ALTAR GIRLS POLL---what do you think of them???

I want to get an idea about what y’all think of 'em… :slight_smile:

I think they are interferring with the possible vocations of young men. Since they will never be able to be a priest. My sons did not serve much if the girls ran in first. They were distracting to the boys, and the Holy Father said they could be acolytes only!:hmmm: The girls in our parish do it all. Teach them to clean the church wash and iron the linens for the church. There is always need of this.

Girls should be allowed to alter serve…

…in all the parishes I know of status as acolate/ cross bearer/ master server(holds the book for the priest) depends on age and not gender. Only confirmed could be a master server, only those preparing for confirmation (two year process) could be cross bearers.

Alot of the girls are more respectful then boys. Its also silly to argue in the case of vocation increse becasue in a big parish a boy or girl might serve once a month. With increslingly short Masses I do not believe this is a significant ammout of time to change any vocation inclined behavior.

This is the 2nd Sunday in a row that the Mass I attended had NO altar boys–4 girls at each one. :frowning:

I know it shouldn’t matter, but I’d really prefer all male on the altar–servers, lectors, EMs (Precious Body only!), etc.

Although female cantors are nice. :slight_smile:

At 46 I guess I’m an old fogey! (although I’ve felt this way for awhile)

Debbie

Does it matter what people think? Rome approved the use of girls as servers, end of story, right?

Y2daddy, Rome approved altar girls but said that they should only be used when no males are available to serve at the altar, also Rome did not in any way, shape or form, mandate altar girls.

My opinion on altar girls is that allowing them can be considered one of the biggest mistakes of Pope JPII papacy. Maybe in a few years as young priests become pasrish pastors this horrible trend can start to possibly reverse itself.

[quote=JNB]Y2daddy, Rome approved altar girls but said that they should only be used when no males are available to serve at the altar, also Rome did not in any way, shape or form, mandate altar girls. QUOTE]

Rome definitely didn’t mandate altar girls but also just as definitely didn’t say they should only be used when males aren’t available.

From RS
It is altogether laudable to maintain the noble custom by which boys or youths, customarily termed servers, provide service of the altar after the manner of acolytes, and receive catechesis regarding their function in accordance with their power of comprehension.[119] Nor should it be forgotten that a great number of sacred ministers over the course of the centuries have come from among boys such as these.[120] Associations for them, including also the participation and assistance of their parents, should be established or promoted, and in such a way greater pastoral care will be provided for the ministers. Whenever such associations are international in nature, it pertains to the competence of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments to establish them or to approve and revise their statutes.[121] Girls or women may also be admitted to this service of the altar, at the discretion of the diocesan Bishop and in observance of the established norms
[/quote]

[quote=Meggie]Girls should be allowed to alter serve…

…in all the parishes I know of status as acolate/ cross bearer/ master server(holds the book for the priest) depends on age and not gender. Only confirmed could be a master server, only those preparing for confirmation (two year process) could be cross bearers.

Alot of the girls are more respectful then boys. Its also silly to argue in the case of vocation increse becasue in a big parish a boy or girl might serve once a month. With increslingly short Masses I do not believe this is a significant ammout of time to change any vocation inclined behavior.
[/quote]

Thank God that she didn’t write altar servers but alter servers. If it was altar servers[read:altar boys} well we’d have a sacrilege on our hands!!!

response to second paragraph:
Completely a personal opinion. An hour a week of serving or even once a month doesn’t change the vocation? So if a couple doesn’t date before the marriage,how will they know if they are supposted to receive the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony and that the person they are marrying is theperson they should marry? Same with Holy Orders. If a boy can’t meet his Love[a.k.a Jesus Christ} how will he be able to serve Him? To live for Him…

Anyways it is a Tradition[big T] to allow only men inside the sanctuary. Only men are allowed to go behind the altar rail/ ikonastas. It is, it has been,and it shall be forever and ever. Just because now it is a modern fad that doesn’t mean its right. Heck, even feminists whoattack the Church love thisand say this is a step towards woman’s ordination… Pope John Paul II has said no to this but if we get a Pope Kasper[God forbid] this might happen.

The Church says its fine, and up to the Diocese…that makes it okay with me… maybe it will inspire future nuns…people gotta over this mentality that it would ONLY inspire girls to be disobedient into wanting to be Priests… :rolleyes:

The Church need Nuns as well as Priests… I’m happy just to see young people doing anything at all in Church…makes me truly regret my wasted youth.

what is so awful about allowing women into the sanctuary? Will we “defile” it somehow? I can see only letting ordained priests in the sanctuary - but to allow unordained lay men but not lay women is just plain wrong, and very much contrary to the way Jesus treated women.

And it’s not a big-T tradition either, because it did change. It’s a matter of discipline, little-t tradition. The Pope doesn’t have the authority to change big T traditions. He did change this one, thus it was never a big-T to begin with.

[quote=Minerva]what is so awful about allowing women into the sanctuary? Will we “defile” it somehow? I can see only letting ordained priests in the sanctuary - but to allow unordained lay men but not lay women is just plain wrong, and very much contrary to the way Jesus treated women.

And it’s not a big-T tradition either, because it did change. It’s a matter of discipline, little-t tradition. The Pope doesn’t have the authority to change big T traditions. He did change this one, thus it was never a big-T to begin with.
[/quote]

Its IS a big “T” Tradition for only men and boys in the sanctuary (or presbyterium). This has been maintained by both East and West for 2000 years.

What 2000 year traditions maintained between both East and West aren’t apostolic and big T 'Traditions???

Inaestimable Donum, Altae Sunt, among others state clearly that females in teh santuary is an abuse. It is an ‘evil’ practice.

it hasn’t been maintained by the West - women ARE allowed in the sanctuary. And why is it so “evil” in the first place? What is the rationale for it? Like I said, if only ordained priests were allowed in the sanctuary but no lay people, male or female, that would make sense. But why are lay men but not lay women allowed?

[quote=Minerva]it hasn’t been maintained by the West - women ARE allowed in the sanctuary. And why is it so “evil” in the first place? What is the rationale for it? Like I said, if only ordained priests were allowed in the sanctuary but no lay people, male or female, that would make sense. But why are lay men but not lay women allowed?
[/quote]

An abuse is a breach of Tradition. By the way if you actually ever did research you would find out that no priest can have this abuse forced upon them.

Its ‘evil’ because it is absent of good. There is no ‘good’ in this abuse. Pope Boniface refered to the ‘evil practice of women serving the altar’ and condemned it as a breach of Holy Tradition.

I’ll stand with all the Popes and Patriarch’s that for 2000 years has condemned such abuse.

Today there was one mass in our parish that had no altar servers or readers. Gender does not matter. What matters is that we have those who care enough about their faith to volunteer to help. Many men stay away from mass. The boys see this and think it is the macho thing to do. The Dads that do this will have to explain it to our Lord.

God bless all those who read and serve at the altar!
Deacon Tony SFO

agemmenom,

you still haven’t answered my question. Why is it evil in the first place? Because it’s a tradition? Well why is it a tradition then? What’s the rationale behind it?

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Today there was one mass in our parish that had no altar servers or readers. Gender does not matter. What matters is that we have those who care enough about their faith to volunteer to help. Many men stay away from mass. The boys see this and think it is the macho thing to do. The Dads that do this will have to explain it to our Lord.

God bless all those who read and serve at the altar!
Deacon Tony SFO
[/quote]

Hey Deac.
maybe the boys are staying away because the mass has been ‘feminized’ by the abuse of ‘girls’ in the sanctuary.

You created the problem by permitting this abuse and now justify continuing it because the obvious result of the conditions you setup have come true.

Talk about insanity. I have a right to Mass wihtout this non-catholic ideology thrust upon us (inestaemable donum). If this thought process you have is what is prevelent in America, than the Church here is doomed.

[quote=Agomemnon] I have a right to Mass wihtout this non-catholic ideology thrust upon us (inestaemable donum). If this thought process you have is what is prevelent in America, than the Church here is doomed.
[/quote]

And I have a right to Mass that follows all the current norms which specifically allows girl altar servers at this time.

Kris

The practice of using altar girls began in acts of disobedience to Rome. Inaestimabile Donum had forbidden them.
But feminists decided to put little girls up to pave the way for priestesses.
Who would deny a little girl the right to serve?
Sure enough, the Vatican permitted them ~ where they are needed due to a lack of male servers. (And with the bishop’s consent.)
But, the Vatican also stated emphatically that the subject was closed forever on women’s ordination.
The feminists won the battle, but lost the war.

Pax Christi. <><

PS (As a Mom, I’ve encouraged my sons to serve. My daughters are not needed at the altar. I can see where the closeness they have enjoyed with the priests who’ve instructed them, practiced with them, and at whose Masses they’ve celebrated have had a profound impact on them. I still pray that one day, one or more of them will become a holy priest.)

The church is sexist…one of my biggest problems with it. Why shouldnt girls be allowed? They are no less qualified than the guys.

:rolleyes: God is sexist. Why can’t men be mothers?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.