Alternative form Holy Mass? is it in the Liturgy?

My Dear friends,

The Catholic Church in Sri Lanka is going through an unknown phenomenon, the Mass here is celebrated in Sinhala (Native language) and in English, recently Charismatic movements such as “Kithu Dana Pubuduwa” together with several religious Priests have been pressing for a new dimensions in the church which includes changes to Holy Mass.

I have heard that they are now conducting in a alternate form of the Holy Mass in some Catholic Churches. Instead of saying “In the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit” they sing contemporary worship music and the rest of the mass is also like this, where everything is said in contemporary worship music. They also refuse to use the churches Public Address sound systems and use huge and mega-sized speakers and sub-woofers. I am yet to confirm whether or not they clap and dance during the service given that “Kithu Dana Pubuduwa” is notorious and are the founders of that concept.

They also state that these have been allowed through the Vatican II reformations. The musical group seems to be the main person more than the Priest or the Mass.

I’m compelled to ask, is such alternate form OK? Is it in the liturgy?

Thank you and May God Bless you,
Chirantha R. Anthony Amerasinghe.

It sounds dodgy to me. This is quite commonplace in India too, especially among the Charismatic groups.

On the other hand, to play devil’s advocate, I’ve heard that the Neo-Catechumenal Way - which is Catholic - has obtained permission from the Vatican to conduct its own liturgy in a rather different way. Is this movement part of the NC? If so, then it might just be OK.

There is a lot of latitude in how the parts of the mass are said, whether they are simply spoken, or chanted, or set to music of whatever type. If the actual words are being omitted, that could be an issue.

[quote=chirantha7777]They also refuse to use the churches Public Address sound systems and use huge and mega-sized speakers and sub-woofers
[/quote]

The use of electronic systems to amplify voice and music is approved by the Church. The specifics of exactly what systems are used is something the pastor could regulate if he chose.

[quote=chirantha777]I am yet to confirm whether or not they clap and dance during the service given that “Kithu Dana Pubuduwa” is notorious and are the founders of that concept.

[/quote]

The Church has been pretty clear that dancing in Latin rite liturgies in Western cultures is not appropriate, but at the same time has been a bit more permissive for certain non-Western cultures. Clapping is something about which many, including Pope Emeritus Benedict, have had negative things to say. But there is no explicit prohibition, and in the vast majority of churches I have been in there has been applause for anniversaries, ordinations, weddings, baptisms, even homilies. So this is probably a matter for the bishop to regulate, which most don’t.

There is nothing wrong in singing the prayers, in theory that is that way it should be done. However, the specific choice of music could be inappropriate and distracting.

The choice of speakers over the PA is completely unimportant, they are just two different sets of electronics.

If I were in your position I would probably talk to a priest aking to be educated on the purpose of the changes. That would give you the freedom of expressing your concerns without putting the priest on the defensive.

If the bishop is okay with it, that’s your answer. Many cultures are now represented in most dioceses.

Isn’t Cardinal Ranjith the Archbishop of Colombo? And isn’t Colombo the Metropolitan See of Sri Lanka?

From a CNA article:

Vatican approval for Neocatechumenal Way only applies to non-liturgical teachings

The Vatican’s approval of the Neocatechumenal Way’s forms of “celebration” only applies to non-liturgical prayers within their catechesis and not to the Mass or other liturgies of the Church.

“With respect to the celebrations of the Holy Mass and the other liturgies of the Church,” communities of the Neocatechumenal Way must “follow the norms of the Church as indicated in the liturgical books – to do otherwise must be understood to be a liturgical abuse,” a Vatican official who requested anonymity told CNA on Jan. 21. … More]

Thanks. :thumbsup: Someone ought to tell our local chapter that. I might just do it. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.