
"I figured the thing to do was hold a revival, because we have to revive this parish," said Fr. Dan Nusbaum, who returned to his hometown about a year ago to become pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Fr. Nusbaum, who has spent most of his priestly ministry as a seminary and university professor, said he found the parish to be “still hurting” from some past events.

The revival conclude with the traditional “altar call,” with Fr. Nusbaum inviting people to come forward and lay their burdens before the Lord.

:frowning:
[/quote]

Quickly, we need to get this Priest to C&M and see what a Catholic revival is really all about.
Why go Protestant? They do it so much better than we do. AND we have the Eucharist, the Protestants don’t. Why borrow from them when there are great Catholic parishes to look at?
He needs to attend our Corpus Christi with 750 families visiting the four altars. He got 200 people to attend? HA! We’ve got that beat!

I would love to know what the “past events” were that split this parish.
Some DRE is going to see this and start it in another parish, God help them!
If they want a Catholic revival, they need to get back to being Catholic.

I, personally, don’t have a problem with this as long as they don’t administer the service as part of a proper Mass. It looks like it was intended, as the Fr. said, to “revitalize” the faith of the people of the church. I understand that people with the Catholic Church do have different levels of faith, and maybe this will help some of them come to a deeper understand of that faith, granted with proper guidence and direction. Bringing people to holiness is the main goal of the Church. I may be the minority on this opinion, but based on my own Protestant-type experiences, this has led me to a greater understanding of the Catholic faith, and I fully embrace it now.
:thumbsup:

Sue I read the article this morning with mixed reactions. Especially after my daughter told me the message on the voice mail of a church down south. Listing the Mass times the message went onto say join us all no matter of race creed denomination or sexual preference. All the rules seem to change in so many areas down south. Is it because it is primarily the bible belt? But somehow we need to get our Catholics back and educated in the faith. So with that said Baptist revivals have been stealing our Catholics for years. Summer bible camps offered by the Baptists have also collected many children. Sometimes unfortunately we have to fight fire with fire. A bit much but if he brought only one Catholic back home I pray that the Catholics brought home look for the truth in our wonderful faith.

[quote=Detroit Sue]The revival conclude with the traditional “altar call,” with Fr. Nusbaum inviting people to come forward and lay their burdens before the Lord.

Am I wrong to be upset about the blurring of the line between Fundamentalist Protestantism and Catholicism?
[/quote]

Eh, I am not prone to immediately believe the local news got things right, having definitely been in the know enough times to know absolutely that they get it wrong often enough. Perhaps it is the news calling it an altar call, not Fr. Nusbaum.

Part of the reason I am Catholic now is due to a Protestant altar call.:yup: I don’t see anything fundamentally wrong with inviting people to make a commitment or a physical sign or something of what is going on inside. Doing it at mass would be weird (you’ve got communion there). I’d rather see it in a retreat context.

Funny thing. I wrote a letter to the editor at TMC, and got a telephone call from the author of the article. He wanted to know my objections to the Mass that he covered. I told him (Thanks Edwin!) that Communion is the ultimate altar call. Anything other than that conjures up images of Jimmy Swaggart & Oral Roberts. He asked what I was opposed to about the venue being outside. I said it was not in a church - there was a church right there, and they celebrated Mass outside. His retort (yes, it was a retort - he was offended ) was, “So World Youth Day is not an appropriate venue?” I told him that apples would never be oranges, and that this priest was not the Holy Father.

I wonder if the author was even Catholic. If so, his leanings were made PERFECTLY clear. :rolleyes:

THe protestant church I used to go to didnt have a altar. It was a bench sort of thing with cusioned kneelers. They did have a communion table in the center for when they had the “Lord’s Supper”. Im surprized that some protestant churches still call it an altar because that in itself connotates a sacrifice.

I am very distracted by abuses when they happen at Mass. It seems to take my mind off the Mass and onto the abuse! We should not abuse the Mass, I agree.

I’m wondering if it would be OK to do this outside a Mass setting, while keeping it sacred and holy?

Some of us Catholics need this type of emotional setting, yet it makes others uncomfortable.

Is it OK to do a sacred and holy Alter Call in the church, not at Mass, maybe in a prayer service setting?

When I read the Bible, I understand Christ to be quite emotional. Why aren’t Catholics in general emotional and “On fire” about their faith?

[quote=Detroit Sue]The front page of The Michigan Catholic features a story called, “Faith on Fire.” I was hoping the link would be updated, but it isn’t, so I’ll relate the first few paragraphs.

Who says Catholics don’t hold revivals? Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in the souther Monroe County town of Temperance held one last Saturday that drew about 200 people for an afternoon of prayer, preaching, personal testimony, and praise.

“I figured the thing to do was hold a revival, because we have to revive this parish,” said Fr. Dan Nusbaum, who returned to his hometown about a year ago to become pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

The article goes on to profile the speakers and the musicians (Mount Carmel’s own church band and the folk band from the First Church of the Nazarene in Temperance) It continues…

Page 2 of the TMC has a picture of a priest celebrating “Mass on the Beach” in Malibu. Where are we going now? :frowning:
[/quote]

Will somebody please tell Fr. Nussbaum about the “revival” in process at Assumption Grotto in Detroit?

[quote=mercygate]Will somebody please tell Fr. Nussbaum about the “revival” in process at Assumption Grotto in Detroit?
[/quote]

:clapping:

[quote=Andy Pomeroy]I am very distracted by abuses when they happen at Mass. It seems to take my mind off the Mass and onto the abuse! We should not abuse the Mass, I agree.

I’m wondering if it would be OK to do this outside a Mass setting, while keeping it sacred and holy?

Some of us Catholics need this type of emotional setting, yet it makes others uncomfortable.

Is it OK to do a sacred and holy Alter Call in the church, not at Mass, maybe in a prayer service setting?

When I read the Bible, I understand Christ to be quite emotional. Why aren’t Catholics in general emotional and “On fire” about their faith?
[/quote]

Hi Andy… I’m still studying Catholicism, and I’m coming at it from an evangelical (most here would probably call it fundamentalist) perspective. I think the Mass is one of the most emotionally moving and reverent worship experiences I have ever experienced. At the same time, I wonder if there are venues for this type of exuberance outside of the Mass. I have to admit that I don’t want to give up the uplifting modern worship music that I’ve learned over the years at my Protestant church. I would be overjoyed to find such a venue in Catholicism (outside of the Mass, of course).

Dan

Hi I’m a former practicing protestant. After learning about the Eucharist. With much study and prayer, I then knew what I was misding all these years growing up catholic.I FINALLY understood!! Praise God!!

I recently experienced a catholic “alter call at Mass” I was crushed!!! Not the time or the place. Period. The Eucharist is our “alter call”

I’m on fire for God!! His Mom and the saints we learn from who are my role models.

Fullness of the faith are in the sacraments. I live all my brothers and sisters of all walks of life. Mother Teresa is great example. Eucharist daily is the alter call and sharing it woth the world in LOVE is sharing that call♥

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.