Altar servers and wooden crosses

Hello,
I don’t know if it’s just me but I think people often take wooden cross as the symbol of altar servers. Is there any special reasons behind it?

Thank you,

No. There are no special reasons.

The only reason I can think of is that that’s what’s depicted in religious articles catalogs. :smiley:

I’ve often wondered if the ‘new’ tradition of the alb and wooden cross doesn’t originate with a singing group from France that has been touring the world since the 30s. “The Little Singers of Paris” have always been dressed in albs and wooden crosses, in fact their French name is “Les Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois” (Little Singers of the Wooden Cross). Of course their albs are much nicer than the nightgown-looking ones altar servers usually wear. I can remember references to this singing group when the parish I grew up in gave up their cassocks and surplices and went to albs and wooden crosses.

In my present parish the wooden cross is presented to altar servers at the end of their training period.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.