Alternatives to "The Pill" for Ovarian Cysts?

In my experience, doctors often recommend birth control pills to control/prevent ovarian cysts (as well as many other female problems). Is there any information out there on non-contraceptive ways to deal with this problem, for those of us who wish to follow the Church’s teachings on contraception? I’ve heard of organizations like the Pope Pius XI institute, but I don’t know what kinds of conclusions their research has led them to, or who else may have info on this. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Rose,

Get yourself a copy of the book Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. It can be ordered through CCLI (www.ccli.org) or on Amazon.

Mrs. Shannon uses only natural, preventative methods to help control all sorts of cycle-related issues. Most of her advice revolves around a balanced diet and proper nutritional supplements. I have found this book to be invaluable, and I have no fertility issues that I know of. It is just a very good book. She does an entired section on ovarian cysts.

[quote=kristacecilia]Rose,

Get yourself a copy of the book Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. It can be ordered through CCLI (www.ccli.org) or on Amazon.

Mrs. Shannon uses only natural, preventative methods to help control all sorts of cycle-related issues. Most of her advice revolves around a balanced diet and proper nutritional supplements. I have found this book to be invaluable, and I have no fertility issues that I know of. It is just a very good book. She does an entired section on ovarian cysts.
[/quote]

ditto, this is a great book! every woman should read it!

Metformin, the generic form of brand-name Glucophage is often prescribed to shrink ovarian cysts as a result of PCOS. It usually is prescribed to diabetics for insulin resistance (which PCOS patients usually have, too) but has the dual effect of shrinking cysts AND inducing ovulation. For many, it’s a wonder drug and for others it has minimal effect. It may take awhile to truly show some effect.

If you have been diagnosed with PCOS, I recommend you go to an endocrinologist or a Catholic OB/GYN–or both. You probably need a full hormonal workup to see if everything is working properly. You can find a Catholic OB/GYN at www.omsoul.com.

I haven’t actually been diagnosed w/ PCOS. As far as I can tell, I just develop them when I ovulate, but they often get large enough that I can feel them. Right now I’m just interested in keeping them smaller, so I don’t experience monthly discomfort, and hopefully so they don’t rupture, which has already happened once. Not fun.

I second the book Fertility Cycles and Nutrition.

Also, the Pope Paul VI institute has done a lot of research in female fertility using NaPro Technology. You should contact them. The website is www.popepaulvi.com. Also, Dr Hilgers has written a book available through www.omsoul.com on NaPro Technology.

I wish I didn’t have such a recent experience with this but on Sunday I went to the emergency room with an ovarian cyst. I am a patient of Dr. Hilgers of the Pope Paul VI institute and I can tell you what he does for them. I received 3 shots of natural progesterone, which has “calmed” the cyst down. My cyst is an unruptured hemmoraghic follicle. He also had the cyst reviewed several times on ultrasound.

To prevent these types of cysts, he monitors your cycles using his method of charting, the Creighton NFP model, and checks hormone levels to make sure everything is functioning. My type of cyst really couldn’t have been prevented but was quickly identified and treated.

This is a great topic, and I asked my priest about this very question. I too have PCOS. Unfortunately, my husband and I cannot have children due to issues that he has as well. (Believe me, if we could have children biologically, we would be doing whatever we could to have them.) Anyways, I was told as long as I am not taking the medicine to stop from becoming pregnant but to help a medical condition it was ok. However, if my condition ever changed to where I could conceive, then I would have to come off of the Pill. In the meantime since we could not have children biologically, my husband and I have 2 girls from adoption. I am seriously thinking about not being on the pill though because I do not like the emotional mood swings that it causes.

(I am also on metaformin, the pill and spirolaldactone for my condition as it is pretty bad. I have to take 2000mg of metaformin everyday for my condition.)

In addition to aid from Pope Pius VI institute and other herbal/alternative remedies, feel confident to know that the use of artificial birth control as a method of treating disease is permissible. The important thing is not that the medicine is being used, but the intent, which is the true issue. You would not be using BCP for the purpose of contraception, but for the treatment of disease.

As answered by Judie Brown from EWTN: ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum10&recnu=22&number=455392

[quote=chemphill]…The important thing is not that the medicine is being used, but the intent, which is the true issue. You would not be using BCP for the purpose of contraception, but for the treatment of disease.

As answered by Judie Brown from EWTN: ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?Pgnu=1&Pg=Forum10&recnu=22&number=455392
[/quote]

Thanks. :slight_smile: However, I don’t believe I can use them in good conscience until I have determined whether or not there are any non-contraceptive alternatives, especially because ovarian cysts are sometimes associated with other health problems, and if that is the case with me, I’d rather resolve whatever the other problem might be, first and if needed kill two birds with one stone. Also, the potential side effects and health risks of taking birth control pills do not appeal to me, especially since a close relative of mine was taking them for another female health problem, and the side effects made her feel worse than she felt without them.

Nope. I think pill doesn’t for ovarian cysts cure.

This reply is an opinion.

This thread is over five years old.

this thread is ancient
for more up to date info check out Judie Brown’s answers on the ewtn.com site under faith/Catholic Q&A and search under her name for your question, search the various terms, pill, ABC, PCOD, PCOS, ovarian cyst etc.
she has links to answers from a well known pro-life gyn giving the good Catholic and medical pov on these questions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.