Am I Absolved?

I had what felt like a sped-up Confession today, and I’m not sure if I need to go back to Confession or not.

I confessed the big mortal sin I went to confess, and I was trying to remember the other thing I wanted to confess (which I remembered later was procrastinating going to my last Confession), when the priest started reciting a prayer and granting me absolution. So I didn’t get to confess the second sin.

He also didn’t have me say an Act of Contrition, and he didn’t give me any penance.

He did say the words of absolution, so I want to say I’m good to go, but given the circumstances, I’m really not sure. Thanks in advance for the help! :smiley:

It is not necessary that the penitent recite the act of contrition.

We can choose not to impose a penance upon a penitent.

You are absolved.

Good to know; I figured that was the case, but I wasn’t sure.

Just to clear up one more thing: as far as my unconfessed sin goes, I know it was absolved since the priest said the words of absolution and I wasn’t intentionally keeping it from him. Do I still need to confess it before I receive Communion again?

Once your sins are absolved, you may receive Communion…even if you needed to mention something in a subsequent confession. You would not refrain from receiving Communion since the sin is absolved.

One would only have to mention a serious sin in a subsequent confession…but what you mentioned here would not rise nearly to that level.

That’s great to hear; thank you very much!

In case you didn’t know Don Ruggero is a priest so you know his answer is correct.

My last confession, I forgot to say: For these sins and all the sins of my past life, I am truly sorry. I was taught that is the correct way to end your confession. Is that still being done?

The way i look at it is that Jesus in in the confessional with you. He knows everything.

What the priests says is from Jesus. Don’t worry. You’ve been absolved. Who knows you better than Jesus?

Yes, it is taught that way, or with similar words like “I am sorry for these and all my sins.”

I would not worry about forgetting it though, especially if you would have intended it to cover all the venial sins that you cannot remember. Those are absolved in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

I have never been taught to say that and I have been going to Confession for 61 years and no priest has ever asked me to say those words. What those words amount to is an act of contrition–not the formal one, but words saying you are sorry (contrite). And that is what the priest is looking for–for one to show they are sorry for their sins, and the regular Act of Contrition does that if one is truly sorry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.