Am I a wimp?

During the week I told God I was going to go to Confession this Saturday. It’s been a month or so. Now it’s Saturday and it’s chilly and rainy out and about a 6 block walk to the Church. Is God going to be upset with me if I don’t go today?

[quote=Stylus]During the week I told God I was going to go to Confession this Saturday. It’s been a month or so. Now it’s Saturday and it’s chilly and rainy out and about a 6 block walk to the Church. Is God going to be upset with me if I don’t go today?
[/quote]

I am not a reader of souls or of what God would do in your particular case, but I would say that if you have the means to go to confession and you promised God you would go and have already put it off, I’d go if I were you! :wink:

The walk would be a nice little bit of mortification for ya. Happy penance!

[quote=Trelow]The walk would be a nice little bit of mortification for ya. Happy penance!
[/quote]

:smiley: :smiley:

[quote=Stylus]During the week I told God I was going to go to Confession this Saturday. It’s been a month or so. Now it’s Saturday and it’s chilly and rainy out and about a 6 block walk to the Church. Is God going to be upset with me if I don’t go today?
[/quote]

You are in the midst of a spiritual battle where the devil is trying to delay and hopefully prevent you from going to the sacrament of reconciliation. Say a prayer to Our Lady of Perpetual Help to strenghten you against such temptation and firmly resolve to go.

:blessyou:

well, the longer you wait, the more you’ll suffer, and the farther you’ll get from God.

If that’s what you want to happen, you make that decision.

I couldn’t understand why I hadn’t taken communion but once in a month and a half (and on a wednesday no less) even though I’d been going to confession almost weekly. So I skipped confession, skipped my holy hour, and skipped mass. Somewhere in my guilt, while staring at a picture of Jesus and his sacred heart I was reminded of something…Grace. The grace of God’s sacred heart and what a beautiful thing it is. I immediately went to confession as soon as I could, and I’ve been doing pretty good since. I’ve been praying more. I’ve been reading more. I recieved the brown scapular. I grew in love for God.

So, I don’t recommend skipping confession, committed holy hours, or mass, but no matter what happens rely on God’s grace and love and see what you can learn from your actions (by asking God to show you).

Stylus:

All of the inconveniences, difficuties and challenges to our devotions, reception of sacrament are the gold nuggets that we pick up along the way so we have something of worth to place at the altar when we get there.

St. Josemaria said that: cold, heat, hunger, suffering are our wealth.

We all need to develop a sporting spirit when it comes to loving and serving our Lord amid the bustle…Graces abound on the other side. If it were easy then no virtue is formed. This struggle is from top to bottom, from the Pope to the First Communicant.

If you need inspiration, read Mother Angelica the biography…that’s the textbook struggle of a saint.

Go for it.

in XT.

[/quote]

Yes, you do sound a little wimpy to me, since you asked. Walking 6 blocks in the rain doesn’t sound very hard to do.

What’s the most important thing in your life, to you? Would you walk to it?

If the answer is not God, your priorities are not aligned properly - you are focused on this world and not God’s world, and the devil is winning.

If the answer is God, you just answered your own question.

You want to start good habits, the devil wants you to start bad habits. Both are hard to break.

Dog gone it, I hate it when you guys force me to be a better person…even when I know it is something I will thank you all for later…thank you…

I’d try not to make promises you are not sure you can keep. Go to confession when you can, as often as you can.

We’re all wimps at times. I still get mad at customers at my work for thier silly behavior, when I vow to control my emotions.

Stylus, please tell us: Did you get off the computer and go to confession or not? :slight_smile:

Yes, a rainy, 6 block walk to church is a wimpy excuse for not going to confession. But the devil will take any excuse he can get to drive a wedge between you and the grace you receive through absolution…wimpy or not…

…and I am guilty of both, at times!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.