Does your bishop have the authority to alter the TLM?

PEACE

No takers?

peace

2 Timothy 3:5 habentes speciem quidem pietatis, virtutem autem eius abnegantes. Et hos devita:

peace

ἔχοντες μόρφωσιν εὐσεβείας τὴν δὲ δύναμιν αὐτῆς ] ἠρνημένοι καὶ τούτους ἀποτρέπου

ειρήνη

The Council of Trent speaks about this. The answer is no. We have bishops that have altered the NO, however.

I agree with T More. With the OF Mass he can alter the postures to some extent. But not the words. I would hope that no Bishop would even begin to mess with the TLM. Not sure what the reactions would be.

When, in time, did the unalterable form form?

peace

They would, and traditionally did (this is how organic development of the liturgy and the flourishing of local uses and traditions proceeded across the centuries), but since at least 1570 the Holy See has reserved almost all of that power to itself, which is the prerogative of the pope as the supreme authority in the Church.

[quote="hazcompat, post:1, topic:288946"]
Does your bishop have the authority to alter the TLM?

PEACE

[/quote]

According to Quo Primum of St. Pius V, he'll incur the wrath of God if he does. Only the Holy Father is not bound by this Apostolic Constitution. The only changes that can happen are changes approved at the Papal level, though 'changes' in this regard has never meant removal or revamp but minute additions and/or micro-changes to existing prayers. This does not apply to the modern OF.

The 1962 liturgical books can't be changed.

Otherwise they would no longer be the 1962 liturgical books. :)

is there a good source for the 1570 missal?

peace

Try this. It was set up by a former member of CAF.

thank you. i was surfing for hours. exactly what i needed.

peace

Certainly not your Bishop.

However, the form of the Mass comes under disciplinary law and is not a doctrine so it can be changed. The only things in a Mass that cannot be changed are the words of consecration and the priest receiving Communion. Everything else could be changed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.