Am I a lazy Catholic?

I really don’t have a burning need to question ever single little last thing about my Faith. While I do like to educate myself about it and learn, I don’t feel that my Faith or spirituality is dependent upon knowing every last theological detail.

So - does this make me a lazy Catholic? :confused: I’m mean, I’m perfectly happy just to believe. :blush: Then some folks come along and say that if you don’t question every last bit then how do you KNOW that you believe what you think you do? And we have new members who ask some of the most unbelievable questions, and all I think is - geeze, if you just believed and had Faith, then you wouldn’t need to ask all these questions!!

NOW - that is not to say that it is bad for folks to do this - not at ALL!!! I think it’s great that people want to learn more about the Catholic Faith!!! But it makes me wonder about myself and if I need to be asking more questions, and if I’m not being a lazy Catholic, just content to believe and not have a need to ask questions.

:shrug: Anyone else feel this way?

~Liza

I don’t, but neither do I consider someone who doesn’t ask complex questions and question every little thing to be lazy.

There is a danger in questioning - because asking exhaustive questions assumes that there is an answer available which we can understand. I’ll use a math example.

Two squared equals four - okay, why?

Unless you are some sort of math genius, this is a question which - eventually - just has to be answered with “That’s the way it is.”

Questions about the faith are the same - eventually, everyone (even St. Thomas Aquinas) comes to the point where he says “And this is what the Church teaches, and therefore it is right.”

I am definiely an inquring person, and perhaps question more than most - but I question with a desire to learn more, not to challenge. I remember distinctly kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament and saying “Okay, Jesus - I’ve looked at this Church of yours and the claims she makes about You and herself. And I agree with all of them I have seen - everything I have tested has stood up. So, right here and now, I make a pledge to say that whatever ELSE the Church teaches, even if I might not agree with it, is true for me. I will believe it, and I have to change what I am to accomodate it.”

There comes a point, I think, where everyone has to make that statement - that simple statement of faith which says “You know, I’ve tested everything I can - I will take the rest on trust.”

Many people don’t do that - many people simply keep testing to destruction (which is fine, but requires acceptance UNTIL destruction. It’s no good saying “Well, I haven’t proved it wrong yet - BUT THAT DOESN’T MEAN IT’S TRUE!!!” That is just silly.)

(Protestants - I am looking at you.)

Ultimately, there is - I think - a difference between saying “I just believe” and “Well, I tested and NOW I believe”. Both are valid approaches - but only the second makes for a good apologist.

Not everyone is called to be an apologist, of course - some people are evangelists and catechists.

“Unless you become as little children…”

Lizaanne, I think you are a humble Catholic, not a lazy one. I think it’s perfectly fine to trust the Church rather than demanding an explanation for every little thing. Isn’t that kind of the essence of faith anyway?

Betsy

Thank you Betsy - :o

I guess that spending too much time on these forums can start to make you question your own self sometimes.

And as for you, Morningkill -

I know I’ll never be much of an apologist because of this - that’s my DH’s job anyway. :wink: (oh, that’s you!! :smiley: )

~Liza

I’m in the process of converting…

Now, I am finally arriving to the stage where the basis of my arguments (unless I need to go in more detail, within the reason of my own knowledge and studies of the Church) is “The Church teaches it, and I believe it. I see how it relates and that’s why I believe it and take it in faith.”

Welcome home to the Truth, Brian!! :slight_smile:

~Liza

Thanks, Liza!

Just continue resting in the arms of God… Remember the “Footprints” story? It appears that you are resting in His arms and He is carrying you at the moment. :wink:

I agree with the others. Not all of us are cut out to be “Thomas Aquinas’” :wink: I’m sure not! :rotfl:

Some of us are more like “Therese of the Child Jesus”. She considered herself “little” and felt she must become more and more “little”. In doing so, God raised her to the greatest honors of the Church.

If you are a “child” in spirit… do not be afraid to remain so. God will show us all what He wants us to be.

God bless.

Wasn’t it St. Bernadette that could not answer a simple Catechism question asked her of a priest?

While I am really into studying the faith, I have to laugh out loud at this thread because I came directly here from a very complex explanation of transubstantiation which was correcting even the most simple of linguistics.

Pray, love the Lord, and practice the virtues! God bless you, Lizaane!

One thing I have noticed when venturing into the Church, is that a lot of people put themselves in certain “groups” like “cradle catholic, cafeteria catholic” or in your case “lazy catholic” I think it’s sad to be honest, there shouldn’t be all these different types of Catholics, imo, we’re all apart of the Body of Christ and should just call each other, Catholics. Of course on the contrary, there are members of certain liturgical rites who you would refer to by their rite, i.e. Maronite Catholic, etc.

Faith is a Gift of God to whomsoever He may be they unlettered or many lettered …and if the Gift is wrapped in simplicity and security in what Faith tells one - God is Good! And if the Gift is wrapped in many questions and many journeys of seeking - God is Good! If the Gift is wrapped in continual Peace - God is Good! And if it be wrapped in many sufferings and great difficulties - God is Good!

Barb:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.