Although I am not Catholic, I agree with them on

Hi I am apostolic pentecostal but there are a few things I agree with Catholics on…

First salvation is a process, not a one time event and no one is completely saved until they reach heaven.

Second Jesus is both God and man, he is both Divine and human and both natures exist with the one person, Christ our Lord.

Third Baptism is part of the New Birth and it is that which puts us into Christ through the Holy Spirit, it is for the remission of sins.

Fourth God is the Father, SOn, and Holy Spirit all three are one and there is no other God but He (yet I am oneness).

Fifth Mary is blessed among all women and should be honored, not worshipped for being the bearer of the Christ.

Wonderful! All you need now is transubstantiation and the Papacy and you’d be just about Catholic :wink:

At least there is a foundation by which I can relate to Catholicism… is there one on whom you can relate to Pentecostalism?

There is a large charismatic movement within the Catholic Church. But, more importantly, the Church teaches we receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit at our confirmation. This can manifest itself in several ways, in the various ways we serve God and others within the Body of Christ.

There ya go. :thumbsup: We’re not all that bad after all. :smiley:

Would you mind elaborating on the apostolic pentacostal church? That is a new one, at least to me. What is meant by apostolic? That you have been sent forth? Or that you are a successor of the apostles?

Yes I know there are about 70 million charismatic catholics. I’m glad that there are Catholics who have experienced the same outpouring of the Spirit as they did on the day of Pentecost. Thats what Pentecostalism is about, receiving the outpouring of the Spirit in the same manner as the apostles did. I’m not going to argue that you do not have a work of the Spirit in your life, but still believe that everyone is promised and can receive the Holy Spirit and speak with tongues as per the prophet Joel and the apostle Peter.

neither are the pentecostal believers :slight_smile:

We certainly relate on our Love for God and His Son.
We also agree on the Bible being the word of God.
As said earlier there is a large charismatic movement within the church which illustrates how broad and inclusive the Church is.

It’s obvious that you haven’t bought into a lot of the anti-catholic rhetoric spouted by some non-catholics.

May I ask what your background is? Were you raised Pentacostal?

Peace
James

Welcome to CAF! I think you’ll find that there is a LOT more Truth that the Catholic Church teaches that you believe than just those things you listed. What about the New Testament? Do you believe the 27 books in it are inspired Scripture? Thank the Catholic Church for hearing the Holy Spirit’s voice when the NT was canonized! In fact, the doctrines that most non-Catholic Christians all agree on (they like to call them “essentials”) also agree with Catholicism. :thumbsup:

I went through a period of several years where I studied the gift of tongues earnestly. In Acts 2: When the Apostles received the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, they were able to speak in such a way that many people from many different places understood the apostles to be speaking in their own native language. They only spoke the words one time, but were *heard *in many different languages at the same time. Is this what happens in your church? Do you often have visitors from other countries who don’t speak English, and they hear you speaking in their native language?

Speaking in tongues (a language you don’t know but someone else does) is only one of many manifestations of the Spirit. Neither Peter nor Joel promised that all would have this particular gift.

Sure there is. I am what they call a Charismatic Catholic. I once belonged to an Assemblies of God youth group. As a young adult I completely lost all faith in God. Somehow the Lord reached me again through the Catholic Church a few years ago.

Welcome!

Interestingly enough I heard a statistic the other day from a Catholic deacon (previously a Pentacostal pastor) that as many as one third of the Americans that identify themselve as being charismatic in spirtuality are Catholic. Sadly, I do not know his source.

Absolutely, the canon indeed is a big agreement with me. I’m glad that the men who prayerfully compiled the canon were led of the Holy Spirit. God can lead people by His Spirit, no matter what Christian denomination they are. All he needs is a willing vessel and an open heart to things beside what He/she has been taught or viewed with his/her own eyes.

This has happened, more so in other countries than here, but in the US also.

Actually Acts 2 is not the only record of tongues and this seems to be only one aspect of speaking with tongues… Both in Acts 10 and in Acts 19 people spoke with tongues as they were filled with the Holy Spirit for the first time.

Actually Peter identified what happened on the day of Pentecost as the fulfilling of Joel’s prophecy in Joel 2:28.

Again Peter reiterated in Acts 2:17 that God would pour out his Spirit upon ALL flesh, and they would prophesy. Peter identified this speaking with tongues as the fulfillment of Joel’s prophecy and the fact that it was to be poured out upon all flesh.

Jesus also metaphorically spoke of this in John 3:8… and we see this happened in Acts 2:1-4. The alliteration of wind, sound, and fire are interesting in this matter.

Actually James I spent the first ten to twelve years of my life raised as a southern Baptist, although the family was not faithful after I was 8 or 9.

My encounter with the Holy Ghost happened at the age of 14 and thats when my conversion to Pentecost occurred when I obeyed Acts 2:38.

I’m just curious here. I don’t know much about the Pentacostal(s). When you say you obeyed Acts 2:38 is that just a way of saying you were baptized? Or are you refering more to the receiving of the gift of the Holy Spirit?

Also, do you equate the gift of the spirit as only manifesting itself in tongues?

Peace
James

I know someone who is a first-generation American, her parents immigrated from Germany. She only learned English at home. At age 5 they went to Germany for a visit. She has vivid recollections of her German-speaking grandmother telling her about Jesus! Moreover, her grandmother told her mother that she (the 5 year old who only knew English) was speaking German to her whenever no one else was in the room! That, my friend, is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Where does Scripture say that the “tongues” in Acts 10 and 19 are a different manifestation than those in Acts 2?

Joel 2:28-29 *28And it shall come to pass after this, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy: your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions.

29Moreover upon my servants and handmaids in those days I will pour forth my spirit.*

Does prophesy=tongues?

Were you baptized in the Name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit as Jesus commanded at His ascension; or were you baptized in the name of Jesus only?

100% right! Catholics worship only the Eternal Triune God. All else is a devotion. Big difference. So, why aren’t you eating the Body of Christ and drinking His saving Blood? :slight_smile:

Christ’s peace be always with you.

What you are supporting, and quite rightly too, is the concept of charisms within Christ’s Church. There are many charisms that all draw their strength from the Holy Spirit and their support from Scripture. Paul talks about it when he says we all have part in the Body of Christ. Some to be teachers, some to be apostles (sent ones–missionaries), some to preach, etc. All such charisms, tongues included, are of the Holy Spirit and are to be used for the good of God’s Church and the wider world. Yes?

You see, the Catholic Church embraces all these things. They have been there from the beginning and will last until Christ returns. The Church holds all Christ taught her and gave her as his steward.

What you are doing (although I don’t think you are aware of it) is taking a very small part of what is available to us in Christ’s Church and using it to split from it. That is unnecessary. Charismatic gifts/Pentecostalism has its place, but it is not the sum total of our faith, nor is it the center of our faith. Christ is our all in all. I’m sure you agree. Unity with God is our goal, not gaining gifts or consolations however great or nice they might be.

Yes! There are many fabulous Saints whose lives and gifts show this to be true indeed. Some of my favorites are St. Gerard, St. Alphonsus, St. Catherine of Siena, and St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and, of course, Padre Pio. There are so many others…

I see your bishops wear the same vestments as Catholic bishops. This developement is actually good, in my opinion.

For the Christian faith to unify the Protestant religions need to return to the episcopacy. Your church has moved in the right direction.

Now all that need happen is that they come into communion with a valid apostolic line. Not necessarily the Catholic line, but any of the other four Sees will do.

Of course, if they come into communion with the Roman See, they will have come full circle and returned to protestantism’s origin.

Quite frankly its headed in that direction anyway.

Good going and God bless! :thumbsup:
Sub

By the way - what are you guys doing with the Oneness Pentecostals who are modal heretics?

Subrosa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.