Altar Serving the Novus Ordo

In altar serving for a solemn Novus Ordo (or even the Tridentine Mass), can a server wear a fascha? How about a biretta?

Thanks, I was just really curious because I could have sworn that I read somewhere that a server could wear either/both of the above items.

May God bless!!

A lay server may never wear the biretta or fascia.

If the server is a seminarian or up, he may wear the biretta.

If the server is a priest with canonical jurisdiction (i.e., a pastor or rector) or a bishop, he may wear the fascia.

This applies to both forms of the Roman Rite.

[quote="JGMendes4049, post:2, topic:293379"]
A lay server may never wear the biretta or fascia.

If the server is a seminarian or up, he may wear the biretta.

If the server is a priest with canonical jurisdiction (i.e., a pastor or rector) or a bishop, he may wear the fascia.

This applies to both forms of the Roman Rite.

[/quote]

This is mostly correct, but I would like to point out that any priest, regardless of whether he has parochial jurisdiction or otherwise, may wear a fascia.

But as JGMendes says, as for the OP's question, no, a lay, non seminarian server may not wear a fascia or biretta.

Thanks I appreciate the responses!

In a traditional seminary such as the F.S.S.P seminary of Our Lady of Guadalupe, do their seminarians wear birettas in choir?

[quote="iProfess, post:4, topic:293379"]
Thanks I appreciate the responses!

In a traditional seminary such as the F.S.S.P seminary of Our Lady of Guadalupe, do their seminarians wear birettas in choir?

[/quote]

I do not believe the Seminarians at OLGS wear birettas in choir dress, but as I recall they do dress in Cassock and Surplice.

I might also add that in my time serving at the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Sacrifice of the Altar that I have never worn a fascia or a biretta, but I have worn a black shoulder cape, most commonly called a mozzetta I had the option of buttoning it or leaving it unbottoned, of which I chose the former. I think it was a nice touch.

I think it should also be said that servers wearing colors other than black should be done seldomly. Red, purple, and white (yes, there are white server cassocks) should not be worn. I can't remember which of my books says that. Though, I suppose it can be acceptable since in Rome, since their servers wear paonazza.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:3, topic:293379"]
This is mostly correct, but I would like to point out that any priest, regardless of whether he has parochial jurisdiction or otherwise, may wear a fascia.

But as JGMendes says, as for the OP's question, no, a lay, non seminarian server may not wear a fascia or biretta.

[/quote]

The FSSP seminarians who receive tonsure are permitted to wear the fascia.

I have also seen diocesan seminarians wearing the fascia.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.