Alternate verse of "Praise to the Lord" heretical?

In the hymn “Praise to the Lord” by Joachim Neander, an alternate verse was added recently that is placed in the J.S. Paluch WLP missalettes. It reads:

Praise to the Lord, let us offer our gifts at the altar.
Let not our sins and offenses now cause us to falter.
Christ, the High Priest, Bids us all join in his feast,
Victims with him on the altar.

My beef is with the last line. It is NOT us who become sacramentally present in the Eucharist. This seems like heretical theology to me.

There is an ancient Irish expression, “Put it on the Paten”. Which means to mentally put your sorrows, losses, worries etc on the Paten with the bread at the Offertory. Join all your small sacrifices of the day or week to Jesus’ sacrifice at the mass. This would seem to echo that practice.

Somewhere Saint Paul notes that we make up what is lacking in the sufferings of Christ. Not that He couldn’t do it all, but He asks us to join in His sufferings. He allows us a part in the effort.

We do offer ourselves on the altar - as the Eucharistic prayer says ‘may He make US an everlasting gift (offering) to You …’

Not to say that our sacrifice is the same as Christ’s, but we do join ours to His.

[Gal 2:20](“http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=48&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=20”) I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

I’m fully aware of uniting ourselves with the suffering of Christ. But, this verse seems to follow the current of thinking that we ourselves are the true sacrifice – like how some were taught to respond to the “Body of Christ” when receiving the Eucharist with “I am”. This trend by some in recent years of reorienting the Liturgy away from God and making it “me” centered.

I see what you are saying, and that it is unclear. I have a general problem anytime some new composer comes along and wants to monkey with a classic hymn. To me it is a sign of a composer who lacks the talent to write his own stuff and wants a free ride on a the coat tails of a real musician who is no longer alive do defend against such actions.

Keep the classics classic.

Praise to the Lord,
the Almighty, the King of creation.
O my soul, praise him,
for he is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear,
now to his temple draw near;
join me in glad adoration!

Praise to the Lord,
who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
surely his goodness
and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew
what the Almighty can do,
who with his love doth befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord!
O let all that is in me adore him!
All that hath life and breath,
come now with praises before him!
Let the amen sound from his people again;
gladly forever adore him.

I found this in an old mass book for the installation of Humberto Medeiros as Second Bishop of Brownsville, Texas (June 29, 1966)…pardon if my typos if any:

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him for He is our health and salvation.
All you who hear now to His presence draw near;
Join in profound adoration.

Praise to the Lord, let us offer our gifts at the altar.
Let not our sins and offenses now cause us to falter.
Christ, the High Priest, bids us all join in his feast.
Victims with Him on the altar.

Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in us adore Him.
All that has life and breath come now rejoicing before Him.
Let the Amen sound from His people again.
As we here worship before Him.

I think that there was a Catholic version and a Protestant version. The traditional Catholic version has that stanza in it. I think it reflects the “put it on the paten” belief and not the new-age incorrect theology that JMJ claims.

Also note how the wording reflects the theology of the Real Presence (“to His Presence draw near/Join in profound adoration.” “All that has life and breath come now rejoicing before Him.” “As we here worship before Him.”)

I think pnewton quotes the Protestant version.

We have the J.S. Paluch/WLP missalettes at our parish also. I think the version in there is an attempt to reconcile both versions.

I looked in my 1966 St. Joseph’s missal and the verse is not there. But the translation of the words in the first verse is different from what we used to sing in Catholic school back in the 1960s. I do believe I remember the verse in question from back then.

As PacoG has pointe out… even if this is a verse added at a later date it has been around for over 40 years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.