Am Considering Composing Two Novenas

I am considering two Novenas:

1) Regarding my fear of Hell and lack of love for God, requesting mercy, forgiveness of my sins and increase in love for God

2) Regarding my current campaign for local politics and my potential decision to put off the Priesthood in favor of a political career.

For the 1st Novena, I am thinking of addressing it to St. Maria Faustina, Apostle of Divine Mercy

For the 2nd Novena, I am thinking of addressing it to either St. Thomas More (patron of politicians) or Mother Mary (she is the Patroness of the Americas and, as a politician, I would be serving in the United States).

Since I think I maybe in a state of mortal sin due to certain lust issues and the anger/rebellion towards God issues and stuff, should I wait until after I go to Confession to compose and pray any Novenas or can I start now?

Here are 'off-the-top-of-my-head' versions of each Novena. Tell me what you think:

NOVENA TO ST. MARIA FAUSTINA

St. Maria Faustina, you are the Apostle of Divine Mercy, chosen by Our Lord to spread His message of mercy, love and His desire that all souls would return to Him. Help me to accept and recognize His love and mercy in all things and, in turn, to be merciful and loving to others. Help me to follow Christ out of love for Him, not fear of damnation.

Acquire for me the grace of Final Salvation and repentance, that my sins may be forgiven and my entry into Heaven secured and that I may live in eternal bliss with Our Lord, Our Lady and all the Angels and Saints.

St. Maria Faustina, Apostle of Divine Mercy, please pray for me and accept my Novena of prayers to you. Amen.

10x Glory Bes for the intention of:

1) Experiencing God's love and mercy
2) Growing in love for God
3) Final Salvation from Hell and entry into Heaven

NOVENA TO THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Holy Mary, you are the Queen of Heaven and Earth and the Patroness of the Americas and Our Most Loving and Dear Mother. As I discern a life of politics, help me to always faithfully represent Your Son and His Church in everything I do. Help me to avoid scandal and sin, dishonesty and backbiting, to be a politician who truly lives out his faith, not as a mere show, but out of true devotion to you--My Most Loving Mother--Your Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and the Church whom He suffered and died for.

Grant me political success that I might faithfully represent the Church and help bring about Her social values, especially an end to the murder of the unborn and all unjust wars, oppression and prejudice. Grant me the humility to always remember your loving intercessions and that it is on your prayers, the prayers of all the Angels and Saints and the mercy and love of Our Lord Jesus Christ that I should rely upon .

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth and Patroness of the Americas, pray for me now and at the hour of my death and accept my Novena of prayers to you. Amen.

10x Hail Marys for the intention of:

1) The grace to serve God, His Church and Our Blessed Mother in the political realm
2) Success in the political realm
3) Humility to remember my reliance on the prayers and intercessions of Mother Mary and all the Saints and Angels and my reliance on the mercy and love of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

((Is 10x Glory Bes and 10x Hail Marys enough since there are three intentions in each case and I am only 10 total of each or 3 1/3 per intention?))

EDIT: I worry the 2nd Novena is too prideful since I do desire success politically and a part of me would enjoy the trappings of power and honor/glory that go with being a successful politician.

EDIT 2: Part of what draws me to politics is I enjoy the strategizing and planning and being in the thick of things as it were, but there is a definitely a part of me that would enjoy the trappings of power (i.e. living in the Governor's Mansion, that sort of thing) and there is something neat about being able to have a major effect on things.

I think you can pray for God’s mercy at any time :slight_smile:

try to surrender this to God and seek His will first. That’s all that truly counts… maybe He would change your desires and you would still want to be a politician but for a different reason :slight_smile: (think of St Thomas More :))

many people desire success, but when they find it, it’s not as they imagined… it can’t fill that place in our heart. Only God can. We need to get closer to Him and then He will use us… and then, if we achieve success, we won’t even care about that but use our career/vocation to further His Kingdom. In the end, that is much more worth it… but if we care about success first, it’s easy to turn away from God and get distracted and no longer follow Him

God bless

Can I still pray these two Novenas?

Also, is it wrong to ask Saints to ‘grant’ us things or ‘help’ us or are we only supposed to ask them to pray/intercede for us and acquire us graces? I don’t want to commit a heterodox act.

Maybe I should just stick with the 1st Novena since we know that is a good and desirable thing (mercy, experieincing God’s love, showing His love and mercy to others, loving God more, following Him out of love not fear, etc.).

Perhaps the second issue is one I should just talk to Our Blessed Mother about, telling her my feelings, concerns, desires and just leaving it in her hands. After all, she has a perfect relationship with Jesus and is perfectly obedient to the will of God, but she also loves us and desires the best for us as any good (and she is the best of 'em) Mother would.

[quote="nsper7, post:1, topic:180327"]

1) Regarding my fear of Hell and lack of love for God, requesting mercy, forgiveness of my sins and increase in love for God

2) Regarding my current campaign for local politics and my potential decision to put off the Priesthood in favor of a political career.

For the 1st Novena, I am thinking of addressing it to St. Maria Faustina, Apostle of Divine Mercy

For the 2nd Novena, I am thinking of addressing it to either St. Thomas More (patron of politicians) or Mother Mary (she is the Patroness of the Americas and, as a politician, I would be serving in the United States).

Since I think I maybe in a state of mortal sin due to certain lust issues and the anger/rebellion towards God issues and stuff, should I wait until after I go to Confession to compose and pray any Novenas or can I start now?

[/quote]

I write prayers and religious poems all the time. Sometimes the Holy Spirit inspires me to write down words during Mass or Adoration. I think this is a great practice. I have writing gifts, and it is my way to praise God.

-Jeanne

[quote="nsper7, post:1, topic:180327"]

[/quote]

I would wait until after confession to compose the novenas. You might be better able to think about that which is holy and compose a novena better in a state of grace. That said, I honestly don't know about this for sure. I am speculating.

But anyway, wow! I have never thought of composing a novena before. But it sounds like a great idea! Maybe your novenas will become popular and become officially approved by the Church. If I were you, I'd have your priest check over your finished novenas before publishing them on the internet or whatever. That way you can be 100% certain that you did not mistakenly put a theological error or such in it. I am not saying that you would do this. I am just saying that a priest's input would be quite helpful. Plus, you could get some good advice. :)

I hope I did not offend you.

God Bless,
Holly

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.