Always consecrated bread in Tabernacle?

Is there always consecrated bread in the Tabernacle? If not, how does one know?

Consecrated hosts are not bread. They cease to be bread at the moment of consecration. And no there’s not always consecrated hosts in the tabernacle. I think some places on Good Friday there’s not.

If the tabernacle candle is lit, Jesus is in the tabernacle.

If the lights aren’t on, He’s not home. (In the Real Presence, anyway.)

There is no requirement that the tabernacle always have consecrated Hosts in it, and in fact pastors have to remove the Hosts if they are not sure of the security of the tabernacle, or if the church is being used for secular purposes. (Like a concert that is not of sacred music, or if the pastor is afraid somebody will inadvertently do something offensive to the Lord.) And as people note, there is Good Friday to Holy Saturday.

Also, it is possible to just use up all the consecrated Hosts (until the next Mass, anyway)!

I don’t like an empty tabernacle, but there are occasions when that is proper.

Yes - agreed. Lord forgive me for not stating that correctly.

Thank you - that is what I was looking for!

This is exactly what I was taught in RCIA. :thumbsup:

That’s good - my RCIA left me with a lot to learn on my own. Thanks to a couple really good folks here, I am where I am!

:twocents:
Don’t sweat it – The Church frequently refers to the consecrated hosts as bread. If neither you nor you audience is confused by the word, I wouldn’t worry about it.
:twocents:

In addition to extinguishing the vigil lamp, in my experience at those “scheduled” times that the tabernacle is empty, eg Holy Saturday, the doors are left open to demonstrate that it is empty.

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.