Am I A Bad Catholic For Not Being Bothered About The Pope Resigning?

Hello, I am a 15 year old Male, and when I found out the Pope resigned I was sort of Shocked but I understood where why he resigned, but when an atheist in my school asked me if I was bothered about who is going to be the next Pope I said not really, as either way I see them as contenders to running the Catholic Church and thats good.
Now I am doubting myself that, I am a Bad Catholic :confused:
Can anybody reassure me I don't think I am bad but now I am kinda stressing that I am a bad Catholic?
I go to Church, and I try to live my life in a good Catholic way but this one thing this atheist said is really getting to me. Help!?

-Michael

Why would that make you a bad Catholic?

I really don't care who the Pope is as long as he's the right guy for the job. The idea that you should be bothered about this is nonsensical.

Basically I have been stressing a lot about religion lately (Getting Over It Thankfully) and this one thing just made me start stressing again. But Thanks for the reply

[quote="Blackspur7, post:3, topic:318256"]
Basically I have been stressing a lot about religion lately (Getting Over It Thankfully) and this one thing just made me start stressing again. But Thanks for the reply

[/quote]

In what ways? I think you ought to talk to a priest about this if it's to the point where you are worried about being a bad Catholic for not being bothered by the Pope's resignation.

It’s fine now as I didn’t go to Church for a while and was doubting the way I live and such, and various other things I have talked to the Priest about this already, but I was just kinda worried about the Pope’s resignation, thank you for your concern though,it’s why I like being a Catholic we are all like one big family :slight_smile:

Honestly, I think the most Catholic response in this situation is to not be bothered. If you believe what the Church says, that Christ will guide His Church, that the Holy Spirit will help the cardinals to elect as Pope the exact Pope for this point in time why in the world would you be bothered or worried about the upcoming election? Its only if you view the election as some sort of human effort, tied up with all sorts of human politics with different sides fighting to get a pope who will agree with them in so that they can control the direction of the Church that you would really be worried about it. Even if the outcome isn’t what you like, there is nothing you can do to effect the outcome and it will be what God wants it to be, so why worry or stress about it?

Thank You For The Reply, and no I don’t sell the new Pope Voting (Sorry I Don’t know the name) as Politics. So in the end though I shouldn’t stress out over it?

[quote="Blackspur7, post:8, topic:318256"]
Thank You For The Reply, and no I don't sell the new Pope Voting (Sorry I Don't know the name) as Politics. So in the end though I shouldn't stress out over it?

[/quote]

Yup, as Catholics we believe that God is guiding this whole process and that evven if we get a pope we don't personally like, that is the Pope God wanted us to have at that particular time. No need to stress out or worry about it. Instead say, "Lord your will be done" and let it go. :thumbsup:

[quote="thewanderer, post:9, topic:318256"]
Yup, as Catholics we believe that God is guiding this whole process and that evven if we get a pope we don't personally like, that is the Pope God wanted us to have at that particular time. No need to stress out or worry about it. Instead say, "Lord your will be done" and let it go. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Thanks you really put my mind to rest!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don’t worry about it! I wasn’t bothered either, I was happy for Benedict, for his service even in old age, and I admired his humility believing that he thought what he was doing was best for the Church. I was also excited at the prospect of the conclave just as I was when Benedict was elected. I doubt he would want us to be upset about the whole affair anyway.

Dittos for the other “non-bothered”.

I find it interesting, but nothing beyond that.

As long as you trust in the Holy Spirit to guide the Cardinals, I think you're on the right track. :thumbsup:

After overcoming my surprise, I was rather excited. A new pope to learn about and learn from. A new era, so to speak. Sometimes I can hardly believe we will (hopefully) have a new papa by the end of the week!!

No, you are not a "bad Catholic." There is no reason to be bothered.

I love Benedict XVI. I was a huge fan of him for many years before he became pope. I have a great fondness and affection for him. But I'm not bothered by his resignation. No pope stays around forever. Our faith is bigger than whoever happens to be pope at that moment in history.

No because you accepted this as God’s will for the Pope and the Church. Don’t let someone take away your peace and put doubts in your head.

I don’t know what the Atheist said in reply but never the less it doesn’t make you a bad Catholic and this so called atheist has no authority to tell you otherwise

I am not particularly interested in one certain person becoming pope I just pray that whoever is elected continues the new evangelization and calls all Catholics to live the gospel and educate eachother

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.